Talon Playing in the snow

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
Being new here to the forum I’m sure this has been discussed many times before but humor me. Do a lot of you guys ride in the snow? How much snow can your vehicle handle? I live on a lake in N.E. Michigan and I see snowmobiles flying up and down the lake all the time and just wondered if this is worth trying with a Talon.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Being new here to the forum I’m sure this has been discussed many times before but humor me. Do a lot of you guys ride in the snow? How much snow can your vehicle handle? I live on a lake in N.E. Michigan and I see snowmobiles flying up and down the lake all the time and just wondered if this is worth trying with a Talon.
Wow! Can't believe you haven't tried it already! Pics or it didn't happen!

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been pulling kids on the two tracks with the 1000-5 just west of the house. They don't get as dirty as quick either. 9693f77ffe4ac339b1fe03fa44e2432b

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Hell yes run it in the snow!!! These things are a blast in snow. I may even enjoy it more that dry dirt.

And like what stateboy said pulling the kids around is a blast. Any chance we get we are out there.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m sure you’ll do good in Michigan, gets sketchy in the Rocky Mountains, precipices and all. But it’s a blast in levelish terrain…👍

Reactions: Buggyman
Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
Wow! Can't believe you haven't tried it already! Pics or it didn't happen!
Unfortunately Smitty I’m still in the waiting stage 😢. The deposit is down on a new Talon 4X with the live valve. The dealer says should be arriving at the end of the month. I know, no pics - never happened. I figured I’d ask my questions now because once it arrives I’m not getting out of it for days! Sounds like you have had experience in the snow. Does anybody ever put chains on these things?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah people have put chains and tracks on them. Every time smitty rides in the snow we get a good look at the belly of his Pioneer…😂

advertisement
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a P1K and run it a lot in the snow. I'm in NW WI. Use it all winter for ice fishing. One thing I did that helps a lot on lakes and hard pack is add sheet metal screws as studs in the tires. Obviously the tires you have will dictate what you can use. My tires have very aggressive lugs, prob 1.5" +. I used #8 x 1/2" hex head. You can buy studs made for this, but it gets a bit pricey. I've found screws are effective, don't really wear out and I have never lost even 1.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
welcome to the club from NE Ohio. I say if you trust ice go for it.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a P1K and run it a lot in the snow. I'm in NW WI. Use it all winter for ice fishing. One thing I did that helps a lot on lakes and hard pack is add sheet metal screws as studs in the tires. Obviously the tires you have will dictate what you can use. My tires have very aggressive lugs, prob 1.5" +. I used #8 x 1/2" hex head. You can buy studs made for this, but it gets a bit pricey. I've found screws are effective, don't really wear out and I have never lost even 1.

we did the same thing on our 200x three wheelers for years worked great

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last weekend. 10" of ice, but didn't know how much until we got out there. Will have the Pioneer out tomorrow! Has to be 12"-14" by now with this cold snap. A1510d219dcb2378ef263d81c5210a0fCdfa1fd1c06a35f67cbc6da3e0d20fd6134be1dbac00ffd4f4a1f7d19d6de2de

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where in NE Ohio? I get there every few months for work. Working in Lisbon, usually stay at the HIE in Salem.

wolf359

wolf359

Nov 23, 2019
Appalachia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OP you mention snowmobiles on a lake. Keep in mind that is a very different machine weight and weight distribution wise compared to a SxS. I'd suggest doing some research and drilling the ice before venturing out. Here's a good place to start that research....

Ice Thickness and Strength for Various Loading Conditions from the US Army Corps of Engineers

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!