Talon Range per Tank of Fuel

Fusefinder

Fusefinder

Aug 9, 2019
Germantown Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
Planning my first long weekend of riding with the Talon X. What is the range everyone is getting on a tank of fuel? I will be low speed >25 mph trail riding.
Thanks!

Reactions: TimG
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I get 20 or more mpg 95% of the time regardless of speed or terrain or 1 or 2 people . Last ride with just me was 96.5 miles , started full , took 4.6 gallons to fill it .

HVYMTL

HVYMTL

Sep 17, 2019
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Well that's great to hear.. I've had mine for about two weeks and I've only had it out once.. I rode about twenty miles and the gas gauge was still on full when we got back to the truck. I thought there was something wrong with it.. lol

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Searching this forum you will find one area of concern that will have a big effect on your fuel mileage, is the air intake location.
If you ride in a dusty environment like myself, your filter will become over whelmed very quickly, causing the fuel mileage to drop fast.

My first fill up i got 19 mpg, then I dropped to 16 to 17 mpg and then down to 14.5 mpg due to the filter being plugged with dust.

I have since added the S&B particle separator which relocates the air pickup location.
I have since never had a fuel mpg under 20 mpg, with a range of 20 to 24 mpg... DRK

M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
we just did a 780 mile loop with ours loaded with camp gear 6 days and 5 nights all different terrain and speeds and got 29 mpg our friends rzr 1000 got 24

J

Jodyvaughn1963

Nov 21, 2020
Radford, VA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well that's great to hear.. I've had mine for about two weeks and I've only had it out once.. I rode about twenty miles and the gas gauge was still on full when we got back to the truck. I thought there was something wrong with it.. lol
Mom is doing the same thing stuck on full that's great

J

Jodyvaughn1963

Nov 21, 2020
Radford, VA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Spell check on my phone is crazy I meant to say my Talon is doing the same thing showing full all the time

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My usual day ride area is smooth gravel trails and I get 17-19 but when I hit the rocks, it drops to 12-1/4.

17-19
I XZqvfwx L

12-1/4
I nTN8w6P L

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
My usual day ride area is smooth gravel trails and I get 17-19 but when I hit the rocks, it drops to 12-1/4.

17-19
View attachment 238404

12-1/4
View attachment 238405
This sounds right to me ( i assume the 1/4 was intended to be 14) i removed the tube in the fill neck, when on a ride that i know to be 140-150 miles i dont take the rotopax. Known rides over 150 miles i take a 2 1/2 gallon, known rides around 200 plus gets the 4 1/2 unexplored areas that i guess at 175 or more i take the 4 1/2. I take both at 175 plus when there is someone along who doesn't carry fuel. Dont care about the fuel mileage, i just fill up when i get back. Glad the holiday weekend is over and a lot of people went home, we will probably do 200 plus wednesday

Reactions: TripleB and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This sounds right to me ( i assume the 1/4 was intended to be 14) i removed the tube in the fill neck, when on a ride that i know to be 140-150 miles i dont take the rotopax. Known rides over 150 miles i take a 2 1/2 gallon, known rides around 200 plus gets the 4 1/2 unexplored areas that i guess at 175 or more i take the 4 1/2. I take both at 175 plus when there is someone along who doesn't carry fuel. Dont care about the fuel mileage, i just fill up when i get back. Glad the holiday weekend is over and a lot of people went home, we will probably do 200 plus wednesday
For the record, I can see where you'd think 12-14 but I shortened the 12.28 to 12-1/4. Saying 12.28 seemed a bit OCD. 😊 I only had a few rocky rides this summer and they were all in the 12 plus a little bit, that one stuck in my head.

Like you, I don't care (much) about gas mileage but, wanting to explore the desert, I care a whole damn bunch about fuel range. :oops: Knowing it's so wildly variable isn't very comforting, how far can I really go today? I've also removed the tube in the fuel fill neck and bought a 3 gallon RotoPax for exploring. The stock tank holds 8.612 gallons with that tube removed, plus the 3 RotoPax puts me at 11.612 gallons times 12 mpg (minimum?) gets me 139 miles, that's a pretty long day and probably impossible in 12 mpg terrain.

