P500 Plastic Skid Plates?

papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have talked to the mechanics and personnel at my local Honda shop and they have never seen a broken or cracked skid plate. I have a 2018 500 with stock tires and have hit bottom with many rocks and such with no damage. But I did have a branch come through the floor, I took an old microwave cover and shaped it, and put it on the sides where the plate is not in hope of blocking sticks that will flip up again.

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a sheet of UHMW in 9.5mm thickness in black. Used the stock skid for a pattern, didn’t include any of the stock holes aside from rear diff access. Also installed stock vent under engine. UHMW is easy to work with using wood working tools, I counter sunk the stock washers and used a little longer bolts. Has withstood many impacts with rocks, stumps etc. Very robust material much much more so then the stock plastic one. Great mod.
Where did you pick up your UHMW at?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can use single ply tp if you want but I believe most of us get better quality tp and don’t end up with crap on our hands and beat up undercarriages. Skid plates are a similar situation...thicker is better.

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
You can use single ply tp if you want but I believe most of us get better quality tp and don’t end up with crap on our hands and beat up undercarriages. Skid plates are a similar situation...thicker is better.

6921924A BCB3 4B7E A579 238D7EF8DE4A

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did the research and UHMW seems to be superior for real tough riding, but it is also tough on the pocket. + or - $500.00 for a P1000. Gulp Instead I slow down and drive more conservative, but I understand the need for speed too. LOL

Reactions: Mudwing
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!