P500 Product update COHV 3-2013 shock replacement

MrP500

MrP500

Aug 13, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
Some comfort to the ride with better shocks is good to have for me. I drive with 6 psi and it helps. I don't consider driving it like sport buggy, but it rides harsh on rocky terrain.
I agree with Solrus, plus Honda themselves have installed the adjustable shocks on their latest version of the P5 which tells me they knew the old style was not sufficient. The P5 is not a high performance sport machine but as with most anything mechanical it can always be improved upon.

Reactions: JCart
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I had the replacement COHV shocks put on at the honda dealer in June. I've since put Walker Evans shocks on the front and Progressive shocks on the rear. There's no way i'm going back to the stock shocks and they are just sitting taking up room . Cant be more than couple hundred miles on them. Worth $40 US each? You pay actual shipping?
I'm in eastern Canada pm if interested
hope this doesnt break forum rules. Ill take down this posting if so.

these are SOLD !

Thanks

Last edited:
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any news on this @solrus ?..........have you received them yet ?

IN progress:

My Account
Order History
Number
Order Date
Status
SubTotal

10/06/2016
In Progress
$152.52

Reactions: Chooglin
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are these a direct fit to the p500 or is there modding involved ?

No modding and re-positioning and welding lower shock mount. Already done by two members in this thread. So we dont have to pioneer in real meaning of this word.

Looks like easy job to fit front shocks.

Reactions: Chooglin
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys, after talking to Chris, I'm set on doing front Walker shocks, just cancelled order from MRcycles.

Also got reply from Chris, but another guy, same name :) from Walker shocks company.

"We do not make them for the 500 sorry. We have no access or enough interest in them.

Thanks,

Christopher Avants

Walker Evans Enterprises

2304 Fleetwood Dr.

Riverside CA 92509

951.784.7223 Phone

951.788.1738 Fax

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Done, ordered front Rhino shocks from Walker Evans !!! :):):)

So my logic behind of this is:

If I want to upgrade your ride a bit , then I would just buy ONLY FRONT new OEM Honda shocks - 51400-HL5-C21, since rear already adjustable and might sit your P500 a bit taller at the rear , since new front ones drop a bit, from reading about new shocks

BUT, if you want BETTER ride and , I have two true "shock pioneers' now to attest then , you need to get aftermarket and do mods.

I thought and Chris agreed that most of the work and comfort of ride ~ 75% is done by front shocks since they tackle the obstacle . So I decided to install only front Walker Evans shocks for now, since the mod is very simple and could be done anywhere who can perform welding job with front lower shock mount.

And as HUCK mentioned, I would use his method of "uneven" tire pressure, rear lower , front higher.

I will still keep 6-8 PSI - front and drop rear from 6 to 4 psi if needed, but I think 6 PSI is good for me now. But lowering pressure might help to compesate rear OEM shocks to keep up with fron racing Walker Evans shocks.
But to me most of bouncing comes from the front, that should improve with racing shocks.

Don't know , will test ride and come up with optimal PSIs. May be later in the winter will install rear WE shocks.

To me if I had a choice to change P500 for 2018, three main things I would do standard/optional from the factory:
1. Power steering
2. Fox/WE etc shocks
3. Full cab

Last edited:
Reactions: ehart814 and JCart
advertisement
sfmccormick

sfmccormick

Mar 12, 2016
Western Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I have read through the posts regarding suspension change options on the 15-16 P500. Sounds like the easiest and cheapest option (under $200) is to replace only the front shocks with the adjustable fronts from the 17 model. Has anyone done this and if so, did it improve the ride? Did lowering front height change the way machine handles? Was clearance change noticeable on the trail?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did not but from the conversation with Canadian owners, I've understood that it helps but not dramatic improvement. I personally almost went with front shocks 2017 model replacement, and I know for sure it will not influence your stability and etc. It's like you have a truck (in my case T 4runner) that has one inch higher rear end. No issues there. On P500 u wont go to fast anyway.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a full set of Canadian take-offs coming. I will do the fronts first, but will only do some minor trail riding before changing out the rears, ie no extensive testing. I will provide before and after, front and back clearance.

PS: My 4runner is my full size sxs. :)

Reactions: Chooglin and solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a full set of Canadian take-offs coming. I will do the fronts first, but will only do some minor trail riding before changing out the rears, ie no extensive testing. I will provide before and after, front and back clearance.

PS: My 4runner is my full size sxs. :)

I love my T4runner, got it this year Trail edition with KDSS, was goint to buy Taco since all my friends make fun of me hauling elk in my CRV and not in the truck bed, but since I dont use truck bed most of the time, 4runner was obvious choice.

Reactions: FuzzyGrub
sfmccormick

sfmccormick

Mar 12, 2016
Western Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

Looking forward to your impressions.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I love my T4runner, got it this year Trail edition with KDSS, was goint to buy Taco since all my friends make fun of me hauling elk in my CRV and not in the truck bed, but since I dont use truck bed most of the time, 4runner was obvious choice.

I replaced my aging 2005 Pathfinder with a new SR5 this spring. Its been great so far. In reality, the off-road I do with it is only fields, tractor paths, and seasonal roads. I did look at the new Tacoma w/cap, but stayed with the suv. It is a daily driver, and can handle towing any of our boats.

Reactions: solrus
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Canadians with replacements or new 2017 owners, wondering what you have found for best preload settings? Our standard riding load is around 425lbs. I was thinking of starting with the lowest preload on front and one adjustment up for the rears. ie that is where my current rears are set. Thoughts?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Canadians with replacements or new 2017 owners, wondering what you have found for best preload settings? Our standard riding load is around 425lbs. I was thinking of starting with the lowest preload on front and one adjustment up for the rears. ie that is where my current rears are set. Thoughts?

I put in 1/2" spacers and left it at the lowest setting front and rear. Ride is a little stiffer than with no spacers, however better than old shock stock. I don't carry much weight and most times it's just me, chainsaw and gun(s) on it. I think on smaller bumps the ride is a little more compliant, also have removed my antisway bar as a lot of my riding is on old rough roads and trails.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Start will lowest on all 4 shocks, ride it and take jack and shock preload adjusting wrench with u.

On old shocks I use lowest setting on rears

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!