Talon PowerCommander Vision 3

T

Tommer

Oct 6, 2019
Minneapolis
Ownership

1. Talon X
Anyone buy and install one of these? Worth it? Any actual improved performance?

I don't see anything for reviews or even commentary on the powercommander vision 3 for the talon. Also goes for the exhaust upgrades on a talon (which pretty much requires a tune), other than the exhaust sounds cool or is lighter than stock...

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You are mixing up/combining the names of 2 different tuners and they are very different. Are you talking about the "Power Commander V" (aka PCV) or the "Power Vision 3" (aka PV3)? Both are available for the Talon.

PCV (16-076) is a leave-in piggyback type tuner that intercepts your PCU signals and changes them. You wire it directly to the sensors and injectors, it does not attach to the PCU data port. You buy or create tunes/maps and download them to it via a laptop. I believe that you can only adjust the fuel and timing with this setup. You can also incorporate a wideband O2 and do some pseudo auto tuning with it.

PV3 (PV3-16-03) is a PCU flasher, it connects the PCU data port. It will hold many tunes and you can then flash them to your PCU one at a time (takes about 5-7 minutes). You can buy/create tunes for this one too. The PV3 allows you to adjust just about everything including the DCT. Canned tunes are easy, custom tunes can be very daunting for a novice. It also includes a screen for real-time data monitoring if you want to leave it connected.

Personally, I have the HMF exhaust and the PV3 but I am not happy with the canned tune I am using. It seems to run lean so I am going to data log it and get to the bottom of it over the winter. Others are having success with it so not sure where the problem is for me and won't know until I have time to install a wideband and get some data logs going.

Just so you know, DJ's website is not working all that well. Although other websites list the the 16-076 Power Commander V for the Talon, it does not show up on DynoJet's website when you search for a Talon. It even wrongfully shows it doesn't fit...

Upload 2019 12 5 10 57 10

I have talked to DJ customer support about other things and they acknowledge that the website is not currently working as expected. There are multiple products that fit the Talon but only the PV3 comes up when searched. So far, these are the combinations that I have found for the DynoJet products...
  • PV3-16-03 Power Vision 3 stand alone or connected to the WB-PV16-1 Wideband for data logging and custom tuning.
  • 16-076 Power Commander V stand alone or connected to AT200 Wideband (or AT300 Dual Wideband) for data logging, custom tuning and Auto Tune.
Don't really know if DynoJet's PCV+AT200 and AutoTune will work on the Talon. The PCU forces ~14.7 AFR because the narrowband O2 installed. The Honda Grom uses an almost exact same method and folks on that forum are saying you can use Autotune but the PCU always settles back to a leaner mixture somewhere between 14.5-14.7 AFR so the AutoTune corrections fight with the stock PCU.

DynoJet is a very confusing brand. They use the terminology to describe a product and a process. For instance, AutoTune is a Wideband sensor device and the name of the process that is done to tune with a wideband. You can buy an AutoTune and you can also perform AutoTune. Yes, very confusing.

Last edited:
T

Tommer

Oct 6, 2019
Minneapolis
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah you are right and thanks for the reply. I am referencing the PV3 (flash tuner). That does seem the way to go as it does not piggy backing the ECU (introduce more to go wrong).

Agreed DynoJet's webpage is pretty bad for a company that I would think is fairly technical from the line of business they are in. They can program an ECU, but not a webpage...

Seems to me a lot of aftermarket exhaust makers (EVO/Trinity/Etc) are selling the exhaust and a PV3 with the correct maps/tune matched to exhaust for a markup (PV3 should be $379, but charging $500 or more) and not posting the tunes to the public facing site for people that already have a PV3, which makes me a bit weary about buying their exhaust or the PV3 at this point in time if they are not going to be open with the tunes/with no reviews/dyno numbers to back anything. Just the canned "massive power gains" and "sounds better than stock", which means basically nothing as I pretty much have to buy it to try it.

