BOX1

P500 Ramp Length/Ramps - P500 in Truck Bed

C

cisco1

Jul 13, 2016
ILL.
I use a short tri-food set of ramps to load my 500 in my 8 ' pick-up.
A few pointers.
* make sure you can dog the ramps off to your bumper.
* load and unload with P'up facing downhill and.
* Check your tailgate cables , they rust under the rubber sheath and you cannot see the rust.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
8 foot ramps made myself out of a 2x8 and.some aluminum bracing I also put a few cross bars on them and they rest in the stake bed pockets. For me the 2001 gmc tailgate is a bit weak and starting to crown form all the atvs and firewood over the years. Now with the p520 it will be in the bed of the truck and I will be towing a 16 full size enclosed with bikes. Bummer that it is to long to shut the tail gate. I think if the front bumper was off the tailgate would shut.my Truck is a long bed and has air bags. Last years October trip I had 4 quads in the trailer and a 350x,lt80, popane,gas and a 55 gallon drum of water in the truck totaling 15,900 lbs truck did perfectView attachment 255268View attachment 255270View attachment 255269View attachment 255269

View attachment 255267
Buy some DG tailgate supports. I got the 3 length set. You could use the long for flat loading, and the mid length for an angled tailgate for transport. Don’t depend on cables.

36A09444 5222 437B 97CB 5401CC9CEF92

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If you can back your truck up to a hill or small retaining wall to cut down the angle, that may make it a bit less scary.

N

Ncflemm

Jan 10, 2022
Sunset Hills
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 500

3. 520
When hauling my bumper pull camper, I plan to bring the P500 with me in the truck bed.

What ramps do you use? How long of ramps would you recommend?

I am planning on the ramps below as the weight rating is more than enough and they are longer than the standard 6 foot ramps (which I have for my atv but are too short, imo). Is 8' sufficient, or should I consider the 9' or 10'? I worry going too long lowers the weight rating.

Please note, I am a chicken when it comes to this crap - worst fear is putting the 500 into the cab or sliding off the ramps...

For those who will ask or be concerned:
Yes, the 500 will be strapped down tight. The camper is pretty small, only 7000 GVWR at 538 hitch weight and the truck is a GMC Sierra 2500HD duramax. I am also using a WDH. Truck doesn't even know the camper is there. The truck is a standard bed, so I'll have to haul with the tailgate down. Planning on upgrading the shank on the WDH to an 18" shank and getting DG Manufacturing tailgate supports.
View attachment 255182

View attachment 255183
I have the 10' Folding Arched HD Titan ramps.
Specifically these ones....
...I've used them to put my P500 in the bed of my '96 F350 a few times now. I'd definitely buy them again.

Hello all! This forum has been so helpful. I’m picking up my new 520 this week 👍🏻. I purchased the 10ft Titan ramps (at $700 😬)…I also picked up a set of DG tailgate supports that are supposedly specific to my 2016 Ford F-250 Supercab with a (6.5ft) bed. They seem to be quite “loose” without a load. Once I throw the 520 on the truck will that change? I also plan on using them during transport…does anyone have a suggestion as far as securing the supports into place goes?

A couple more questions! Thanks again in advance for your feedback guys! You’re all awesome.

Suggestions for the best ratchet straps for securing the machine once on the truck?

As stated earlier, I have a 6.5ft bed. If I cut a 4”x4” piece of lumber to place at the front of the bed, will this prevent the factory brush guard from smashing into the bed/rear window.

The dealership is installing an OEM factory Honda windshield (sku # 08R74-HL5-A01). Supposedly it’s a “tip-out” windshield…I haven’t been able to find any examples of it in action online? Went with the hardcoat vs. the optical option. Are they solid or trash? What’s the best way to clean them without scratching them? When I’m transport, is there a solution for protecting the windshield from rock chips, insects etc.?

I also purchased a cover for the machine (sku # 0SP35-HL5-A00). Looks like it’s specific to the 500…will it fit the 520 w/ the addition of the bed?

Last question…I promise! I need a home for the machine once I get back. I don’t have a garage or carport…looking at a pop-up shed from harbor freight…will the machine fit? It’s fully equipped with roof, light bar, side mirrors etc. Harbor Freight 10’x10’ “CoverPro” Portable Shed. Again, will it work?

Thanks again. Y’all are the best.

- Nick

B

Benny8838

Dec 19, 2021
Mexico mo
Ownership

1. 520
I added a 2x4 with carpet at rhe front of my bed next to the cab it has 2x2 legs in the snake pockets it's fairly solid and keeps the utv off the back glass. I switched to 54x84 inch ramps from Northern Tool. I added chains instead of the staps. I attach the chains with the ramps up on the tailgate about 1 inch and once I have the chains hooked I pull the ramps the inch so they drop down tight with little to no movement. The ramps are rated at 1500# I just drive slow up and down.

