Multi Another Polaris recall RZR 170 fires

H

HondaTech

Im just repeating what came out of this guys mouth. Said hes had several eat themselves for no reason. Cam lobe wipes and takes out the bottom end, which is what this one did. Every Polaris we've ever taken in has had the front end falling out or the afformentioned wire harness melting damage. Thats not counting the ones ive taken a look at for whatever eason that juat passed through. We dont even fix them anymore, they get loaded up and auctioned off. Id rather have a loud, kind of hot Honda then a fire waiting to happen. We sold a Mule to guy who had his brand new 900 Ranger burn to the ground while was checking fence. You can keep your fire pits and quiet cabs, i want something thatll get me from a to b whether im sweating or not i know it wont leave me with a burnt pile of scrap and a long walk back.

Reactions: Arizona
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
They keep an engine in stock that hasn't been put in any of their sxs or atvs in years? Bud compare apples to apples. 900 ranger, 570 ranger and 1000 ranger vs 700 pioneer and 1000 pioneer. I only have about 500 miles I think but I'm on stock wheel bearings. My sportsman 850 had 1500 miles and stock bearings. The 700 is very loud in cab compared to a 900 ranger. The 700 gets VERY hot in the cab. Just face it the only 2 players in this game are can am and polaris. Honda isn't a drop in the bucket compared to polaris. Can am is top dog but you pay for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I notice you're not mentioning the 500 in your comments? The most reliable sxs on the planet, that fact can't be argued.

L

liftedpsd2010

Dec 25, 2016
Lake Wales
I notice you're not mentioning the 500 in your comments? The most reliable sxs on the planet, that fact can't be argued.
Add the 500 to it too. Dont you see its the most reliable because seriously how do you break something with 20hp lol I don't even see why someone would get the 500 with the 700 can barely carry 2 people in sugar sand uphill as it is. I just want each and every one of you to search the polaris forums. Yalls sxs and atvs rarely come up unless someone asks about them. Like I said I haven't had any major issues and any sxs can burn in tall grass. If you think your Hondas are not able to burn then keep one running in tall dry grass for an extended period of time. I know for sure I don't hear any polaris guys bashing Hondas on any forums I frequent. I can't say the same for you guys. Just remember brand has its issues.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Add the 500 to it too. Dont you see its the most reliable because seriously how do you break something with 20hp lol I don't even see why someone would get the 500 with the 700 can barely carry 2 people in sugar sand uphill as it is. I just want each and every one of you to search the polaris forums. Yalls sxs and atvs rarely come up unless someone asks about them. Like I said I haven't had any major issues and any sxs can burn in tall grass. If you think your Hondas are not able to burn then keep one running in tall dry grass for an extended period of time. I know for sure I don't hear any polaris guys bashing Hondas on any forums I frequent. I can't say the same for you guys. Just remember brand has its issues.

I don't bash any machine, just praise the one I own. I owned a Polaris quad and it did me right for 10 yrs. That 20 hp has got me through some treacherous terrain and I'll climb sugar sand hills all day. Someone will probably be riding my 500 long after I'm dead. A VW doesn't have the HP of a Ferrari but will still get you there and back.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Add the 500 to it too. Dont you see its the most reliable because seriously how do you break something with 20hp lol I don't even see why someone would get the 500

There must be an awful lot of really dumb people then, because we've sold the $hit out of Pioneer 500's, and many to Polaris people I may add.
Not everybody cares about running 60-70 mph, or being able to light the tires up :rolleyes:.

Reactions: trigger and Arizona
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It is hard to break something when everything downstream is stronger than the engine. Something well engineered will be in balance. You don't put a big motor on a weak drivetrain and chassis and expect something not to grenade.
Especially when you add bigger meatier tires, and 1000lbs of beer and speakers.

The 500 is surprisingly capable, it's not the biggest baddest machine but it's a goat. People buy it for the same reason they buy a 570 Ranger. Don't have a need for 80+HP, the 500 is geared way better than the 700.

Sand is a different monster, NEED lots of power.

