P700 Please Help. Transmission issue

H

Hawkdiver

Aug 6, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2013 700-4 Automatic and it has performed flawlessly in the past 4 years.. I have done all services at a dealer when required and just finished my 3rd service. I use this vehicle for work around the farm. The last few months I have noticed that it has a lot of trouble up shifting from all gears. I figured the service would fix the issue and it did not. I did some trouble shooting today and it seems it shifts fine if I am ging downhill at about 1/4-1/2 throttle. If I get on flat ground I have to give it more than 50% throttle to accelerate and it wont shift. Sounds like it is hitting a rev limiter and refuses to shift until I let off the gas slow down a bit and re engage throttle at <50%. This problem presents itself in all gears... Please any info would be a GREAT help

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 2013 700-4 Automatic and it has performed flawlessly in the past 4 years.. I have done all services at a dealer when required and just finished my 3rd service. I use this vehicle for work around the farm. The last few months I have noticed that it has a lot of trouble up shifting from all gears. I figured the service would fix the issue and it did not. I did some trouble shooting today and it seems it shifts fine if I am ging downhill at about 1/4-1/2 throttle. If I get on flat ground I have to give it more than 50% throttle to accelerate and it wont shift. Sounds like it is hitting a rev limiter and refuses to shift until I let off the gas slow down a bit and re engage throttle at <50%. This problem presents itself in all gears... Please any info would be a GREAT help
Have you googled it?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
for the past 4 hours.. have found zero information that helps.. or guidance for the 700 specifically
Does it have a filter in the transmission by any chance? go to parts fishe on line through a Honda dealership site and pull up the transmission and look for a filter part. Sorry I'm really no help, but that is what I would do.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
You may try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes...this may reset the module and allow the trans to "re learn" the shift points. Just a thought..

Reactions: Bastardchild
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm not sure that is it on a 2014... That works for computer compensating for air pressure....But I'm wrong more the older I get...
I say this a lot but how's the oil level?
The engine shifts at gear rpm and mph together.
Did you try just letting off gas to force a shift.
Also if you have drag on engine, like brake on it won't shift normally.
Do what 700 Delux said. It won't hurt

Reactions: Deluxe700
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
for the past 4 hours.. have found zero information that helps.. or guidance for the 700 specifically

Its the same engine / transmission as the Rincon and the Big Red (SxS).
Might try googling Rincon.
They have been around a lot longer.
Sorry, not a solid lead. Its all I got.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Hawkdiver just on the odd chance over time, there is an internal screen filter that can get clogged. It's purpose is to keeps any big chunks that may break loose from destroying the rest of the engine. Bad thing is, only way to check it is split the crankcase. It is a stainless steel mesh screen than can be cleaned. Part Number: 15421-HC4-005. Here is parts fiche, part #4 in diagrahm.
Screenshot 20170807 083433

Another, unlikely explanation that does not fit with your timeline of issues, is the regular engine oil filter put in backwards? If done so the result is usually catastrophic. But that machine moves off hydraulics, leads me belive something is awry with oil flow.

Another issue that has caused some P700,s to bog down lose power and move is a baffle in exhaust breaks loose, bad weld. Seems ok at low rpm but apply throttle it can keep it from moving until you let off the gas. A handful have reported this happening over last 4 years.

Lastly, grasping at straws some P700 have had cams go bad and small chance this could affect how your machine ran and degraded over time.

B

BAMASXSRIDER

Feb 6, 2017
ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like the throttle position sensor is either bad or out of adjustment, due to the fact it shifts going down hill, with I assume less throttle pressure. It sounds like throttle position sensor is telling the computer you are wide open throttle which will hold it in gear longer. I am by no means a SXS mechanic, but in the automobile world that would be my first thing to check.

N

ncemt237

May 1, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
i got a brand new 700 that wont shift after 11mph, like 1hrs and 10miles...... Im going to take it to the dealer tomorrow

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don't know about the 700 but if it were a car I would say you had a bad engine speed sensor. Does your rig have one?

Last edited:
N

ncemt237

May 1, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the quick feedback. Obviously, since several of you have said that there must be something to the answer. Im at work and will try the seat belts. That being said, every time i rode it prior to today i didn't wear the seat belt either and it ran 43mph where the gov kicked it, so if the seatbelt is the problem, the machine just remembered...... I'll Post back in the AM.... If it was the seatbelt, you guys saved me an hour ride back to the dealer.....

PS, I had a 2016 500 and it either didnt have a seat belt related limiter, or it never worked, but i found another post on bypassing it on a 500....

Last edited:
Reactions: swsebek
R

Ridgerunner11

Nov 15, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sorry to revive an old thread but did you ever figure out what caused your issue? I'm having this same problem on a 700-4. Shifts and runs fine going downhill then seems to have no power or want to upshift with any uphill slope.

Thanks!

Reactions: Ohio4x4
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry to revive an old thread but did you ever figure out what caused your issue? I'm having this same problem on a 700-4. Shifts and runs fine going downhill then seems to have no power or want to upshift with any uphill slope.

Thanks!
The dude that had the problem hasn't been on here since 2017. People join up when they have a problem, then never post the solution to their problems. And then never to be seen again. If you figure it out you should post the fix for someone in the future.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks!
I have a 2007 rincon and when riding in WV one day it was not wanting to shift right going uphill. Got to looking and seen my engine oil drain plug had come loose and lost some oil. Tightened it up and added oil and then never had a problem again. I've never had an issue with my 2014 pioneer 700.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!