I appreciate the feedback about where you are at with your PV3 and the HMF exhaust. Maybe I am a bit early wanting a PV3 as there isn't very much adoption as of yet?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I LOVE the HMF QS that I got, it is just slightly louder than stock and gives the machine a very nice rumble and it took off a few pounds to boot. All the other systems were way too noisy for me (even the other HMF systems) so I went with the QS even though they don't quite flos as well as the noisier systems.

I also have a couple Quiet Cores for it when trail riding with the wifey, she hates noise (although she didn't complain or even say anything after I installed the exhaust so she must not have noticed or she would have most definitely said something). I still need to tune for the Quiet Cores so I haven't tried them yet but I think it might actually be quieter than stock with them in. I will leave this exhaust on regardless, I simply love it.

Just to be clear, I am NOT running the HMF or DJ Tune, I am running another tuner's custom/canned tune and the jury is still out on it.

DJ actually has a couple tunes that come with the PV3 for free and one of them is for the HMF Full system...
  • Honda Talon Stock exhaust Stock intake Altered fuel Altered timing Raised rev limit
  • Honda Talon HMF full exhaust Stock intake Altered fuel Altered timing Raised rev limit +300rpm
Honestly, I think the stock exhaust/intake and the first tune listed will be the most bang for the buck. It re-maps the stock setup and you get around 6 HP for the price of the tuner (<$75/HP) and a much more responsive motor. Any more gains get exponentially more expensive but the sound of the exhaust was well worth the cost to me so I don't regret getting it (although it was somewhat of a PITA to install, real tight fit where the mufflers are placed).

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
I LOVE the HMF QS that I got, [...] I am NOT running the HMF or DJ Tune, I am running another tuner's custom/canned tune and the jury is still out on it.

DJ actually has a couple tunes that come with the PV3 for free and one of them is for the HMF Full system....

@PaulF , I am running the same QS slip-on, and currently trying out the DJ HMF full-system tune. It smells SUPER rich to me. Just curious: Can you share some info on where you got your tune? Also, are you setup for AFR logging? Lastly, did you try the stock-exhaust tune from DJ w/ the QS? Curious if fueling is a little more in-line with the less-restrictive, but not wide-open QS can.

Thanks!

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I LOVE the HMF QS that I got, it is just slightly louder than stock and gives the machine a very nice rumble and it took off a few pounds to boot. All the other systems were way too noisy for me (even the other HMF systems) so I went with the QS even though they don't quite flos as well as the noisier systems.

I also have a couple Quiet Cores for it when trail riding with the wifey, she hates noise (although she didn't complain or even say anything after I installed the exhaust so she must not have noticed or she would have most definitely said something). I still need to tune for the Quiet Cores so I haven't tried them yet but I think it might actually be quieter than stock with them in. I will leave this exhaust on regardless, I simply love it.

Just to be clear, I am NOT running the HMF or DJ Tune, I am running another tuner's custom/canned tune and the jury is still out on it.

DJ actually has a couple tunes that come with the PV3 for free and one of them is for the HMF Full system...
  • Honda Talon Stock exhaust Stock intake Altered fuel Altered timing Raised rev limit
  • Honda Talon HMF full exhaust Stock intake Altered fuel Altered timing Raised rev limit +300rpm
Honestly, I think the stock exhaust/intake and the first tune listed will be the most bang for the buck. It re-maps the stock setup and you get around 6 HP for the price of the tuner (<$75/HP) and a much more responsive motor. Any more gains get exponentially more expensive but the sound of the exhaust was well worth the cost to me so I don't regret getting it (although it was somewhat of a PITA to install, real tight fit where the mufflers are placed).

have you Tested the stock intake/ stock tune?

I’m looking for a review of that.
(Thinking to buy just the tuner from DJ)

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
@PaulF , I am running the same QS slip-on, and currently trying out the DJ HMF full-system tune. It smells SUPER rich to me. Just curious: Can you share some info on where you got your tune? Also, are you setup for AFR logging? Lastly, did you try the stock-exhaust tune from DJ w/ the QS? Curious if fueling is a little more in-line with the less-restrictive, but not wide-open QS can.

Thanks!
Check your PM

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!