Screenshot 20220224 113140 Chrome

Reactions: Ncflemm
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Hello all! This forum has been so helpful. I’m picking up my new 520 this week 👍🏻. I purchased the 10ft Titan ramps (at $700 😬)…I also picked up a set of DG tailgate supports that are supposedly specific to my 2016 Ford F-250 Supercab with a (6.5ft) bed. They seem to be quite “loose” without a load. Once I throw the 520 on the truck will that change? I also plan on using them during transport…does anyone have a suggestion as far as securing the supports into place goes?

A couple more questions! Thanks again in advance for your feedback guys! You’re all awesome.

Suggestions for the best ratchet straps for securing the machine once on the truck?

As stated earlier, I have a 6.5ft bed. If I cut a 4”x4” piece of lumber to place at the front of the bed, will this prevent the factory brush guard from smashing into the bed/rear window.

The dealership is installing an OEM factory Honda windshield (sku # 08R74-HL5-A01). Supposedly it’s a “tip-out” windshield…I haven’t been able to find any examples of it in action online? Went with the hardcoat vs. the optical option. Are they solid or trash? What’s the best way to clean them without scratching them? When I’m transport, is there a solution for protecting the windshield from rock chips, insects etc.?

I also purchased a cover for the machine (sku # 0SP35-HL5-A00). Looks like it’s specific to the 500…will it fit the 520 w/ the addition of the bed?

Last question…I promise! I need a home for the machine once I get back. I don’t have a garage or carport…looking at a pop-up shed from harbor freight…will the machine fit? It’s fully equipped with roof, light bar, side mirrors etc. Harbor Freight 10’x10’ “CoverPro” Portable Shed. Again, will it work?

- Nick
Reguarding your question abou the Honda P500 storage cover, they have two versions. One is the basic cover for one with out any accessories and the other is the "Full storage cover" that accomodates the honda roof and a few other things. When I bought my 2016 P500, I bought the basic cover. I did not realize what a tight fit it was going to be. Had I bought the Honda roof (instead of the EMP roof) it would not have fit. I added a basket to the rear rack, and it was difficult to get it to stretch over that. Apparently the covers are very vehicle and accessory specific and unless the Honda dealer tells you the P500 full storage cover will fit the P520 bed, you may have a problem.

Last edited:
G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520

- Nick
Like you intend, I haul my 520 in pickup bed (Tundra). Understand you already got ramps but, fwiw, last fall when I got the 520 I updated to a Boski 90" tri-fold arched ramp. It's rated 1,300 lbs, slides under 520 for storage, and cost about $350 (incl shipping). Also updated to Rhino USA Ratchet Straps Tie Down Kit, plenty strong, quick, and easy.

Enjoy the 520. Had mine since October and couldn't be more pleased ... except $450 cost for first service!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like you intend, I haul my 520 in pickup bed (Tundra). Understand you already got ramps but, fwiw, last fall when I got the 520 I updated to a Boski 90" tri-fold arched ramp. It's rated 1,300 lbs, slides under 520 for storage, and cost about $350 (incl shipping). Also updated to Rhino USA Ratchet Straps Tie Down Kit, plenty strong, quick, and easy.

Enjoy the 520. Had mine since October and couldn't be more pleased ... except $450 cost for first service!
If it matters to you please know that Rhino USA does not make a lot of their products in the USA. Feel free to verify that on your own. I have bought and used some of their recovery gear and it works but it is not actually USA made even though their marketing tries to make you believe it is.

N

Ncflemm

Jan 10, 2022
Sunset Hills
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 500

3. 520

$450? What service had to be done?

Reactions: Smitty335
N

Ncflemm

Jan 10, 2022
Sunset Hills
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 500

3. 520
Buy some DG tailgate supports. I got the 3 length set. You could use the long for flat loading, and the mid length for an angled tailgate for transport. Don’t depend on cables.

View attachment 256495

I bought a set for my 2016 F-250…supposedly they are vehicle specific…mine are loose after installed with no load in the bed. Will this change after I load the P520? Also, I intend to transport with them too. Is there any solution (large washer/clamp etc.) for securing them into place? Thanks in advance!

- Nick

G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
$450? What service had to be done?
Yeah, my reaction was more like $450!!! To their credit, the dealer's service department informed me of it when we were completing the paperwork at purchase last October, so I knew it was coming. The service was the "initial maintenance" as prescribed in the owner's manual and required for warranty. List of work is pretty lengthy - I just had it done last week. The owner's manual describes it this way (page 101), "All scheduled maintenance, including the 100-mile (150 km) or 20 hours or 1-month initial maintenance, is considered a normal owner operating cost and will be charged for by your dealer."

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I bought a set for my 2016 F-250…supposedly they are vehicle specific…mine are loose after installed with no load in the bed. Will this change after I load the P520? Also, I intend to transport with them too. Is there any solution (large washer/clamp etc.) for securing them into place? Thanks in advance!

- Nick
I suggest a call to DG, my first set shipped was for the wrong brand vehicle and they resent the proper ones promptly. Hope this helps.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!