P500 Product update COHV 3-2013 shock replacement

S

Sledge

ok all ...just got he new shocks installed, what a difference!! the fronts are now progressive double coil, and fully adjustable all the way around.
also to answer the previous post, yes the new 2016's in the showroom had the new shocks on. I'm in Western Canada so I can't speak of anything south of the boarder.:) I've uploaded pics of the fronts only but the rears are the same. top photo is the new one.View attachment 15786 View attachment 15788

My front shocks look like the second pic. As I said, my p5 is a 2016. So no new shocks for me.

I did buy it for $7638 otd, though, and happened to meet the owner of that Oklahoma dealership who also owns a dealership in Arkansas, as I was loading my machine. Nice guy.

I told him how pleased I was with the price, and he said that he, as a high-volume dealer, got a deal on some p5s, and so was able to sell them so low.

This thread causes me to wonder if Honda was dumping the pre-mod 2016s before putting the new shocks on all p5s.

If so, I'm still happy. My last SxS was a Mule 600, with 3.1" suspension travel, an anemic 400cc carbureted engine, drum brakes, no instrumentation beyond an overheated oil alarm, air-cooling, belt drive, no engine braking, etc.

For about the same money.

I understand why you go-fast guys want a better suspension, and I flat love Jak's GoPro videos, but that ain't me.

This careful old slowpoke is happy with what he's got. You wouldn't believe the places I got that Mule into, and out of.

And this machine is so much better, in every way.

Don't need new doors, new shocks, exhaust, windshield, roof, custom bumpers, seats, skids, and damn sure don't need or want plastic covers that make my headlights less effective and make my machine look like a venomous snake.

I do enjoy reading about all of it though, and I did need new tires, a rear basket, and a jack mount, though, and y'all led me to them. :)

Finally, I want to apologize to Joey. I just go sideways sometimes, brother. I blew that way out of proportion.

You and hondasxs were very kind.

Joe

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
this is y the p5 is such an amazing machine it can be something for everyone it will never win a top speed race but who cares it has alot.of pep low end torgue can fit anywhere and work longer then you can

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 16235

My front shocks look like the second pic. As I said, my p5 is a 2016. So no new shocks for me.

I did buy it for $7638 otd, though, and happened to meet the owner of that Oklahoma dealership who also owns a dealership in Arkansas, as I was loading my machine. Nice guy.

I told him how pleased I was with the price, and he said that he, as a high-volume dealer, got a deal on some p5s, and so was able to sell them so low.

This thread causes me to wonder if Honda was dumping the pre-mod 2016s before putting the new shocks on all p5s.

If so, I'm still happy. My last SxS was a Mule 600, with 3.1" suspension travel, an anemic 400cc carbureted engine, drum brakes, no instrumentation beyond an overheated oil alarm, air-cooling, belt drive, no engine braking, etc.

For about the same money.

I understand why you go-fast guys want a better suspension, and I flat love Jak's GoPro videos, but that ain't me.

This careful old slowpoke is happy with what he's got. You wouldn't believe the places I got that Mule into, and out of.

And this machine is so much better, in every way.

Don't need new doors, new shocks, exhaust, windshield, roof, custom bumpers, seats, skids, and damn sure don't need or want plastic covers that make my headlights less effective and make my machine look like a venomous snake.

I do enjoy reading about all of it though, and I did need new tires, a rear basket, and a jack mount, though, and y'all led me to them. :)

Finally, I want to apologize to Joey. I just go sideways sometimes, brother. I blew that way out of proportion.

You and hondasxs were very kind.

Joe
LOL...Hey hey!! :eek:

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Sledge if yours are the second image, thinking those are the 2015 version. As you look at them from bottom to top the spring wraps get closer together on the updates. The update version also are adjustable on the fronts.... Think you already knew that though. I looked the other day at local dealership but they didn't have any P500s in.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Weird that Canuck land would only be getting these AND you can't order them from Honda... I will say, after installing them with a 1" spacer they ride just pretty close to non adjustable one. Thinking I might reduce spacer to 1/2" and try again, just for fun.... Although with 110lb dog on dog deck (on the back), wifey and I it rides nice with the 1.0 spacers, certainly not worse then old shocks.

