Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm laying a 3/4" carbon steel plate. It was set about 3" above the operating floor. We left several 3" holes in the plate and poured Escoweld Epoxy grout into the holes.
Now I'm trying to weld disc's into the holes. The welds are cracking. I've tried everything I know.
Has anyone had this happen to them?
I think the epoxy is outgassing.

I've tried MIG, TIG and Stick

Reactions: BWAF
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
What welding process are you using. Are you pre-heating and/or post heating the area you're welding?

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
If your positive the plate is carbon and assuming your running 7018 or something comparable you shouldn't have a cracking issue. I would pm the plate to make sure it's not 5 chrome or something hardened. If it shows to be carbon you can take a needle gun and run it over the welds after you've ran a few inches. It will stress relieve it and keep it from cracking. Also 350 pre heat wouldn't hurt

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
The plate is supposed to be A36.
We have tried 7018, 8018, 1018, 1010, 309, 304, 316 and hastaloy.
75-25 Argon, 100% Argon, and helium.

I've noticed that the plate is almost cool enough to touch immediately after welding. It might be cooling to quick, but I don't know why it would.

The grout underneath can't take too much preheating. I did rosebud one area to preheat the weld still cracked before I could complete the weld.

I'll try the needle gun.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!