Warranty Declined For Low Range Issue

M

Montreck

Jun 6, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I just received the following response from Aegis PowerSports regarding my extended warranty on my 2020 Talon. I have read about many issues with the Talons not going into low gear resulting in sub trans damage and when the issue struck my Talon if fully expected it to be covered under warranty.

Have any of you ran into a similar situation and successfully convinced the warranty company to cover the cost of the repairs? As it stands right now I’m going to be responsible for approximately $4200 in repair costs.

The warranty company is declining the repair. Below is the response from them.

Ok after review this claim is denied. Damage to shift forks and gear engagement dogs is expressly excluded from coverage official denial is as follows.

Thank you for your submission.

After review claim and photo’s, the mechanical failure claim request has been denied based on the following findings, and the Aegis Powersports Mechanical Failure Service Contract language.

Claim contention is: Gear engagement dogs show impact damage from impact with corresponding engaged gear. Gear engagement impact damage is a result of attempted shift with transmission out of phase. No defect in material only damage from impact. Gear engagement dogs and shift forks are expressly excluded from coverage as well as damage from impact.

Please refer to the attached Aegis Powersports Mechanical Failure Service Contract, under
EXCLUSIONS

G. Damage, failure, injury or death as a result of collision, impact, theft, fire, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, lightning, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water or flood.

Specific Parts the contract does not cover (unless expressly covered elsewhere in the contract): ; bent and/or burnt shift fork(s) or transmission engagement dogs…

Failed component is that of a specific non-covered part.

Any questions, concerns, or disputes, should be addressed to [email protected]

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That sucks.
Those 3rd party warranty services can be worse than Honda at getting a repair approved.

I would continue to fight this tho.
You need to collect information that this is an issue and that Honda has made "improvements" to prevent this.
I'll see if I can find the official document from Honda on this "improvement".

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
just received the following response from Aegis PowerSports regarding my extended warranty on my 2020 Talon
Welcome from Michigan.

Sorry to hear about your issues here. I have to agree with @Hondasxs , 3rd party warranty co’s 9 out of 10 times never do what u expect them to do and frankly are a PITA. Thats why my co (HVAC Dealer) will NOT deal with them. We say if u want the work done, pay for it from us then go back to them and beat your head to death! But at least its fixed now! There a waist of money! Only Factory extended warranty's are better. Not alot but better.

Since its your first post, we do require pics so we know your not a poo poo infiltrator POIDH.

Also, how many miles on the rig and what type of riding do you do?

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

On post 76 of my build I had the same issue. I bought it used and had no type of warranty because I have found them not to cover me because I "abuse" stuff. Lol. So I just had to pay out of pocket.

Anyway, since the new 2022 updated parts have been installed it has been engaging all gears correctely and easily. That tells me Honda knew it was a problem and fixed it. Maybe @HondaTech has some type of letter from Honda that can help your case on the warrany.

My 2001 Raptor had a similar problem where dogs broke off a gear and the 2002 had updated tranny parts. I tried like crazy to get yamaha to cover it but had no luck.

Good luck!!

H

HondaTech

Honda is paying for these under the factory 1 year warranty and HPP (Honda Protection Plan) coverage as long as the engine number shows it contains the older parts (2021 models affected in that case only)

Other (non-Honda) extended warranties differ, we only sell HPP except for battery warranties and GAP.

It sounds like your 3rd party warranty is the problem here. Maybe see if Honda would good will something, but I doubt it since it's 3 model years old now.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I abused my 2016 Pioneer 1000 and damaged the low gear engagement dogs. My buddy was stuck in snow with a broken belt. I jerked him out but after a few tries the low range gear dogs failed. I dug him out and pulled him out in high range. I replaced both high and low range gears and both shift forks. The parts don't cost a lot and it doesn't take very long to replace the parts. Now the dealers may be charging $140.00 an hour so at 6 to 10 hours it shouldn't cost anywhere close to $4,200. Most dealers have replaced the sub trans gears. There was a dealer Techline tip about installing the improved shift drum star. It had a deeper detent and maybe a bit more gear dog engagement too. It doesn't take 26 hours to replace the damaged parts so it may be time to check with another dealer especially if you have a Honda only dealer.

