Questionable Honda warranty repair

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am glad you got your machine back together. The transparency sucks about the warranty. I can say it is a two way street though. When you find a reputable dealer the warranty allows them to get away with a little more coverage if you find someone willing to work with you and not blame you the user for the damages. Just as an example I have heard of dealers who refuse warrant work on machines when a lift is added. I asked alot of questions during my search for machine. I had one Honda salesman tell me if I added any aftermarket performance part it voided my warranty. I had a different Honda salesman tell me they would review the parts I added and if they felt it caused the damage they would refuse the warranty work. Then I spoke and made my purchase from a powersports dealer and was basically told stick to these brand name parts for my add ons and they will take care of me. They told me they install aftermarket parts on new machines all the time and would make sure I am taken care of. They cautioned the only thing they can't cover under Honda warranty is the actual aftermarket part. I was like that sounds exactly how it should be. I also spoke to not just the salesman but the service tech and the parts employee. I feel I found a reputable dealer.

Reactions: Mudder and Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I am with you on all of this. I had to email Honda to get a copy of the warranty info. They sent me a pdf of it. My new 2020 500 is going on three weeks in the shop. I’m never buying a Honda again either. Not bc of the products but bc of the lack of customer service and transparency.
Unfortunately, Honda is not the Honda of years ago.

Reactions: Mudder
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I am glad you got your machine back together. The transparency sucks about the warranty. I can say it is a two way street though. When you find a reputable dealer the warranty allows them to get away with a little more coverage if you find someone willing to work with you and not blame you the user for the damages. Just as an example I have heard of dealers who refuse warrant work on machines when a lift is added. I asked alot of questions during my search for machine. I had one Honda salesman tell me if I added any aftermarket performance part it voided my warranty. I had a different Honda salesman tell me they would review the parts I added and if they felt it caused the damage they would refuse the warranty work. Then I spoke and made my purchase from a powersports dealer and was basically told stick to these brand name parts for my add ons and they will take care of me. They told me they install aftermarket parts on new machines all the time and would make sure I am taken care of. They cautioned the only thing they can't cover under Honda warranty is the actual aftermarket part. I was like that sounds exactly how it should be. I also spoke to not just the salesman but the service tech and the parts employee. I feel I found a reputable dealer.
Yeah, I would think only Honda approved accessories would be the way to go while still under warranty.

Honda doesn't like to warranty anything they feel is not their fault, I think that is understandable.

If you added an accessory that somehow caused damage, how would that be considered a manufacturing defect?

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I would think only Honda approved accessories would be the way to go while still under warranty.

Honda doesn't like to warranty anything they feel is not their fault, I think that is understandable.

If you added an accessory that somehow caused damage, how would that be considered a manufacturing defect?
My 2016 P500 has a six year warranty. It has 4,050 miles on it. Never has been back to the dealership!

Reactions: Jerryg
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

During searching for the purchase of the pioneer I made a small list I felt would compliment my machine. I wanted to do a small lift, arched control arms, and muffler. I was told by the first Honda dealer my warranty is voided if I add anything. I asked why and the response I was given was that it only covers a factory machine. The second dealer told me that the parts I chose voided the warranty because those things would cause frame and driveline stress that void the warranty. The third dealer told me use high lifter for the lift and arms, I could use whatever muffler I wanted as long as it was made for the pioneer. He said the high lifter stuff is designed to be used with factory stock equipment. They install high lifter exclusively for their units and even will sell new units pre installed with me. He cautioned not to use tuners because that would void motor and transmission coverage. He said I can use anything I want just keep in mind if it's something extreme is may void the warranty on the adjacent parts. For example portals on the machine may void ball joint and hub warranty coverage but he would still cover everything else. If I ever needed more information on what they can cover just call him. I was excited to hear some fair information and coverage.

Reactions: Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
During searching for the purchase of the pioneer I made a small list I felt would compliment my machine. I wanted to do a small lift, arched control arms, and muffler. I was told by the first Honda dealer my warranty is voided if I add anything. I asked why and the response I was given was that it only covers a factory machine. The second dealer told me that the parts I chose voided the warranty because those things would cause frame and driveline stress that void the warranty. The third dealer told me use high lifter for the lift and arms, I could use whatever muffler I wanted as long as it was made for the pioneer. He said the high lifter stuff is designed to be used with factory stock equipment. They install high lifter exclusively for their units and even will sell new units pre installed with me. He cautioned not to use tuners because that would void motor and transmission coverage. He said I can use anything I want just keep in mind if it's something extreme is may void the warranty on the adjacent parts. For example portals on the machine may void ball joint and hub warranty coverage but he would still cover everything else. If I ever needed more information on what they can cover just call him. I was excited to hear some fair information and coverage.
Yes, I wish I had a good dealer around here, you are lucky.

If that guy you are dealing with leaves, try to keep in touch with him.

Unless he is part owner, he may not stay there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!