Multi Planning trip to Gatlinburg

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We are planning a trip to the Gatlinburg area this summer.We would like to take our sxs ,but don't really care to tow it 900 miles . We decided we would rent an ATV or sxs for a day or two while there to ride in the mountains and explore the sights.Has anyone else done this and could maybe recommend a good reasonably priced place to do this? Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks,Iowaguy

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can't take your SxS anywhere in the Smokey Mts National Park you can't drive a car. They FROWN upon it. Tellico Plains ORV which was near the National Park closed because of all of the mud in the run off.

WindRock is a couple of hours from Gatlinburg and has really good riding. There are a few places within a 2hr drive of Gatlinburg you could go.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
And that sucks...
Windrock and surrounding areas would be the best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Our vacation would involve 8 days in the area any good places to rent an ATV and ride within 100 miles of Gatlinburg would be great

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Our vacation would involve 8 days in the area any good places to rent an ATV and ride within 100 miles of Gatlinburg would be great

There is over 1000 miles of mapped trails in the TWMA referred to as Royal Blue about 60-70 miles from Gatlinburg. The system is referred to as Royal Blue by many but consists of multiple units all managed by state of TN. On this public ground only one person in the SxS needs a permit.

Maps are here if you use a GPS trail riding, paper maps are available at campgrounds below and on their websites as well.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/446/

The 3 most popular places are:
Ride Royal Blue https://www.rideroyalblue.com/
Trailsend Campground http://www.camptrailsend.com/index.html
&
Brimstone which has its own private property you pay for rather than the TN permit for public lands:
http://www.brimstonerecreation.com/

I know for a fact Brimstone offers rental ATV & SxS you will have to call the other two places. It is beautiful country and awesome trails. Good luck and have a safe and enjoyable trip.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks JACKAL! I appreciate the info.
Not a problem, actually the wife and I are headed down there this Friday to look at property to purchase near Pioneer TN and all those trails will be out my back door. We have been going to the area for over 7 years you will have a great time. If you go to Royal Blue check out the 200+ elk herd inside the management area, you ride to within 1/4 mi of it and there is a viewing tower that oversees a large pasture.

Reactions: iowaguy
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Lucky you Jackal being able to look at property in Tennessee, That is our goal when we retire but that won't happen for another 8 years.To cold in the winter and to many corn fields in Iowa .But we still love it here, Makes you look forward to the change of season

Reactions: JACKAL
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I was thinking.. It cost about $200-300 a day to rent a SxS not 100% sure. if whatever you pull your SxS with gets good MPG it might be cheaper to just pull yours. We go to Gatlinburg about 3 times a year. We have been thinking about buying property near there. There was a cabin with like 10 acres for sale on Stinking creek rd in pioneer tenn. Right down from royal blue. The lady that rents it out said she was going to put it on the market. We stay there when we go ride at royal blue. Black pine cabins. It's really nice and it's like 50 yards from a river.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We would pull it ,but four people in a regular cab pickup is a little tight,I love my family ,but that's pushing it !

Reactions: scott
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Lucky you Jackal being able to look at property in Tennessee, That is our goal when we retire but that won't happen for another 8 years.To cold in the winter and to many corn fields in Iowa .But we still love it here, Makes you look forward to the change of season
You would really like TN in the fall if you can go sometime. We planned many vacations the 2nd & 3rd week of OCT. just to trail ride while the leaves as turning colors / falling in the mountains it's really beautiful. In IL there is no legal places to ride of any interest I have always had to trailer to KY or TN to get my fix. I live downstate and property taxes are crazy just a 2400sq ft. home is 5K a year I can live in the same thing in Scott or Campbell Co in TN for $800-$900 and no income tax on our pensions so that's a big draw for us beside the area and things to do outside.

Reactions: ohanacreek

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!