P1000 Polar Bear Challenge

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Took the Pioneer out for a swim today.

Went out to Knik Glacier again with some friends. Broke through the ice at the first crossing (Jim Creek).

Winched it out, no problem, ride on.

Sunk it again on the way back, same creek, different line. Followed a couple of RZRs and my left front broke through.

Winch out, clear ice chunks from suspension and ride on!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow. And here I was all frustrated for burying my front-end in a deep mudhole lol. That's some scary stuff breaking through the ice. Be careful out there man.

Reactions: MAV
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Wow. And here I was all frustrated for burying my front-end in a deep mudhole lol. That's some scary stuff breaking through the ice. Be careful out there man.
This is the same crossing from the Fisher's ATV video, about the 12 minute mark.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Must have gotten a little water in the shift cables. Tried to get them machine off the trailer and it feels like the shifter is froze in park. Don't want to risk breaking something, so I'll wait till tomorrow when the temps are supposed to be in the high 30s.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last couple of years I've had this strange desire to spend a couple weeks in AK. Wife thinks I'm nuts lol. I watch every Alaska reality show I can.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Last couple of years I've had this strange desire to spend a couple weeks in AK. Wife thinks I'm nuts lol. I watch every Alaska reality show I can.

Don't believe everything they show on those reality series. Most of those people are stupid!

Reactions: AKRider
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't pay any attention to the people. Just the scenery and wildlife. Normally I'm a sandy beach kinda guy and can't stand cold weather. That's why wife thinks I may have lost my mind lol

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@AK_Centurion if you haven't already, you may want to consider wider front tires to help spread the pressure on the ice. from the photos, it looks like your razor buddies have wider front tires. the stock 9" tires on the Honda probably cut through like a knife.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Hard to tell from the pictures but that ice look thin - not even 2". How thick would you say it was @AK_Centurion?

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
@AK_Centurion if you haven't already, you may want to consider wider front tires to help spread the pressure on the ice. from the photos, it looks like your razor buddies have wider front tires. the stock 9" tires on the Honda probably cut through like a knife.

I'm thinking about running 30x10 all the way around. Just waiting for everything to thaw out and see how everyone's tires do in the mud.
2 of the RZRs were still on stock tires, but they are 29", and a lot lighter of a machine.

Hard to tell from the pictures but that ice look thin - not even 2". How thick would you say it was @AK_Centurion?

I would say it was 3-4", but not a solid sheet. Many trucks have broke the ice in that section. It was either find a line across or turn around. None of us would have done it if there were no one else around.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Must have gotten a little water in the shift cables. Tried to get them machine off the trailer and it feels like the shifter is froze in park. Don't want to risk breaking something, so I'll wait till tomorrow when the temps are supposed to be in the high 30s.

Found where the water got in and froze. This little box under the floorboard, behind driver seat.

I was able to melt the ice with a heat gun. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the box and dump all the water out. Blew it dry and coated it with WD-40. Cover doesn't seem to be water tight, so it may be a good idea to check this before the weather gets cold again.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Found where the water got in and froze. This little box under the floorboard, behind driver seat.

It was froze solid! I was able to melt the ice with a heat gun. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the box and dump all the water out. Blew it dry and coated it with WD-40. Cover doesn't seem to be water tight, so it may be a good idea to check this before the weather gets cold again.

This box controls the rear diff lock. The single cable on the back side goes to the locker. The other 2 cables go to the shift levers. 1 is the bracket that moves when you go from 2wd to turf. The other goes to parking lever. This box disables Turf mode and locks the rear axle when you park.

I couldn't get out of park and I couldn't move the other lever to turf. That is what made me decide to open up this box.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I heard there was a vent line on that box. water could have come in there. your the first to mention that the cover may not be watertight. I'll have to pull mine and check it out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Woohh. That would be scary to bust through. Hope it is not too deep.

Yet like everyone else. I would love to spend a week in AK.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!