P1000 Question do you have a winch with the honda bumper

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question for owners with the stock Honda front bumper and winch with the Honda or KFI winch mount.
1. How hard is it to reach the free spool knob on the end of the winch to place in or out of gear?
2. Can you see drum good enough to see how the rope is winding on the drum when winching?

Please be serious, I am very interested in your answers as on my old Big Red it was very hard to reach around and behind bumper to turn knob and see the rope. Thank You

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I hope to have details soon. Waiting my OEM bumper to arrive. Then install begins.

Even if you could access it, it would most likely be under mud because of its low location.

T

TimL

Nov 28, 2015
Question for owners with the stock Honda front bumper and winch with the Honda or KFI winch mount.
1. How hard is it to reach the free spool knob on the end of the winch to place in or out of gear?
2. Can you see drum good enough to see how the rope is winding on the drum when winching?

Please be serious, I am very interested in your answers as on my old Big Red it was very hard to reach around and behind bumper to turn knob and see the rope. Thank You
I installed the KFI plate and winch on the 1000-5 stock bumper. The free spool knob can be reached without difficulty but with the fairlead mounted it makes it difficult to see the wire/rope drum.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed the KFI plate and winch on the 1000-5 stock bumper. The free spool knob can be reached without difficulty but with the fairlead mounted it makes it difficult to see the wire/rope drum.

Thanks for the reply, that is the information I need.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
So ofrcboy - are you mounting there or do you have another option?

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So ofrcboy - are you mounting there or do you have another option?

I think I will be waiting for the EMP winch bumper. I have had two of these, they are well built and the winch is mounted on top in plain sight. I see a couple other vendors working on winch bumpers so that could be another option for me also. I have some time as I am waiting for my Phantom Camo 1000-5 but Dealer says every day we are 1 day closer. GRRRR!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I too mounted the winch with the KFI mount. The free spool dial is tougher to get to than my previous machines but it is also better protected. Now, this is my opinion as it sits in my garage. When I think about accessing it when stuck, it seems quite a bit more difficult because you can really only access the dial from one angle.

The spool is hard to see. This I do not like. I too will be going with an aftermarket winch bumper when they are available.

Reactions: ofrcboy
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The spool is hard to see. This I do not like. I too will be going with an aftermarket winch bumper when they are available.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your review.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
The spool is hard to see. This I do not like. I too will be going with an aftermarket winch bumper when they are available.

Thanks for your review.[/QUOTE]
No problem at all. Something to think about... I'm not sure how long it will be until someone makes a good bumper for the 1000. Strongmade said they are close and EMP said early 2016. If you plan on needing a winch soon, the install of the KFI mount takes very little time and is pretty cost friendly. It will hold you over until you can pick up a bumper if that is the route you will go. But make sure you don't shorten your winch wires or switch wires if you plan to make a change. I only say this as I have made that mistake.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for your review.
No problem at all. Something to think about... I'm not sure how long it will be until someone makes a good bumper for the 1000. Strongmade said they are close and EMP said early 2016. If you plan on needing a winch soon, the install of the KFI mount takes very little time and is pretty cost friendly. It will hold you over until you can pick up a bumper if that is the route you will go. But make sure you don't shorten your winch wires or switch wires if you plan to make a change. I only say this as I have made that mistake.[/QUOTE]

I am still waiting for my machine as of now so am hoping a bumper is available soon.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I got bumper & winch
No problem at all

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!