Every brand does have its issues, so far holding steady failure rate for 1000 clutches.

Any sxs can burn in tall grass but 10 pages of fire related recalls make Polaris' issues really really really low hanging fruit for an easy joke. All the other makes are all relatively issue free in comparison, but those fire recalls stand out significantly. Which is why you less regularly see any jabs about the others. Paint a big easy target, put flashing lights on it, and people are going to shoot at it.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Lol I can't help but laugh at you guys always posting polaris stuff. Why don't you guys head on over to the rzr forums or prc forum. Polaris so called fan boys don't talk about Hondas. All you guys do is bash polaris in every thread. When you sell 20 fold you're obviously going to have more issues. You guys need to figure out your clutch issues and quit worrying about polaris issues. I'll buy a honda when I can carry a spare 100 dollar clutch for it and change it in under 30 minutes. Now go ahead and make fun of our rubber bands. They hold up pretty damn good to well over 140hp and yalls clutches can't handle 72 hp with 26s lmfao

View attachment 50768
If you read a little more carefully you will see there are many complaints on things the members don't like abut their Hondas, we are not a selective bunch of members singling out one brand but if there is an issue it is pointed out. Also I don't care if it's cars, trucks motorcycles, SXS or what, men have and always will pick on the other side, it's just part of being a man. Heck by my standards you probably drink crappy beer.

Reactions: bobbyhill
L

liftedpsd2010

Dec 25, 2016
Lake Wales
It is hard to break something when everything downstream is stronger than the engine. Something well engineered will be in balance. You don't put a big motor on a weak drivetrain and chassis and expect something not to grenade.
Especially when you add bigger meatier tires, and 1000lbs of beer and speakers.

The 500 is surprisingly capable, it's not the biggest baddest machine but it's a goat. People buy it for the same reason they buy a 570 Ranger. Don't have a need for 80+HP, the 500 is geared way better than the 700.

Sand is a different monster, NEED lots of power.

Every brand does have its issues, so far holding steady failure rate for 1000 clutches.

Any sxs can burn in tall grass but 10 pages of fire related recalls make Polaris' issues really really really low hanging fruit for an easy joke. All the other makes are all relatively issue free in comparison, but those fire recalls stand out significantly. Which is why you less regularly see any jabs about the others. Paint a big easy target, put flashing lights on it, and people are going to shoot at it.
So if everything downstream of the motor is built so good why are clutches failing like there's no tomorrow? Lol what you are saying they aren't supposed to do honda is doing. A 1000 motor with a transmission that burns clutches stock. I never said you guys didn't say bad stuff about honda also but every post here has some type of polaris bashing. Like I said enjoy your Hondas but maybe fix your own issues before pointing fingers. There aren't polaris people on the polaris forum making jokes every time about the honda clutches and that is a BIG issue. I will say one more thing take a look at yalls lineup. The pioneer 1000 deluxe cost more than a rzr 1000 highlfiter lol. I can buy a ranger 1000 for 6k cheaper than a 1000 deluxe. The rubicon cost more than the rincon. I mean honda doesn't even offer eps with the rincon lol you can take my old 2006 honda rincon with the GPS and put it next to a 2018. Lmao the 2006 has more features than the 2018!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if everything downstream of the motor is built so good why are clutches failing like there's no tomorrow? Lol what you are saying they aren't supposed to do honda is doing. A 1000 motor with a transmission that burns clutches stock. I never said you guys didn't say bad stuff about honda also but every post here has some type of polaris bashing. Like I said enjoy your Hondas but maybe fix your own issues before pointing fingers. There aren't polaris people on the polaris forum making jokes every time about the honda clutches and that is a BIG issue. I will say one more thing take a look at yalls lineup. The pioneer 1000 deluxe cost more than a rzr 1000 highlfiter lol. I can buy a ranger 1000 for 6k cheaper than a 1000 deluxe. The rubicon cost more than the rincon. I mean honda doesn't even offer eps with the rincon lol you can take my old 2006 honda rincon with the GPS and put it next to a 2018. Lmao the 2006 has more features than the 2018!

