toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Elka did recommend them when I bought some shocks for my old Raptor 660. I don’t know if that means anything though.

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My dual sport motorcycle has upside down forks, the chrome tubes hang out the bottom (duh). What happens is this - you ride through some mud and the entire shaft gets coated with mud. You (I) only use a fraction of the travel most of the time, that lets the mud dry on the chrome tubes, OK so far. But there's always that big hit that uses most of your travel - so what? The dried mud on the exposed shaft gets force fed into the shock/fork seal, that's what. It only takes a few of these events to destroy the seals (if not the chrome tube/shaft) and now you've got fork seals leaking oil all over your front brake caliper/pads. That gets real old, real fast.

And that is what shock covers are for, protect the chromed shaft and shock seals.

Last edited:
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dual sport motorcycle has upside down forks, the chrome tubes hang out the bottom (duh). What happens is this - you ride through some mud and the entire shaft get coated with mud. You (I) only use a fraction of the travel most of the time, that lets the mud dry on the chrome tubes, OK so far. But there's always that big hit that uses most of your travel - so what? The dried mud on the exposed shaft gets force fed into the shock/fork seal, that's what. It only takes a few of these events to destroy the seals (if not the chrome tube/shaft) and now you've got fork seals leaking oil all over your front brake caliper/pads. That gets real old, real fast.

And that is what shock covers are for, protect the chromed shaft and shock seals.
I never knew that!

Reactions: toddvdh and CID
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'd double or triple those zip ties, they're going to get 'worked' in this application. Or get the 1/2" zip ties, even better.

I never thought about putting my shock covers over the plastic shields, I squeezed them in between the shield and spring.

I hope you are happy now! :p

23B801B6 352A 49EA BFFE 1AF53F2D9958

A536E722 2232 4033 80E8 0EECEC362482

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, I took it up to the cabin where it will live. I put on about 30 miles and everything was good. We had 50-60 degrees all weekend so perfect riding weather. The 1/2 windshield I rigged up put the wind at my forehead, while still being able to see over it, which was perfect. The kids loved the center bump seat.

Totally different machine than the Pioneer 1000-5 though. Riding the trails the Talon was way more fun, sliding on the ice and mud. :) When I did put a helmet on to ride the trails, my head was about 2" from the roof, which caused it to bump it lightly and/or hit the cage when i looked behind me. So, rearview side mirrors are in my future, and probably lowering the driver seat an inch or two.

But when it came to doing slow trails through technical terrain or following the kids on their little 4-wheeler under 15 mph, I liked the Pioneer 1000-5 better. It was less jerky and seems to have lower gearing.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I added some side mirrors last weekend. I didn't take pictures of the mirrors, but they are just ones from Fleet Farm. Here's a few videos to enjoy.

Amazing didn't get stuck in that deep stuff. Was there a click I heard right before you started to get traction?

Did you manually change something or was that the i4wd doing something?

Reactions: toddvdh
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Amazing didn't get stuck in that deep stuff. Was there a click I heard right before you started to get traction?

I think you're hearing the clutch engage/transmission shift, the i4wd makes no noise (on mine at least).

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I was amazed that I didn't get stuck also! I did get a lap full of 40* mud and water in reverse. Something to think about with only a 1/4 windshield. 🥶

It only clicks like that in mud. It does it in 2wd and i4wd. It feels like the clutches or transmission shifting like mentioned above. My i4wd seems to be quiet also.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was amazed that I didn't get stuck also!

It only clicks like that in mud. It does it in 2wd and i4wd. It feels like the clutches or transmission shifting like mentioned above. My i4wd seems to be quiet also.

So had you left it in auto then vs. manual transmission? Was it downshifting at that time?

What's the best strategy you've found for those real mucky, easily stuck situations for gearing/manual/auto?

Reactions: 906UP
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So had you left it in auto then vs. manual transmission? Was it downshifting at that time?

What's the best strategy you've found for those real mucky, easily stuck situations for gearing/manual/auto?

Well, I've only put about 60 miles on the machine so far. This is the first time I got it deep in the mud. I left it in auto for this video. I didn't even think about manual, but I'll have to try that next time. After rewatching the video, I think it was upshifting on me.

On my pioneer 1000-5 I never take it out of auto and it never makes these shifting noises. 🤔 So, if anyone has advice, I'll take it.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

I've found it's best to be in manual for the sticky stuff, if it shifts due to wheel speed you can lose momentum.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Well, I've only put about 60 miles on the machine so far. This is the first time I got it deep in the mud. I left it in auto for this video. I didn't even think about manual, but I'll have to try that next time. After rewatching the video, I think it was upshifting on me.

On my pioneer 1000-5 I never take it out of auto and it never makes these shifting noises. 🤔 So, if anyone has advice, I'll take it.
I switch to manual if I'm running in slower more technical stuff or mud and always use manual when in low range. The only time I leave it in auto is when we're just cruising. I came from a 2016 P5 that didn't have auto so banging the flippers feels natural to me.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, I feel the machine is pretty well set up so I haven't changed anything. Just been putting miles on!!

I did learn that in the mud you should use manual mode. The clunking in the mud was the machine shifting on me.

Here are some pics from my last trail ride.

IMG 1718

Sand angels!!

IMG 1719

IMG 1727

We found an awesome camping spot on a river way back in some county forest land for next summer. The water was in the low 60's, but at 82* outside we took a little dip anyway.

IMG 1724

IMG 1732

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Well, I feel the machine is pretty well set up so I haven't changed anything. Just been putting miles on!!

I did learn that in the mud you should use manual mode. The clunking in the mud was the machine shifting on me.

Here are some pics from my last trail ride.

View attachment 296507

Sand angels!!

View attachment 296508
View attachment 296509

We found an awesome camping spot on a river way back in some county forest land for next summer. The water was in the low 60's, but at 82* outside we took a little dip anyway.

View attachment 296510

View attachment 296511
View attachment 296512
Looks like everyone an amazing time!!

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They love going on rides!

I think I’m going to start on a full windshield for winter soon. I have some covid sneeze guards that are 3/8 poly. They bend nice in our brake press and have been sitting in a corner for a few months now.

Last edited:
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I found the issue I was having under load in the mud. I ended up having a dealer rebuild the sub tranny with the 2022 updated parts. So hopefully no more problems with the sub trans. While it was at the dealer they checked the parking collar, airbox clamps, and the fuel pump. They had it done in 3 weeks so pretty fast.

Below are a few pictures of the broken parts.

IMG 3629
IMG 3628
IMG 3627
IMG 3626
IMG 3630

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also got rid of the warning plate. I will probably do some backlighting at some point but I decided I like the brushed aluminum look and just put a couple coats of clear on it.

IMG 3624

I also put some new registration decals on. They are red so it should give me a couple more MPH top speed.

IMG 3625

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!