Recall letter

I

iam_canadian22

May 5, 2015
Anyone else get a recall letter concerning "standards", states that all 4 shocks would be replaced as a result and would lose an inch of ground clearance, dont know about you's but im not overly excited about making the p5 even lower lol

willeh_ca

willeh_ca

Aug 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone else get a recall letter concerning "standards", states that all 4 shocks would be replaced as a result and would lose an inch of ground clearance, dont know about you's but im not overly excited about making the p5 even lower lol

Yep just came in the mail today. Lowering it 1.1". Parts available spring of 2016.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I got the letter with the new sticker which seemed a little odd, so are they now gonna replace the shocks?

willeh_ca

willeh_ca

Aug 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 500
No sticker in our recall letter. North of the border we may be getting a different "fix". I'm unsure of exactly how I feel about it. Losing an inch of clearance can easily remedied with the 26" HTR's I'm planning on buying.....but that just gets me back to approximately where I started, no further ahead. Now if the new shocks soften the ride a little and maybe the front ones become adjustable I can get on board no problem.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yep just came in the mail today. Lowering it 1.1". Parts available spring of 2016.
The shocks are also available to US owners, in the letter it says if you are not satisfied with the sticker to see the dealer and an alternative fix is available ala the shocks. It slightly lowers the COG to comply with the standards. Going to a bigger tire defeats changing the shocks. FWIW.

15P5Mike

Jul 6, 2015
Got my letter today stating I can get new shocks that I want no part of, condiering Honda was last into the side by side market this is unacceptable. The 500 was worse than average clearance and now they want another inch well they can shove there shocks somewhere other than my bike. We should be compensated for them selling us a untested product and if the upgrade is done it's not as sold or advertised.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Got my letter today stating I can get new shocks that I want no part of, condiering Honda was last into the side by side market this is unacceptable. The 500 was worse than average clearance and now they want another inch well they can shove there shocks somewhere other than my bike. We should be compensated for them selling us a untested product and if the upgrade is done it's not as sold or advertised.
Based upon your statement on lack of gtound clearance I take it you have not owned a rzr800 50". I can tell you firsthand that 50" rzr had considerable less ground clearance than the p500. I had a 2" lift and 27 " tires, and dul rate springs on the rzr and it just equals the P500 with only 26" tires on it. The 50" rzr stock was a belly dragging rock magnet. So to say the ground clearance on the P500 is abysmal is a mischaracterization compared to the other 50" sxs.

Now i don't disagree with your dissatisfaction of the fix being offered but with the suspension geometry limitations of a 50" SXS they can only do so much.

Reactions: CptOvo

15P5Mike

Jul 6, 2015
New shocks have front and rear spring adjusters and don't seem to lower the rig any.

Reactions: Arizona
advertisement

15P5Mike

Jul 6, 2015
Here's some pics old to new. I haven't had it done to mine.

Image Image

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
15P5Mike - did you happen to get a set? If so did you measure the before and after? I would be interested in see what this ends up doing to the machine.
As for the RZRs - funny you mentioned it dragging its belly, when we had ours it started much higher than it ended up. It ended up drooping a good 1.5" over the year we had it - some serious sag if you ask me!

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
WOW - talk about ask and you shall receive - I didn't even have the message sent before you replied! LOL
Awesome - thanks for the photos!!!!

Reactions: 15P5Mike
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm no expert but it looks like you can adjust the preload up all the way and be at the same height you were before with the old shocks.

edit: but it also looks that may make for a stiffer ride
It's the same shocks that are on the rear.....

15P5Mike

Jul 6, 2015
Front is one pic and rear is the other, original rear had preload adjustment

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone running the new replacement shocks yet? To account for the 1.1" couldn't you just install a 3/4" to 1" spacer on the shock and that would effectively get to back to original stock, plus you'd have the adjustability. I'm interested to see if these ride smoother too.

jrc

Reactions: Montecresto
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Initially was gonna take a pass on the updates, but thinking about it when I look at the pix above appears the stock to new shocks are nearly same length unsprung (no weight on them). So when installed there is 1.1" of sag to account for meeting the voluntary regulation? If so I think I'm gonna order them and put on spacers, just to mess with ride quality and height. Who knows maybe an improved, certainly adjustable ride.

jrc

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I am tempted to see if I can get these springs. I think this new dual rate coil design might ride a little better, can anyone who has done this swap tell us the result?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!