1.You didn't read what I said very carefully did you?

2.You don't see Honda owners on Polaris forums.

3.Your math is way off.

23d886ac4320cfb6d14f3b6fd8a6a189
666fbaf308a725d14bad76d3fc66e441
C5b2057b92ada6169218728b637de15e

Might be able to buy a Ranger for that much less, but I paid $20k less for a Chevy than an equal Ford at the time, sticker was near as makes no difference the same. Looking back, I wish I'd spent $20k more for the Ford. Ford sells a truck every 30 secs at near full price. Chevy is discounting them $20k and still only sells one every 3mins. Economy wants the Ford people can afford the Chevy.

Polaris can deep discount the machines because they have high margins on low production cost. With high service rates and cost you can easily make it up on the back end and long term. Other than the clutch, which is a problem with hopefully a fix, what else do Hondas go to the shop for other than regular preventive maintenance? Not ball joints not suspension, not steering knuckles, not rear ends, not front diffs, not electrical fires, not melted plastics, not.....

Not against belts, I'd buy a Can-Am if the Honda was not a good fit for me. Defenders Bed and people capacity just isn't enough.

C4c97bc85520b14abfc5e74a2e645ee2
D45d93213d1037b6ee10b56f3621f28e
Rincon Doesn't have the DCT option yet. Not sure it will because it wouldn't be that far from a Pioneer 700 price wise with the same motor. Unless they add DCT to the 700, but with clutch issues on 1000 that doesn't seem like it'd be in the pipeline.

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
liftedpsd2010 When I posted my 'Polaris Recall' joke, I never intended to offend anyone, it just came to mind and I couldn't help posting it, felt fairly safe being on a Honda forum. We all love this sport, have different brands, we are all one. I'd stop & help you or any riders if they were broke down or stuck, and they would help me the same no matter what brand we own. I truly hope all riders, no matter what brand they own, have the most fun, enjoyable, trouble free experience possible. It seems my joke was in poor taste and offended you and possibly other Polaris owners, I apologize, and have deleted it. Peace, and may you have many happy trouble free miles & years on your machine...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So if everything downstream of the motor is built so good why are clutches failing like there's no tomorrow?

I think he was referring to the 500, everything downstream of the motor is bullet proof. It's definitely not the fastest, it's ugly as hell and too small for a lot of terrain. Still the best sxs, dollar for dollar, available. Wouldn't trade mine for the biggest baddest rzr out there. Just my opinion.

Reactions: joeymt33
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I think he was referring to the 500, everything downstream of the motor is bullet proof. It's definitely not the fastest, it's ugly as hell and too small for a lot of terrain. Still the best sxs, dollar for dollar, available. Wouldn't trade mine for the biggest baddest rzr out there. Just my opinion.

The Pioneer 500 may not be a beautiful, but it's not near as ugly as a Kubota :D

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol I can't help but laugh at you guys always posting polaris stuff. Why don't you guys head on over to the rzr forums or prc forum. Polaris so called fan boys don't talk about Hondas. All you guys do is bash polaris in every thread. When you sell 20 fold you're obviously going to have more issues. You guys need to figure out your clutch issues and quit worrying about polaris issues. I'll buy a honda when I can carry a spare 100 dollar clutch for it and change it in under 30 minutes. Now go ahead and make fun of our rubber bands. They hold up pretty damn good to well over 140hp and yalls clutches can't handle 72 hp with 26s lmfao

View attachment 50768
What bashing? Posting a recall list is pretty much fact not fiction. You may be laughing but I bet it's a worried laugh. Cause more than likely the model you own is on that list. More than once.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My reason for this original post was to communicate a safety recall for the kids razor in case anyone had one, or knew someone who had Polaris machine for their kids. I still own a 1996 and 1997 Polaris Atv's along with my hondas. Note I also posted a Honda Pioneer recall from the Link to the Consumer Product Safety site. Not bashing one or the other, just thought it was useful factual information from the news for fellow riders.

