Talon Radio/Com and switches

Jastoner

Jastoner

Jul 4, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Installed a Rugged radio and Com. system. Also installed four switches in the lower box area.

20191015 101310

Jastoner

Jastoner

Jul 4, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I agree I was totally confused between UHF and VHF. One article would say one thing another article would say another. Really just comes down to opinions. Most race teams are using VHF from what I found. My friends out here already have VHF so it just made sense. We have a lot of forests up in mid Arizona. I have not had any problems with the VHF as well as the Canyons that we travel. Good luck on your decision.

Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Installed a Rugged radio and Com. system. Also installed four switches in the lower box area.

View attachment 161303
Can I ask a newbie question? I have the rugged ridge mount for my ham radio. Same size radio. How do I get the back two screws, one on each side of the bracket screwed into the radio after it is inserted in the dash? I have no instructions with the bracket so I'm looking for anyone who has actually installed this bracket in the dash.

Jastoner

Jastoner

Jul 4, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can I ask a newbie question? I have the rugged ridge mount for my ham radio. Same size radio. How do I get the back two screws, one on each side of the bracket screwed into the radio after it is inserted in the dash? I have no instructions with the bracket so I'm looking for anyone who has actually installed this bracket in the dash.
Great question!!
You are correct there are no instructions. Very disappointing when I received my dash face plate as well. I found that you have to install the radio to the dash face plate first. You will find very quickly that the radio will not fit inside the box unless you cut the box out. I made a special bracket that attached from the rear accessing from the hood. I also made some custom splash guards to help shield the radio set from the elements.
Hope this helps.

Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the tips. I was afraid I was missingg something that might be simpler. I just need to move ahead .

Jastoner

Jastoner

Jul 4, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
You're welcome! Will be awesome once you have it installed. Enjoy. Post a picture when done.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
VHF and uhf are both line of sight frequencies .. GMRS and FRS both operate in the UHF area of frequencies so they are more popular. Also requirements for uhf antenna are shorter so less likely to get knocked off / bent in tighter wood trails

Reactions: nbomar
A

Art248

Nov 10, 2019
san diego, ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Where did you get the four switches for the lower box area? I'm debating if I should put the radio/com in the dash or have it mounted at roof level.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Where did you get the four switches for the lower box area? I'm debating if I should put the radio/com in the dash or have it mounted at roof level.
There are a lot of wires going to the radio and intercom. I would not want that hanging from the roof. Radio only would be manageable, but the intercom adds four more lines. BUT a roof mount would keep it farther away from the ECU and other crap in the dash that is causing me some issues right now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!