P500 Question on tops

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I am down to the last major upgrade. Question for anyone who has one. I am looking at the Honda Bimini Top for the 500. Not a fan of the way the hard top looks and I dont think the Moose top would work with the way I have my lights mounted.

Here is the question: Can I keep it on in the back of my truck while towing 70+ or will it tear?

What is another $85 at this point right? If it will work without having to take it off and on I will pull the trigger today.

V

Vintage47

Nov 14, 2016
Meridian Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
You may not like the looks but I swear by my hard top. It has held up to numerous trails with low overhanging brush and limbs that would have ripped a soft top to pieces. It also gives me a rock solid mount for overhead accessories and light bars. If you are in the desert or wide open dunes a Bimini may work well for you. But I will keep my hardtop.

Reactions: Duckiller
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
You may not like the looks but I swear by my hard top. It has held up to numerous trails with low overhanging brush and limbs that would have ripped a soft top to pieces. It also gives me a rock solid mount for overhead accessories and light bars. If you are in the desert or wide open dunes a Bimini may work well for you. But I will keep my hardtop.
I really just dont want to have to remount my lights or I would look at that more seriously.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have the Honda soft top. I have towed with it on a few times, and it hasn't failed yet. I'll be towing with it on this weekend. If I have any problems, I'll let you know.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda soft top. I have towed with it on a few times, and it hasn't failed yet. I'll be towing with it on this weekend. If I have any problems, I'll let you know.
I like the way they look better and I can buy almost 4 of them for the cost of the hard top. Good enough for me.

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I like the way they look better and I can buy almost 4 of them for the cost of the hard top. Good enough for me.

I like how they look too, and they don't add any height to the machine, which can be an issue for some.

Check out the tusk rear window. I have one, and it's very nice for $60. Great for keeping the dust down, and it works great with the Honda soft top.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I like how they look too, and they don't add any height to the machine, which can be an issue for some.

Check out the tusk rear window. I have one, and it's very nice for $60. Great for keeping the dust down, and it works great with the Honda soft top.
Not sure that would work for me because I have gun racks mounted to the rear supports. I like the idea though.

Racks

Reactions: ehart814
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Soft top is nice, where I ride was concerned about ripping it off in the brush and/or via hauling in back of truck. I went a little different route and made a hard top with clear Lexan. Using quality Nutcerts I bolted it to the ROPS and added a new cross bar at top rear of cab. Once that was done made a rear cab from 3mm thick UHMW and front window. So far pleased with results, I'm not with front windshield but I will be with Version 2. Lexan top adds significant strength to overall cab I'm thinking this stuff is strong like steel. Have pix in sig link.

j

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I put mine on and never have taken it off. I pulled it 7.5 hours to RRb last year and its didnt even get loose. And trust me I never drive the speed limit. Ive also tipped over the machine 3xs and nothing happened to it

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I put mine on and never have taken it off. I pulled it 7.5 hours to RRb last year and its didnt even get loose. And trust me I never drive the speed limit. Ive also tipped over the machine 3xs and nothing happened to it
And we have a winner. I am in. Worst case I mess up one, I can still buy another one and take better care of it next time.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!