Reactions: lee and Arizona
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I admit I make fun of them (the multiple recalls don't help) but heck I make fun of alot of crap. Doesn't mean I'm bashing. When I'm in my Chevy I make fun of Fords. On my JD mower I make fun of Murray, I make fun of Quaker state motor oil (which is actually serious cause I'm old enough to remember scraping an inch of gunk out of the inside of a valvecover lol). I was also cracking jokes bout a month ago dragging a 2mo old 900 Ranger that couldn't handle a little water and small hill. I drug his butt over 2 miles up very rocky and steep incline. Got great video too if anyone's interested. The cameraman could hardly keep up with me. Y'all need to lighten up and stop being so sensitive. Ain't like we caused the recalls or anything.

Reactions: joeymt33 and lee
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
My reason for this original post was to communicate a safety recall for the kids razor in case anyone had one, or knew someone who had Polaris machine for their kids. I still own a 1996 and 1997 Polaris Atv's along with my hondas. Note I also posted a Honda Pioneer recall from the Link to the Consumer Product Safety site. Not bashing one or the other, just thought it was useful factual information from the news for fellow riders.
And Thank you for that @Mudder. Keeping riders safe and informed is very important.
I too saw the recall that morning but didn't post it because you already did.

So far we have listed almost every UTV recall since 2013 - Search Results for Query: recall | The Honda Side by Side Club!

Including ALL Honda Pioneer recalls:
P700 - RECALL - 2017 Pioneer 700's Due to Risk of Injury
P1000 - RECALL / STOP SALE: 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000, EPS, 1000-5, 1000-5 Deluxe Models
Honda Pioneer 700, 2014 Skid plate recall/update

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
liftedpsd2010 When I posted my 'Polaris Recall' joke, I never intended to offend anyone, it just came to mind and I couldn't help posting it, felt fairly safe being on a Honda forum. We all love this sport, have different brands, we are all one. I'd stop & help you or any riders if they were broke down or stuck, and they would help me the same no matter what brand we own. I truly hope all riders, no matter what brand they own, have the most fun, enjoyable, trouble free experience possible. It seems my joke was in poor taste and offended you and possibly other Polaris owners, I apologize, and have deleted it. Peace, and may you have many happy trouble free miles & years on your machine...
Don't worry about someone getting offended, have you noticed in the last few years there is a select group of people that get offended no matter what? I know a lot of people that always make jokes about my P5 but I am a big boy and go along with it, especially the day I towed a Polaris because the Drive belt broke. I did not say rubber band because I don't want to offend anyone.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't worry about someone getting offended, have you noticed in the last few years there is a select group of people that get offended not matter what? I know a lot of people that always make jokes abut my P5 but I am a big boy and go along with it, especially the day I towed a Polaris because the Drive belt broke. I did not say rubber band because I don't want to offend anyone.
Well said. FB, forums and other social media types are no place for super thin skin. Get over it and move on.

Reactions: ohanacreek
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just to put this out there. The manufacturer's (Polaris, Honda, Canam, ect...) don't decide when or what kind of recalls are issued. That is up to the government. The manufactures are required to report issues to the applicable organizations and they in turn determine the severity of the recall (silent, stop-sale, stop-ride, ect.)

I forsee large problems on the horizon for Polaris. I had a friend who worked at Polaris in the quality department, as soon as they left the company they began to be contacted by different lawyers trying to get them to testify that Polaris knew about issues/delayed fixes/ect... He is the one that informed me that recalls are not actually determined by them.

I also notice the fire issue with the P1K is brought up a fair amount. Keep in mind this recall pertains to 102 reports of cracked fuel tanks and 28 reported fires on 16,800 units. Thereby affecting ~0.8% of all units. Now sales figures are hard to find for the Pioneer 1000 but the door latch recall affected 3,100 units produced over 3 months. I would therefore expect about 1,000 sold per month or 12,000 per year. I would imagine we will quite a few more fires before the government steps in to force a recall.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!