P500 Product update COHV 3-2013 shock replacement

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replaced my aging 2005 Pathfinder with a new SR5 this spring. Its been great so far. In reality, the off-road I do with it is only fields, tractor paths, and seasonal roads. I did look at the new Tacoma w/cap, but stayed with the suv. It is a daily driver, and can handle towing any of our boats.
Nice!

Ive ordered mine and waited 4 months. After it arrived I replaced shocks to TRD , had natural 1" lift in the front with them and changed tires in one week, because one tire exploded on me on 600 mile trip. Went a bit bigger on tires. And added cfab sliders.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
The shocks arrived from Chris, yesterday. Even though it was a heavy package, it came in good condition from USPS. Chris did a good packing job. :)

I installed them this AM. Fairly easy, straight forward install. It took about 2 hours for all four, that was going slow and taking a few pictures. I probably spent 10-15 minutes looking for the 15mm box wrench for the front top tower. Finding a 17mm for the rears, went quick ;) Fronts get torqued to 32ftlbs, while rears are 47ftlbs.

It was raining here today, so only took a quick ride around with the fronts only. Subjectively, I'd say the ride was smoother, but it might be the placebo effect. :D The acid test will be with all four: "Will my wife notice a difference?".

Loss in clearance is close to what had been mention before of 1":

Front: 1 1/8"
Rear: 5/8"

Those measurements were stationary, no load.

While I didn't measure, the new rears seem to be slightly longer, since I had to pull down on the A-arm to get the shock bolt back in.

That is comparing the old with rear set to one click pre-load to with the new at the bottom of the pre-load.

I have some pics that will be posted later once my host is back online.

Last edited:
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
The shocks arrived from Chris, yesterday. Even though it was a heavy package, it came in good condition from USPS. Chris did a good packing job. :)

Half a roll of gorilla tape helped with that. I figured cardboard can only do so much !

Reactions: solrus
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Pics:

The replacements:

Rears, Front, original front

GEDC2001

Fronts compared:
GEDC2003

Front installed:
GEDC2004

Rears compared:
GEDC2006

Rear installed:
GEDC2007

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Acid Test:
We did our "normal" evening loop, and at about 3 miles in of 9 miles of dirt road, asked my wife if she noticed anything different. "Yea, why are you going slower than normal?". "I'm not. Doing our normal 30mph on dirt roads" :) The last 6 miles of the loop is going around the perimeter of hayfields, some trails, and hills. Speed is mostly around 8mph in 2nd gear. I'd say most of the "edginess" is gone. :)

PS: It was a 20 deer ride. :)

sfmccormick

sfmccormick

Mar 12, 2016
Western Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Acid Test:
We did our "normal" evening loop, and at about 3 miles in of 9 miles of dirt road, asked my wife if she noticed anything different. "Yea, why are you going slower than normal?". "I'm not. Doing our normal 30mph on dirt roads" :) The last 6 miles of the loop is going around the perimeter of hayfields, some trails, and hills. Speed is mostly around 8mph in 2nd gear. I'd say most of the "edginess" is gone. :)

PS: It was a 20 deer ride. :)

Could you tell if the improvement was on the front end, rear end or overall?

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Could you tell if the improvement was on the front end, rear end or overall?

I'd have to say overall. The day I changed the shocks it was raining, so I did not get to test the fronts only the way I would have liked.

PS: At least in this case, you can go test drive a 2017 P500 and see if you think it is worth paying the $ for. Hopefully, we will see some aftermarket bolt-on options soon.

PSS: If you have a leaking seal or broken spring, and just want your P500 working again, I listed my original shocks on the for sale board. http://hondasxs.com/threads/2014-p500-shocks-full-set-100-shipped-contus.7329/#post-102011

Last edited:
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Just received notification in the mail today (here in Western Canada), for the factory shock replacement to meet the above COHV code requirements. Anybody run their rig in to Honda for the shock swap and if you have what are the infield results. Ride height is supposed to change to 1.1" lower overall, but same at full load capacity. What about ride, better, worse? Not sure I'll bother to replace unless I can pick up and do myself....

Any suggestions?
Thanx
jrc
JCart, do you still have that recall notice? I never got any from Honda and I own a 2015 that I bought DEMO from Honda and still has the original Jumping Sticks in the front...

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
JCart, do you still have that recall notice? I never got any from Honda and I own a 2015 that I bought DEMO from Honda and still has the original Jumping Sticks in the front...
I had gotten a notice,but never produced it when i had the COHV shocks put on at the dealer. I just asked about it when i was at the dealer one day. They said " ok ....we'll order them in and we'll book an appointment when they come in". No paperwork was produced if thats what your concerned about?

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I had gotten a notice,but never produced it when i had the COHV shocks put on at the dealer. I just asked about it when i was at the dealer one day. They said " ok ....we'll order them in and we'll book an appointment when they come in". No paperwork was produced if thats what your concerned about?
Ok perfect. I'll see about getting them changed next time I'm at the dealer.

advertisement
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

I'm thinking I do, I just phoned the dealership and asked, they looked it up, ordered and booked an appointment. I think I just signed off the work was done once installed IIRC. They replaced all corners too not just the fronts.

j

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I'm thinking I do, I just phoned the dealership and asked, they looked it up, ordered and booked an appointment. I think I just signed off the work was done once installed IIRC. They replaced all corners too not just the fronts.

j
I'm good ! I scrolled through the thread and found that you already had posted it on your dropbox. Thanks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!