With the recently available Moose lift brackets and the new shocks I'm thinking that would be ideal, you'd get a stock height (or 1" higher), plus adjustability and nicer ride then v1 shocks. Would seem a least cost fix until (if ever), aftermarket makes shocks for P500s.

jrc

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Mine needed the speedo fixed under warranty. When booking appt. I asked about replacement shocks and they said "Shure,no problem we'll order them in". So guess they dont need to see any paperwork on the replacement.
The ride is Really improved,at least the short slower run i had. The shocks where on the second softest preload when they came back. How it does after its adjusted a bit and you hit bumps at speed is some of the question. I noticed the KYB stamped on the lower part of the shock

20160603 205308

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Good one Chris I didn't think to even look as I thought the update would be industry wide. Perhaps if guys in the USA are interested they could contact KYB direct?

j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Wanted to try a different spacer lift so reduced thickness of spacer from 1.0" to 1/2". I've so far ran a 1.0" on the lowest shock setting and it rides good perhaps a little stiff with just one person. So thinking reduce height by 1/2" which = +- 9.5" clearance (again lowest shock setting) and give it a whirl. Can always adjust up the stiffness/lift by 1/2" too and that will be same as 1.0 lift. I think it should ride much better (in the smaller bumps now), than original shock/springs, will let you know.

j

advertisement
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
All right, went for a spin on P5 yesterday for 90 Kms, that I've mostly ridden in the past (with the original stock shocks), read a good comparison. Smooth gravel roads, rough slow first gear, dry rocky terrain, steep hills cross ditches on roads and off camber trails. Dry arid desert to upland evergreen forests. Beauties ride just me, carbine lever gun, chainsaw, dry bag of light gear. Awesome afternoon of muckin about. Ride is very compliant, meaning not too harsh, noticably softer then original (stock) set up as well as with new (shock/springs) and 1" spacers. I think a reasonable ride for a factory shock/spring, (with 1/2" spacer) given what this rig is... A small wheeled utility dozer. I can see where aftermarket shock/springs if appropriately designed, tuneable would be a huge factor making it even better, for now I'm pleased with the changes. I may put back on the anti sway bar, just for fun. I didn't drive like a heathen, jumpin stuff or mashing suspension to point of bottoming out, just rather sensible. Area I was in wanted to limit Murphy and misadventure, as well as minimize terrain disturbance as this riding area is part of a large provincial park and wildlife management area, with dedicated roads/trails. Self preservation given bad access, no cell service (forgot the findmespot in the truck) and too far to crawl out was part of the rationale for sensibility in addition to above.
Next steps:
Install anti sway
Sort solution to minimize engine heat via seat belt buckle area.

j

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will anyone use adjustable 2017 model front shocks on their 2015-16 models??? Can we order them now?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Will anyone use adjustable 2017 model front shocks on their 2015-16 models??? Can we order them now?
I just went to rockymountainatv.com to check the prices. They don't have all of the 2017 models in their OEM parts section yet. I have been thinking about upgrading to the newer shocks since I heard they were changing them. Depending on the price, it's definitely something I'd like to do.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just front or rear too?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Just front or rear too?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I'd start with the front and see how it goes.

Kinda surprised they are that cheap. I'd bet money that the price will go up as people start ordering them as an upgrade... just like the pioneer 1000 led headlights did.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Found answer about shocks on recall letter, so they have changed front and rear, and it lowered clearance by 1". I think I will swap front too, and later rear and to compensate for 1 " will do frame mod and put 27" BH originals 12" wide all around and be happy finally :)

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd start with the front and see how it goes.

Kinda surprised they are that cheap. I'd bet money that the price will go up as people start ordering them as an upgrade... just like the pioneer 1000 led headlights did.

Ehart, do you think that you would lower your front by 1 " and have rear end up by 1 "? It should not change stability I hope?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ehart, do you think that you would lower your front by 1 " and have rear end up by 1 "? It should not change stability I hope?
Well, I could drop the preload some on the rear shocks to compensate for that.... Even without doing that, I don't think it would hurt stability to give it a little bit of rake by lowering the front. But, you never know.

advertisement