P500 Radiator Shield ?

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I got a few small dents in radiator and was wanting to protect it better. You think this would work. Or does it need more holes to let more air through. I figured it’d get a lot of air from the top above this.

230A413D 04D8 40CA 975E 6D744663E906 9EB199A1 9359 4D88 8322 987E5EB2F8A0

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a few small dents in radiator and was wanting to protect it better. You think this would work. Or does it need more holes to let more air through. I figured it’d get a lot of air from the top above this.

View attachment 226347 View attachment 226348
Personally I wouldn't block that much air flow. If you did a mesh screen or something I think you'd accomplish the same thing and not be compromising your air flow so long as you make sure it stays mud/debris free.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I drilled out some more. You think still too restrictive

View attachment 226349
I've had mine get to 4 bars with just a coating of dirty creek water on the rad fins nothing that actually "packed" the radiator fins closed but was visibly not bright silver anymore. I carry and use a "weed sprayer" to clean it out trail side now. On particularly muddy days I pull the plastic deflector shield (leaving me exposed to more rad damage) in favor of it being easier to spray clean.

That said...I wouldn't block it at all, but if you are going to do something...I'd suggest you make it minimal and do some local testing before taking it out and ruining a weekend with the change.

F

Fender

Aug 26, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You may want to try finding a pre screen for you’re machine like some acreage tractors have. It’s literally thin metal screen you could possibly ties in front of rad. This should help with some debris but still allow sufficient air flow. Of course, it’s another thing to keep clean, but may be a better option than a full on chunk of metal which will retain more heat add possibly create a different problem. Just my opinion from experience with tractor.

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks. It already has a small dent and I figured might try to protect it a little better. Emp sells one. It’s over $100. Might just try to find some screen wire and zip tie it to back of plastic guard

Reactions: Mudder
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I moved my radiator up higher under the hood. When you take the hood off there is a crossbar that goes left to right under the hood. It is about 6 to 8 inches back and about 6 inches up. It was simple to do with just a few things from the plumbing section at Lowes. I posted it on here a few years ago but I dont know how to do the link sharing computer stuff. If you search it you might find it or something someone else did. When I moved it up I left the shrouds off to make it easier to clean. Worked out good and never got any bent fins or anything in the new location. Good luck to you!

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks a lot. That sounds like a good ideal. I’ll search it up.

Reactions: Mudder
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Small hole expanded metal is what I have had on my P500 for at least two years. No airflow problems and I have plastic screen behind that to catch the grass seeds etc..

Reactions: Mudder and Wallace
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Try it, glad Honda provided a temp sensor in the display to monitor it. Might want to make is easy to remove for periodic wash out of radiator mud. Do you have an aftermarket bumper? This gave me a winch mount and excellent front end protection.

CFDA5891 E2C1 45F5 9D73 2E33711507CE

Reactions: Mudwing
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Used expanded aluminum screen zip tied to lower rad grill. Need to install more in upper section such that it overlaps the bottom piece. Dry grass seed gets winnowed through upper stock grill and falls behind lower pair. It’s only dry grass seed so no big deal just a hassle to get it out and don’t need it sprouting there.
Cheers,
j

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks for the photos and ideas. I drilled several more holes in it. Rode for several hours yesterday and it never got above 2 bars. Put things could get trapped since I put it behind the factory grill.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
The $100 screen is a little overpriced. I have one though because I've screened all my radiators for extra brush protection.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!