P1000 Quick Intro and Purchasing 1000-5 LE

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Been lurking for a while and have read most of the posts on this forum. Seems like a great bunch of people and definitely picked up some very useful information!! Have had Hondas most of my life starting with the 200S and going up from there...this will be my first SXS. Not a fan of the CVT and to me seems to be old school snowmobile technology from the 70s. Plus, have driven and towed a few of my friends Polaris and AC in the past...nothing really impressed me.

Fast forward...went and test drove a 17 LE and what a nice machine. Trans was a little jerky, but that could have been me or just the newness of the machine. Do have a few questions and/or random thoughts for you all and hopefully can point me in the right direction.

First, there is a $600 difference between the 17 and 18. From what I have read on this sight, it might make sense to wait for the 18s??

Second, my type of riding is slow go. Out hunting , exploring the backwoods (logging trails), and maybe blowing down a snow covered road the few times it snows in AZ. Would have maybe 400 pounds of gear tops in the bed. Not out racing, mudding, etc.

Third, day one I will be looking into a set of 5, 28x10-14 tires and wheels. Anyone see any problems with the transmission in stepping up an inch is size? For those of you that have done it, any problems? Loss of performance?

Thanks in advance! Patiently looking forward for the 18s to arrive.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The transmission will definitely smooth out, especially after your initial service, mine was a night and day difference, now it's buttery smooth. You will have to put some miles on it to figure out how you like the shifting either manual, auto, sport.

I would get an 18 model they are come with the updates on them, I got an 18 model because it was cheaper in my area than other 17s and my dealer only had 18s left. Search the forum for OTD pricing so you know what kinda deals are out there.

I'm keeping my stock rims and tires until I wear out the tires so I can't tell you about going bigger, but I'm sure someone who has gone bigger will chime in.

Good luck and welcome to the forum from mid Missouri.

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been lurking for a while and have read most of the posts on this forum. Seems like a great bunch of people and definitely picked up some very useful information!! Have had Hondas most of my life starting with the 200S and going up from there...this will be my first SXS. Not a fan of the CVT and to me seems to be old school snowmobile technology from the 70s. Plus, have driven and towed a few of my friends Polaris and AC in the past...nothing really impressed me.

Fast forward...went and test drove a 17 LE and what a nice machine. Trans was a little jerky, but that could have been me or just the newness of the machine. Do have a few questions and/or random thoughts for you all and hopefully can point me in the right direction.

First, there is a $600 difference between the 17 and 18. From what I have read on this sight, it might make sense to wait for the 18s??

Second, my type of riding is slow go. Out hunting , exploring the backwoods (logging trails), and maybe blowing down a snow covered road the few times it snows in AZ. Would have maybe 400 pounds of gear tops in the bed. Not out racing, mudding, etc.

Third, day one I will be looking into a set of 5, 28x10-14 tires and wheels. Anyone see any problems with the transmission in stepping up an inch is size? For those of you that have done it, any problems? Loss of performance?

Thanks in advance! Patiently looking forward for the 18s to arrive.
Wait for the 18, and unless your getting squared off lugs in a mud tire, stock suspension is fine with 28s. The bighorns run less than true to size

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wait for the 18, and unless your getting squared off lugs in a mud tire, stock suspension is fine with 28s. The bighorns run less than true to size
Went with the 30's after I saw the Honda dealer equipping some modified new rigs sitting on the show room floor with 30's

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Went with the 30's after I saw the Honda dealer equipping some modified new rigs sitting on the show room floor with 30's

Why am I hesitating on increasing the tire circumference? The machine is designed and geared towards the stock size. learn me.

