P500 Question for P5 Experts

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your goal was to build a P5 using 26" Bighorn 2.0s and you wanted the best compromise on overall width for tight trails and reduced tendency to tip on off cambers how would you accomplish it? Tire width, different offset rims, spacers, etc? 50" trails are not a problem anywhere around here as there are none with that restriction. So what is your ideal setup for tight trails? What overall width would you shoot for with the tires mentioned above? I have a P1K-5 for open trails. I' m considering the ideal woods machine. I have 2 suitable trailers to haul it in so it doesn't have to ride in my pickup.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If your goal was to build a P5 using 26" Bighorn 2.0s and you wanted the best compromise on overall width for tight trails and reduced tendency to tip on off cambers how would you accomplish it? Tire width, different offset rims, spacers, etc? 50" trails are not a problem anywhere around here as there are none with that restriction. So what is your ideal setup for tight trails? What overall width would you shoot for with the tires mentioned above? I have a P1K-5 for open trails. I' m considering the ideal woods machine. I have 2 suitable trailers to haul it in so it doesn't have to ride in my pickup.
I have the 26" 2.0's on mine. When I first put them on the machine was tippy. I put 1" spacers on and never worry about it now. I considered after market wheels but the P5 isn't a real flashy machine so I saved the money and stuck with stock wheels. I'm at 52 1/4" wide now. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Jbird
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Spacers help....
Big time
on tires if you go up
......go out
my Cero Maxxis
26" 9 / 12
BadAss

Reactions: HUCK and Jbird
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
A 1" spacer should do the job. I personally run stock width but 26's and have not flopped it on the side yet but have had it bicycle one time (briefly).
The problem with tight trail machines is they are inherently narrow and thus a bit less stable. Does teach you to pick every line very carefully!

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
I have 26" tusk trilobites( Same as big horn). 1.5" spacers and no sway bar. Works great. Only thing i may change is offset wheel instead of spacer. And will go 2" instead of 1.5

Reactions: Bennboyd
Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
I strongly suggest unhooking sway bar. Aside from better ride. It is less tippy. I realize they put this on for a reason. But it doesnt work. I feel much more stable now.

Sway bars are not designed for safety. But rather performance. They stop body roll in hard turns. But also cause machine to tip when off camber because the suspension cant move

Reactions: Rustell and iowaguy
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have the 26" 2.0's on mine. When I first put them on the machine was tippy. I put 1" spacers on and never worry about it now. I considered after market wheels but the P5 isn't a real flashy machine so I saved the money and stuck with stock wheels. I'm at 52 1/4" wide now. My 2 cents.

I have same. 26" BH 2.0 on stock rims and 1" spacers. Never going back to stock.

Reactions: trigger
J

JTW

Check out my thread on wheel/tire weight.. We're essentially asking the same thing. I've decided on a 26x9x12 with 5x2 offset on a 7" wide 12" tall aluminum wheel all the way around. I'll be running bighorn originals for the extra meat and longevity in the tire. With the 2.0's I would consider the 26x11x12's if stability is your main concern.

J

JTW

By the way.. I'm no expert.. Hell, I don't even have mine yet. But I've aggravated the s*** out of these guys and that's what I've come to decide.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The P5 is tippy, it just is. If you want to ride tight trails, that's what it's for. If you just like riding trails, going through the woods and enjoying the ride, then put some 26's on the stock wheels and go for it. Otherwise, get a 56" or 60" SxS. It just makes no sense taking a 50" machine and trying to turn it into a wide machine. In that case, you already have one, IMO.

Reactions: HUCK and JTW
advertisement
Skullmonkey

Skullmonkey

May 18, 2016
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I've got 2" spacers with 26" dirt tamer's. Still fits between the wheel well's in the bed of my truck an I have no trail restrictions. My sway bar is also unhooked. Feels way more safe now an I don't have to be real picky about how I approach the trail now.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've got 2" spacers with 26" dirt tamer's. Still fits between the wheel well's in the bed of my truck an I have no trail restrictions. My sway bar is also unhooked. Feels way more safe now an I don't have to be real picky about how I approach the trail now.
I'm surprised that it still fits between the wheel wells, but that's cool if it does!!!

Skullmonkey

Skullmonkey

May 18, 2016
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I did some measuring first but yeah it fits. The tires squeal as you pull up into the bed cause the rubber touches the metal lol

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
IMHO 26 is not big enough to utilize the capabilities of this machine. I would suggest 28" and skinny at a minimum.

I found some USA made 2" spacers and shopped for tall tires based on low weight. I ended up with the 30" tall Interco Interforce R1 in 8" wide. I put them on the cheapest 12" ITP steel wheels I could get.
I kinda used the old willys jeep as a model because those things pretty much drove across the planet with people shooting at it.

I tossed the sway bar. It is no more tippy now than stock and is 54" wide overall. I have never ran out of torque and people that say big tires steal power either have not done it or have purchased really wide tires that hold a ton of mud.

I feel that a buggy should at least be able to drive over a milk crate, I wish I could drive over a 5 gallon bucket but it is what it is.

Photo20May200920122006205120PM

IMG 2691

IMG 2526

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What is the truck skullmonkey?

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
3500 short bed dodge
1-ton (3500) Dodge trucks have a 38" wide frame, whereas all other trucks stick to a standard 34" width. This is to set the spring hangers out to the ends of the rear axle, to decrease axle "flex". That's why you have the clearance with spacers.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
1-ton (3500) Dodge trucks have a 38" wide frame, whereas all other trucks stick to a standard 34" width. This is to set the spring hangers out to the ends of the rear axle, to decrease axle "flex". That's why you have the clearance with spacers.
I'm not going to have that luxury with a Z 71.
The line x liner would tear up the sidewalls on the 2.0's.
I'll have to build something up between the wheel wells.

advertisement