P500 Product update COHV 3-2013 shock replacement

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Just received notification in the mail today (here in Western Canada), for the factory shock replacement to meet the above COHV code requirements. Anybody run their rig in to Honda for the shock swap and if you have what are the infield results. Ride height is supposed to change to 1.1" lower overall, but same at full load capacity. What about ride, better, worse? Not sure I'll bother to replace unless I can pick up and do myself....

Any suggestions?
Thanx
jrc

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
There are a few pics in the wild on here of those replacement shocks and they appear to have 5 position spring adjustment collars where the originals do not. Might be worth looking into, the pics had the old vs. new SXS no pun intended.

Pics are here on post # 11 : Recall letter

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
There are a few pics in the wild on here of those replacement shocks and they appear to have 5 position spring adjustment collars where the originals do not. Might be worth looking into, the pics had the old vs. new SXS no pun intended.

Pics are here on post # 11 : Recall letter

Thanks JACKAL, hmm so put the new adjustable ones on with a spacer of say 3/4 or 1" and be same as current height only with adjustability on the front and rear? On the new ones the coils at the top end are pretty close, they don't look like they'd provide a lot of compression or am I missing something? Perhaps meaning a not too good for big bumps, but smoother ride on smaller bumps washboard?

jrc

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks JACKAL, hmm so put the new adjustable ones on with a spacer of say 3/4 or 1" and be same as current height only with adjustability on the front and rear? On the new ones the coils at the top end are pretty close, they don't look like they'd provide a lot of compression or am I missing something? Perhaps meaning a not too good for big bumps, but smoother ride on smaller bumps washboard?

jrc
I just don't know the answer to your questions, may ask the poster of the photo's in the other thread since he is using them. He should be able to give a much better insight.

Robe Peters

Robe Peters

Apr 18, 2015
Just received notification in the mail today (here in Western Canada), for the factory shock replacement to meet the above COHV code requirements. Anybody run their rig in to Honda for the shock swap and if you have what are the infield results. Ride height is supposed to change to 1.1" lower overall, but same at full load capacity. What about ride, better, worse? Not sure I'll bother to replace unless I can pick up and do myself....

Any suggestions?
Thanx
jrc
Got mine done took it out today, it is like a 100 times better vehicle with this shock update, I can't stress enough how this changed the bike and made it so much better, I was ready to burn it I was so bad riding and handling, now I am very surprised the change that happened!!

Reactions: SBuckJ
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Got mine done took it out today, it is like a 100 times better vehicle with this shock update, I can't stress enough how this changed the bike and made it so much better, I was ready to burn it I was so bad riding and handling, now I am very surprised the change that happened!!
Are you in Canada? Has anyone in the US got the replacements? I think it would be worth trying...

Chance135

Chance135

Jun 18, 2015
Southern Maine
I'd be interested too in hearing ride reports with the updated shocks as well as where people are ordering these shocks from. I'd sacrifice an inch of clearance to soften the ride a bit.

Robe Peters

Robe Peters

Apr 18, 2015
Are you in Canada? Has anyone in the US got the replacements? I think it would be worth trying...
Yes I'm in eastern Canada, and all I did was take my recall notice to my dealership. The discussion about losing an inch in ground clearance I did not notice. I believe it's a fix in order to hide the fact it was terrible with the stock shocks, and when I complained Honda said they were fine. I actually stopped using it last August when I found out there was a repair coming. In Hondas arrogance they still didn't admit there was a shock issue, just a safety issue

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Yes I'm in eastern Canada, and all I did was take my recall notice to my dealership. The discussion about losing an inch in ground clearance I did not notice. I believe it's a fix in order to hide the fact it was terrible with the stock shocks, and when I complained Honda said they were fine. I actually stopped using it last August when I found out there was a repair coming. In Hondas arrogance they still didn't admit there was a shock issue, just a safety issue

ok cool. i will try to contact honda next week and see what they say. they just sent a recall notice with a new sticker to us poor folks in the US?! wtf...

Chance135

Chance135

Jun 18, 2015
Southern Maine
Funny, I have owned my pioneer since last June and I have not recieved any letter about safety, shocks, or replacing the original sticker on the rollcage. Is this a Canada specific thing?

advertisement
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Sorted recall with local dealer and will have mine replaced on the 30th of April. Unfortunately I couldn't do it myself (as I want to try spacers), dealer said they had to do the install. Oh well, I'll ad them as soon as I get it home.

jrc

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm in OK and received the letter with new sticker on safety compliance, but I haven't received a recall letter for shocks. I'll be contacting Honda about this.

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
I'm in OK and received the letter with new sticker on safety compliance, but I haven't received a recall letter for shocks. I'll be contacting Honda about this.

Let us know what you find out, if its just a Canada thing or not.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

They will never admit any wrong doing
..........it's a safety thing...
ask um....haha

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Added the new factory warranty shock/springs.... Soon as I got if off the truck at home pulled them and put in 1" spacers and reinstalled. Gained back to nearly original height of 10.5" (or so) of clearance giving consideration for tire wear. I've only used it around the fishing camp getting ready for season, hauling large loads of wood with 4x8 by 2' sided trailer stack dry pine 36" high I'd guess. Man these little machines are bull dozers, skidding out larger logs, I'll have to shoot some video for you guys next time.... So much fun!

Hopefully the Mrs. and I'll be heading up to the lake tomorrow and go for an extended toot about on it and I'll know better how it rides. Seems a little stiff right now, not bad at all. what I may do is trim the spacer rings to 1/2" and try it. As I will still have effectively 1/2 of adjustment up. Shall keep you posted.

Dropbox - Lift 1.jpeg
Dropbox - Lift 2.jpeg

jrc

Reactions: ehart814
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Added the new factory warranty shock/springs.... Soon as I got if off the truck at home pulled them and put in 1" spacers and reinstalled. Gained back to nearly original height of 10.5" (or so) of clearance giving consideration for tire wear. I've only used it around the fishing camp getting ready for season, hauling large loads of wood with 4x8 by 2' sided trailer stack dry pine 36" high I'd guess. Man these little machines are bull dozers, skidding out larger logs, I'll have to shoot some video for you guys next time.... So much fun!

Hopefully the Mrs. and I'll be heading up to the lake tomorrow and go for an extended toot about on it and I'll know better how it rides. Seems a little stiff right now, not bad at all. what I may do is trim the spacer rings to 1/2" and try it. As I will still have effectively 1/2 of adjustment up. Shall keep you posted.

Dropbox - Lift 1.jpeg
Dropbox - Lift 2.jpeg

jrc
Very nice. You two enjoy your ride and I'll look forward to your report.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Let us know what you find out, if its just a Canada thing or not.
I'm still waiting a response from my dealer.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Odd that they would only be replaced in Canada and not in USA? Oh course our terrain IS rougher up here..... and I could see it if Donald J T had the wall up they'd be tough to toss over due to the height.... Still though... Mmmm.

j

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dealer said no, no recalls.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!