Pioneer vs Rhino

D

dave007

Oct 12, 2013
I just got my Pioneer 700-4 camo a few days ago and have some first impressions.
I kept my 4yr old Rhino 700 which has over 4000 miles.
I must say the Rhino is faster and smoother riding than the Pioneer in rough conditions. I also like the seat much better in the Rhino, mainly because it's a bucket seat and just fits me better.
That being said I still think I will like the Pioneer after I get used to it. It will be used mainly for utility type work, and an occasional trip to the mountains. I think it's a good combination of sport and utility, I just wish they had put more effort into the suspension.
The engine noise is about the same, but I think I like the sound of the Pioneer better.
The Pioneer turns easier than the Rhino, but my Rhino doesn't have the power steering option.
I also like the doors better on the Pioneer.
Overall impression is good but not great. It's nice knowing its a Honda. I think it will hold up good
under the rough working conditions I will put it through. If it's as good as my Rhino has been, I will be happy.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Interesting.
What power steering option?

When i got the SxS bug several months ago, the Rhino was my default choice. It's tough and proven.

A few weeks back i finally got a test ride on a used ( 3800 mile ) unit. It looked to have been taken care of pretty well, but I was actually a bit surprised by the noise, vibration, and racket the Rhino had. Disappointed is probably too strong of a word for it, but...
The other thing that struck me was the gearing. Even in low range, the thing seemed much higher geared than i would have expected. Maybe it wasn't a good example of the breed.
But to be honest, that test ride actually put the Pioneer on the top of my list. The Rhino started all this..and is still my second choice, but in many respects, it shows its age. I'd still take it over the Viking, though.

D

dave007

Oct 12, 2013
I think your right about the power steering. It's only available on the Viking.

I rode them both over a rough pasture and the Pioneer was rougher, which may be because the shocks are still new on the Pioneer.
I'm really disappointed Yamaha didn't make more changes in the Viking. Like you say, they started the side by side craze with the Rhino...but they have been left behind by other manufacturers the past few years.
I'm excited to have a Honda again after getting rid of my Rubicon when I bought my fist Rhino 8 yrs ago. (I still have an old Recon that's
pretty much bullet proof)
I will be looking forward to see what after market kits they come out with for the Pioneer.

My accessories are: Hard Top
Optical windshield
Rearview mirror
Bed mat
Waiting for winch kit

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I suspect taking the sway bar off the Pioneer would help ride quality as well.

B

Bfree

Sep 20, 2013
WOW!!! Surprising review. I would of expected the Pioneer to at least have the power and ride quality the old Rhino 700. I have the RZR 4 and I know the power and ride and is better than a rhino b/c me and my cousin (who has a rhino) ride a lot together and we sometimes drive ea. others just to see the diff. Seriously reconsidering not getting the Pioneer now. I like to ride a lot and I would hate to give up the ride quality much less that much power. I guess it all depends what I want more power and ride quality or utility. From the reviews ive read it seems the P4 is probably going to a good all around SXS but not great in one particular category. Well time will tell.

BTW, I took the rear sway bar off my Rzr 4 when I 1st got It and it did help with the suspension and articulation of the ride.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I didn't ride them back to back, so i can't be certain...but i thought the Pioneer i drove had about the same power as the Rhino i tested. The numbers say it should be about the same. There is a video posted of a 0-30 run of the Pioneer. I was actually surprised by how quickly it hits 30. It's no powerhouse, but i think it's adequate.

Keep in mind that his Pioneer is new. It will get stronger and ride better with some miles.

There are also unknowns: Let a 1 PSI out of the tires, and it makes a HUGE difference in ride quality. Heck...the tires themselves make a big difference. I suggest that before you eliminate the Pioneer, you give it a test drive for yourself.

D

dave007

Oct 12, 2013
Talking about tires reminds me that I do have radials on the Rhino. That can make a big difference in ride quality. Radials might shoud be my next Pioneer upgrade.

B

Bfree

Sep 20, 2013
I haven't completely ruled it out, I know there are lets of varibles involved like tires, drivers, terrain etc. I'm just gonna take a wait and see attitude. BTW I have test drove a P2 and it was abit difficult to get a feel for the ol girl though b/c I only got a few mins to test ride.

B

BuggyMasters

Jan 5, 2014
Ill 2nd the notion. Rhino is certainly more comfortable and I'd say more power. I test drove the Viking recently and was VERY impressed other than the baby looking tires.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I also test drove a Viking very briefly. More room, more power, more noise, more vibration, more price. It also felt as though it rode worse than my Pioneer, but that would be hard to say until tire pressures are equalized.

Kinda ugly too, IMO. Honestly...i think i might rather have a Rhino.

Valve adjustments would be a breeze, though.

My buddy simply won't fit in a Pioneer, so he is getting a Viking. I will undoubtedly get to compare the 2 out on the trail pretty often, and I'll report back.

advertisement
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
It took 500 miles for the suspension to soften up on the Rincon.
My sway bar was on hooked after the first ride. Completely different ride when trails are rough.
Its just tyied back now I will completely remove it when the snow is gone and it feels OK at speed.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389319021913.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389319021913.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 698
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
spifyd said:
It took 500 miles for the suspension to soften up on the Rincon.
My sway bar was on hooked after the first ride. Completely different ride when trails are rough.
Its just tyied back now I will completely remove it when the snow is gone and it feels OK at speed.

What size battery is that you've got there???

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
its a 35 amp hour lead acid. I bought it at the surplus electronics place up the street from my work. I go there a lot for my work project's.
it looked about the right size to go there so I made a bracket and slid it in. total cost 30 bucks. helps with the winches the lights don't go out any more when I use them. lol

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
Well maybe if you make me a pair of these I'll make you a battery mount and send you a battery with it

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389375301998.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389375301998.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 649
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That will be difficult with the compound shape but send me a template that is EXACT fit and I can try.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
I'm not to impressed with my pioneer either. I have only driven it in 800 acre pasture for 2 hours I think it'll loosen up. It's goin have to cause its gonna get a lot of miles miles on the ranch this year.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!