GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
My current inventory includes one disassembled Talon motor one complete Talon motor with 400 miles on sitting in the Pioneer, and one disassembled Pioneer motor.

As not to get caught up in minor differences
The easiest way to do the swap would be putting all the Pioneer electronics and fuel injectors on the Talon motor and retune the Pioneer's ecm.

The way for the most performance is to use all the Talon parts including the injectors and run a tuned Talon ECM.

You have to use the Pioneer sub trans.

Or I haven't checked to see if it would work but more likely than not you could put the Pioneer out put shaft into the Talon's sub transmission.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
You will also need a Talon ECU.
the Valve body in the Talon motor is different and some timing i belive? There are some other differences as well. When I had a Talon ECU put in my pioneer for some performance upgrades, Snuff had to get into the Honda database $$$ to make some changes in order for it to work with the pioneer and some things had to be omitted/no longer used that i ignore but some might hate. It was a very complex process to line the files up. To put it into prospective, the Pioneer ECU will NOT be compatible with some of the internal control's to that Talon engine without updates.
Could you enlighten me with what internal controls the Pioneer ecu cannot control?

I am not trying to be a smart donkey here is what I got going on I swapped the out the Talon engine one Saturday I don't have time to mess with it right now but we really miss it, and thought it would be a quick fix, I set the motor in and as soon as I got everything plugged in I fired it up without coolant and motor mount bolts in it runs like a champ but blinks a transmission code I think 14 if I remember correctly its been a couple of month ago since I messed with it, as soon as you put it in gear it shuts off. I put my tools away and walked off never looked at it again here in another month I will have time to trouble shoot it.

But if it is as simple as changing the valve body I will take the 45 minutes swap them out, I figure I pinched a wire somewhere in the harness or something stupid like that and take a lot of time to chase down.

The valve bodies look the same if you causally look at them I didn't study them for differences when I was changing the wire harness under the cover and everything pugged in, if you want to have Don call me or post on here that would be great.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
if you want to have Don call me or post on here that would be great.
Does he have your number?
He can explain it much better than I. that would be your best bet to understanding the situation. I know enough to be dangerous with all the particulars. I just know the little i mentioned from conversations i was in on.

Reactions: Lady01
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing is simple now. We live in a computer-controlled age where programming controls everything and is beyond the ability of owners.

In my long-ago youth increasing performance was simple shade-tree mechanic work. Easy horsepower gains were achieved with twin carburetors and dual exhaust with free-flowing mufflers. To go big we could increase compression by milling head sufraces and replacing factory camshafts with high lift long duration grinds. Advancing ignition timing was a simple matter of roating the distributor to fire earlier in the combustion cycle.

A simple ring gear and pinion change in the differential could dramatically improve quarter mile acceleration.

For major power increase we could bore engine blocks out larger and install bigger pistons and even replace crankshafts and rods with to increase stroke.

No one had ever heard of a computer or programming in those days.

Life was simple then.

When I get my smarty out to tune my cummins it makes me giggle thinking I'm holding a whole Honda civic in the palm of my hand :p

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I thought I would update this thread.
I got my Pioneer going it turned I had broken a wire at the main plug on the back of the engine now she runs and shift's like a champ.

I have no back to back comparisons but the performance really is no different than the Pioneer motor with the Talon intake adapter, throttle Bodie, and cam.
In the far distant future I will upgrade my exhaust to two and quarter inch tube like the Talon to see if it will pickup some top end.
In a nut shell it was all plug and play by swapping every wire on it off the Pioneer.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought I would update this thread.
I got my Pioneer going it turned I had broken a wire at the main plug on the back of the engine now she runs and shift's like a champ.

I have no back to back comparisons but the performance really is no different than the Pioneer motor with the Talon intake adapter, throttle Bodie, and cam.
In the far distant future I will upgrade my exhaust to two and quarter inch tube like the Talon to see if it will pickup some top end.
In a nut shell it was all plug and play by swapping every wire on it off the Pioneer.
Are you comparing a pioneer motor with talon intake, talon throttle body, and talon cam versus a complete talon motor inside of a pioneer; Or are you saying you added a talon intake, talon throttle body, and talon cam to a pioneer motor and comparing it to a stock pioneer motor?

Reactions: Smitty335