The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
If by plastic, you mean stock plates...then no.

If by plastic, you mean UHMW plates...then yes.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
It depends on where you ride, and your riding style. In my area there are very few rocks and heavily rutted places, and when I do encounter something realy ugly looking, I slow down or go around. The biggest problem I have is sticks, stumps, logs, and a occasional high center on hard dirt. The original plates have plenty of scratches and scuffs, but have always done their job.
If you're going to drive it like stole it, get something stronger.

Last edited:
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
The stock plastic seems good enough for rocks and sticks kicked up by the tires and high centering like previously stated. For rock crawling or riding trails with a high potential of frame grinding I would think aluminum or a thicker UHMW plastic would be preferred. I will be going out west this summer and am now considering between making an aluminum skid plate or making one out of .25" HDPE.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Some hard rock hits with an aluminum aftermarket. The span between frame members led to bowing and rubbing on motor mount. Bent back with tractor. If doing again would buy UHMW.
315FAA82 A133 49DB A24F 5C5F268BDB6C39184FF6 CC89 4F6F B57F 6756E3B49501

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Factory Skid -- lite duty use is all it's meant for.

I have Full Set of -- SSS off road UHM Skid & A-Arm Guards on 2018 P500.

UHM Plastic has No Memory ( doesn't dent ) & less noisy , Handles Repeated Hard Use Better than Metal.

Alluminum -- Little Less Weight -- Has Memory (Dents ) -- Is Noisey -- Doesn't Handle Repeated Hard Use as Good as UHM

4th machine have had UHM on & will not return to Metal.

Last edited:
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone tried HDPE. I can buy a 4' x 8' sheet at my local Lowes but can't find the UHMW locally. My plan was to take the stock skid plate off and use them as a template for the HDPE, with the exception of moving the ill placed whole in the back to line up with the rear axle drain bolt.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
UHM Takes impacts better than HDPE
UHM Slides better than HDPE
Cold weather has less effect on UHM.
If you plan on keeping the machine several years -- UHM is the way to go -- only do the Skid Once.
UHM is pricey -- long haul you will --- save $$$$$

Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I have the full set of UHWH (heavy duty plastic) ones from SSS Offroad.Ccovers bottom of machine including both rear and front suspension A-arms. Wife drives our 2016 P5 harder than I do, and I'm convinced we'd been in for some long walks with her driving in the mountains due to hard A-arm hits without those skids.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I still have to put my new skidplate on, waiting till my snow is gone so i can take the plow mount off first...
But before that, I have to install the Torq locker...
And before that, I gotta get the power steering installed...

and the GMRS radio...
and the backup lights...
and the snorkel...
and vent lines...

I might have time to ride it summer of 2022, lol

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I still have to put my new skidplate on, waiting till my snow is gone so i can take the plow mount off first...
But before that, I have to install the Torq locker...
And before that, I gotta get the power steering installed...

and the GMRS radio...
and the backup lights...
and the snorkel...
and vent lines...

I might have time to ride it summer of 2022, lol

Yeah doing mods and accessories through the winter sucks. You get neck deep into it and mother nature decides to dump on your a**. Reinstall half of it for a 20 min job then you get to wrench on a dripping wet mess.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a sheet of UHMW in 9.5mm thickness in black. Used the stock skid for a pattern, didn’t include any of the stock holes aside from rear diff access. Also installed stock vent under engine. UHMW is easy to work with using wood working tools, I counter sunk the stock washers and used a little longer bolts. Has withstood many impacts with rocks, stumps etc. Very robust material much much more so then the stock plastic one. Great mod.

R

Romano

Jan 18, 2016
Cody,WY
I bought 1/8" aluminum and cut out pieces using the stock plastic as a pattern. The aluminum can be cut to shape with a saber saw with an aluminum cutting blade. I then mounted the aluminum with the the plastic on the outside as it will glide over rocks where the aluminum will grab. The aluminum gives a great backing to the plastic. Been on for about 6 years and has worked great.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!