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why am I hesitating on increasing the tire circumference? The machine is designed and geared towards the stock size. learn me.
28 not gonna effect enough to notice, better tire will out perform. If it's trail riding the bighorns are not bad but they are only 4 ply in the 27 I think other sizes are 6ply. They are really soft and grip better than I thought they would, but don't offer much sidewall protection

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't know much, other than I said before. Just figured if the dealers are selling them with 30's, they must not be worried about warranty coming back on them. The 30's ride a lot better. The LE's come with Fox shocks, right? That's good! My 16 Deluxe came with really crap for shocks. They don't get to go riding anymore. Does the LE come with a decent skid plate, if not get a good one. What kind of riding you do?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
28 not gonna effect enough to notice, better tire will out perform. If it's trail riding the bighorns are not bad but they are only 4 ply in the 27 I think other sizes are 6ply. They are really soft and grip better than I thought they would, but don't offer much sidewall protection
Yep, busted two fronts running 15 PSI. I never busted a rear or had a flat on the rear. I thought about running same tire on front as back, but would have to buy rims, so I bought 4 rims and tires, 8 ply's. Tires are 14 x 10 x 30

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yep, busted two fronts running 15 PSI. I never busted a rear or had a flat on the rear. I thought about running same tire on front as back, but would have to buy rims, so I bought 4 rims and tires, 8 ply's. Tires are 14 x 10 x 30

You have a picture of your tire and wheel set up? Will be doing the 8 ply for sure. Not looking for a crazy mud tire. Was looking at the M1 Evil or Maxxis creepy crawler type tire.

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
J

JTW

Mine is a 16.. but basically built like an LE is now.. fox shocks, bumper, storage, aftermarket skids etc.. Minus the i4wd that is. I’m also running stock deluxe wheels with a HL bracket lift and 28” terrabites. I like it. No performance issues just a matter of breaking it in and dialing your shocks in.

ED0012BB 8ED9 410D 8CFF FF3D7CF2767C

Last edited by a moderator:
NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
JTW, thanks...that looks great! The 28” fill the wheel wells nicely. So you are running a 28x10 on the factory wheels? That will be a good option to save a few $$$ from the get go. How tall is the HL bracket lift?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have a picture of your tire and wheel set up? Will be doing the 8 ply for sure. Not looking for a crazy mud tire. Was looking at the M1 Evil or Maxxis creepy crawler type tire.
Look on @Tigermark build thread - he has the m1 evil tires on both of his in 28’s

Also there is a thread in P1000 - Wheel/Tire pics!

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

JTW, thanks...that looks great! The 28” fill the wheel wells nicely. So you are running a 28x10 on the factory wheels? That will be a good option to save a few $$$ from the get go. How tall is the HL bracket lift?
Yes.. stock deluxe wheels. HL is 2.5 inches. Ideally aftermarket wheels on all 4 corners so you can run same size spare and also rotate tires. But you can certainly get by with the stockers. You’ll find that the LE doesn’t have a full skid plate so you may choose to add to it. Honestly, make sure you want the I4wd system first and foremost and then work from there. As for late 17 vs 18... just shop around a bit, I would go with what I found the best deal on.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and sharp
Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I got my 17 right before Christmas. What has changed on the 18s. I seem to remember something about a clutch update, heat issue, and water getting in the intake. I know the intake was fixed but not sure about other items yet.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I got my 17 right before Christmas. What has changed on the 18s. I seem to remember something about a clutch update, heat issue, and water getting in the intake. I know the intake was fixed but not sure about other items yet.

All the available updates for 16-17 models come already factory installed on 18 models.

Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And late 17’s.. no?
I briefly asked my dealer and he believed they had...but he also looked at me funny when I asked about the intake... kinda like so you want to load this thing up I got some old Chinese food to eat in the office. Lol.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine is a 16.. but basically built like an LE is now.. fox shocks, bumper, storage, aftermarket skids etc.. Minus the i4wd that is. I’m also running stock deluxe wheels with a HL bracket lift and 28” terrabites. I like it. No performance issues just a matter of breaking it in and dialing your shocks in.

View attachment 61548
Dang, midget lovers
My e mail doesn't work on my phone yet. I went with the EVO Black Water's pretty aggressive tread, some people here don't care for them. We'll see???

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for all the replies! Made a ton of notes and researching out tires now.

A few of you have the 18's already....what did you pay? Was quoted just under $21k out the door, street legal.

Finally, is it worth getting the extended warranty? I don't beat up my stuff and meticulous on maintenance

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!