H

HondaTech

I abused my 2016 Pioneer 1000 and damaged the low gear engagement dogs. My buddy was stuck in snow with a broken belt. I jerked him out but after a few tries the low range gear dogs failed. I dug him out and pulled him out in high range. I replaced both high and low range gears and both shift forks. The parts don't cost a lot and it doesn't take very long to replace the parts. Now the dealers may be charging $140.00 an hour so at 6 to 10 hours it shouldn't cost anywhere close to $4,200. Most dealers have replaced the sub trans gears. There was a dealer Techline tip about installing the improved shift drum star. It had a deeper detent and maybe a bit more gear dog engagement too. It doesn't take 26 hours to replace the damaged parts so it may be time to check with another dealer especially if you have a Honda only dealer.

I can second the cost being way cheaper. I believe we're doing 6 hours of labor ($600) plus parts. So most likely under $1500, if not under $1000.

If you remove your skid plates and bumper (if equipped with a winch) ill knock an hour off.

M

Montreck

Jun 6, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Welcome from Michigan.

Sorry to hear about your issues here. I have to agree with @Hondasxs , 3rd party warranty co’s 9 out of 10 times never do what u expect them to do and frankly are a PITA. Thats why my co (HVAC Dealer) will NOT deal with them. We say if u want the work done, pay for it from us then go back to them and beat your head to death! But at least its fixed now! There a waist of money! Only Factory extended warranty's are better. Not alot but better.

Since its your first post, we do require pics so we know your not a poo poo infiltrator POIDH.

Also, how many miles on the rig and what type of riding do you do?
HYG…it’s got aboit 1500 miles on it.

IMG 0492 IMG 0489

M

Montreck

Jun 6, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I appreciate all the feed back. I met with the shop foreman yesterday. He’s going to get with the Aegis rep as well as with Honda to see what can be done. Thanks for the info on what it should cost. I’ll definitely take it elsewhere before paying that shop $4200

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My talon was $2900 to have a dealer fix it. Another dealer quoted $1600 but it was out about 2 months.

More than I wanted to pay but it was convenient. I dropped it off, flew to Florida for a week vacation, and they had it done by the time I got home. Then I was able to go on a long Ride weekend I had planned with friends.

H

HondaTech

My talon was $2900 to have a dealer fix it. Another dealer quoted $1600 but it was out about 2 months.

More than I wanted to pay but it was convenient. I dropped it off, flew to Florida for a week vacation, and they had it done by the time I got home. Then I was able to go on a long Ride weekend I had planned with friends.

Damm, we need to up our prices then, lol

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
going to get with the Aegis rep
Good luck with that one!
3rd parties usually wont budge. There decision is usually it. They show there colors if they change it fyi. The rep has little power in that department. The SM is blowing smoke Im afraid. Hopdully he gets you an apple or something out of it? Sounds like its your seelership that needs talking too with there price to fix it! Prob what freaked your 3rd party warranty guys

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
$4200 sounds ridiculous to me.

You need to find out the flat rate on the job and add about an hour for incidentals.

M

Montreck

Jun 6, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X4

Great info, thanks!

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The warranty company is not going to pay. Don’t even hope they might eventually see it your way. They have a specific exclusion for the repair in question, and therefore are not liable. They’re not going to pay just to be nice to you, that cuts in to profits.
I never buy those aftermarket warranties. I’ve read too many stories about how they find a way to deny payment. I’d rather just save that money toward getting repairs done without the drama.
Sorry about your luck.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
If I were you @Montreck , I would pay whoever to remove the subtrans and send it to Adam Brown at AB fabrication and Performance in Alabama. His number is (334) 412-3442. He has built many of the subtrans for lots of folks on FB and I've never seen one of his have any issue afterward. I would abolsutely do this if I ever had any issue with mine.

H

HondaTech

If I were you @Montreck , I would pay whoever to remove the subtrans and send it to Adam Brown at AB fabrication and Performance in Alabama. His number is (334) 412-3442. He has built many of the subtrans for lots of folks on FB and I've never seen one of hi have any issue afterward. I would abolsutely do this if I ever had any issue with mine.

Send it to me and we'll actually make it look like you spent money to have something done instead of the same dirty ass mess.

20220222 175250

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!