P500 Question about putting after market tires on stock rimes.

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I have been looking at tires and wondering if anyone has experience with putting Pit Bull Growlers on stock rims...I'm thinking either 25.5 x 8 x 12 front; 25.5 x 10 x 12 rear or 26.6 x 9 x 12 front; 26.5 x 11 x 12 rear.
I think either will fit but looking for confirmation before I order them, shipping to Alaska is ridicules.

Thanks for any help. I have always run mudlites on my wheelers but heard really good things about the Growlers for all purpose tires.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Haven't used pitt bull tires on my stock rims. The stock rims will run them fine tho. No need to worry about that.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Should not be a problem at all. I run Pitbulls on my Mule and love them!! They are a heavy tire but do a good job in most circumstances and really surprised me in the snow. I think the did better in the snow than the bighorns I have on my P500.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Pittbulls are nasty tires but also prob the heaviest atv tire out there so maybe bullet proof but maybe loss of low end i dont know but the p5 is made for low end so it might not effect it but on a small machine like ours there is a point it will cause major torque loss we just dont know where that point is yet lol

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Akfishbum
I went from 25-8-12 to a 28-9-12 in the front and 25-10-12 to a 28-11-12 rear on stock rims and it worked just fine. But I regret not having the same size tire in all 4 corners! Because of living here in Alaska with the shipping and I wish my spare tire would match all 4 tires but because it doesn't if there is a flat then I have to wait for shipping. And waiting means no riding that is bad for me!

Reactions: Geoff
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I agree with bobbyhill. I would have one size all around. That's the route I took on mine. I'm running 4 27"x11"x14" Ripsaws, and have no rubbing. Clearance is minimal, but there is some. Any bigger, and I would've had to do a frame mod. As long as you stay below the 26.6" size, I would go with the 11" wide tire. Most of the "hard core" riders on the island go with the widest front tires they can clear. The added floatation helps them in the snow. That's what they told me, anyway. Also, out here in the Aleutians, shipping is even worse than on the mainland. Order an extra 1-2 tires, so you won't have extended downtime if you have a "mishap". Whatever route you choose, enjoy. Modifying your rig to suit your needs is half of the fun of owning a P500. Ha! Also, I don't know who you're ordering through, but Rocky Mountain ATV had the best shipping rates to AK that I could find, even going air freight.

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the input, think I'll go with the 26.5 x 11 x 12 so I can stay with the factory rims. I do like the idea of going the same size all the way around so that the same spare will fit anywhere. I know all about shipping to the peninsula and the interior. I currently work out of Port Heiden and my brother in law owns an air tax service.

I'm currently researching getting the tires up here. I found a place in Anchorage that is an authorized Pit Bull dealer and he might be able to get them cheaper then ordering from the lower 48 but I'll keep looking. The dealer in Anchorage is Northern Diverse LLC I called them yesterday and they are currently looking into what the price will be.
I'll post pictures and updates once it's done.

Reactions: bobbyhill
B

BryanC

Jul 17, 2015
Have you checked out the Growler BG2.5? They are made in China and much cheaper. And come in whole sizes. I will be getting a P500 in a month & will get these. my 2 copper.

Reactions: bobbyhill
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @BryanC !!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!