What is the tube in the fuel filler neck and how to remove it - (at your own risk, Dudes)
(1) NEW BIGGER GAS TANK - The Honda Side by Side Club! (hondasxs.com)

Reactions: HavasuDave
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
130-140 miles with stock wheels and tires.
I am running 32's and i don't think they were a good choice. I do believe that the fuel range decreased significantly when i went from 30's to 32's, but like CID i believe the mileage is wildly variable and so i only concern myself with the range

Reactions: CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
For the record, I can see where you'd think 12-14 but I shortened the 12.28 to 12-1/4. Saying 12.28 seemed a bit OCD. 😊 I only had a few rocky rides this summer and they were all in the 12 plus a little bit, that one stuck in my head.

Like you, I don't care (much) about gas mileage but, wanting to explore the desert, I care a whole damn bunch about fuel range. :oops: Knowing it's so wildly variable isn't very comforting, how far can I really go today? I've also removed the tube in the fuel fill neck and bought a 3 gallon RotoPax for exploring. The stock tank holds 8.612 gallons with that tube removed, plus the 3 RotoPax puts me at 11.612 gallons times 12 mpg (minimum?) gets me 139 miles, that's a pretty long day and probably impossible in 12 mpg terrain.

What is the tube in the fuel filler neck and how to remove it - (at your own risk, Dudes)
(1) NEW BIGGER GAS TANK - The Honda Side by Side Club! (hondasxs.com)
If you get tired of the snow in the denverish area and come on over to southwest utah there is lots of desert to explore. Our ride last thursday was 137.04 miles with a moving time of 6.20.09 hours for a moving average of approximately 21.632771 mph. I think i kind of understand ocd😁

• Haha
Reactions: Boundertom and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you get tired of the snow in the denverish area and come on over to southwest utah there is lots of desert to explore. Our ride last thursday was 137.04 miles with a moving time of 6.20.09 hours for a moving average of approximately 21.632771 mph. I think i kind of understand ocd😁
My brotha!! :D

Utah is my favoritest place in the Universe, been going there since my first invite in 1972 and only missed a few years since then (25 consecutive years to Lake Powell). Plus the dirt bike trips.

Iffn it twern't fer Covid, I'd take you up on that offer RIGHT NOW. I'm still juggling with the idea anyway but Utah and Arizona are getting hit hard, Utah is asking people to stay away, emergency hospital care is being compromised (I'm north of 70 so could have an unforeseen emergency at any time, God forbid). I will be in Utah before summer, I already missed this spring and fall because of Covid. 😢 So I'll reach out sometime soon. #beers

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
@Josh97stang and I have been riding in up in the Ozarks on mostly hilly and rocky terrain with the occasional highway and gravel road thrown in and we are consistently getting over 100 miles per tank.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am running 32's and i don't think they were a good choice. I do believe that the fuel range decreased significantly when i went from 30's to 32's, but like CID i believe the mileage is wildly variable and so i only concern myself with the range
I've seen these MPG questions before and wonder if their mileage is based on the odometer or a GPS reading. Do people realize when they put larger tires on, they are actually going farther than the odometer reads? Some vehicles have odometer correction methods. No idea if the Talon does.

Reactions: Moab_Marty
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've seen these MPG questions before and wonder if their mileage is based on the odometer or a GPS reading. Do people realize when they put larger tires on, they are actually going farther than the odometer reads? Some vehicles have odometer correction methods. No idea if the Talon does.
Speedo DRD makes a mileage correction device for Hondas, one of them will work on the Talon. But there are 3 speed sensors on the Talon, I'm unsure what happens between using one or three, both choices are options depending on your setup. I can't add more info, I haven't looked into it.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Speedo DRD makes a mileage correction device for Hondas, one of them will work on the Talon. But there are 3 speed sensors on the Talon, I'm unsure what happens between using one or three, both choices are options depending on your setup. I can't add more info, I haven't looked into it.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!