Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I may look into that 10-80 pre-filter later on. I must confess i didn't know it existed until You guys pointed that out :) oh well, i'm trying to learn as i go. For now i'm using the BVC cover with with a shaved OE snorkel and the Uni6300AST filter.
I did the cut already
View attachment 42838420240508_151547 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

View attachment 42838520240508_153345 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

View attachment 42838620240508_155906 by RAM RSM, on Flickr
What happens when u put packouts in there like the rest of us?
Might have a little room to still breathe. Let us know how quick that clogs up under there. Will be interested to see particularly at the dunes.

T

TalonRSM

May 5, 2024
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
What happens when u put packouts in there like the rest of us?
Might have a little room to still breathe. Let us know how quick that clogs up under there. Will be interested to see particularly at the dunes.
Sure i'll update as i go. I haven't thought about packouts yet. This stuff gets expensive very quickly, Damn.
I don't have dunes around i'll have to take the trip to Pismo Beach, but our trails are dusty as heck, lots of rocks and dirt everywhere like Arizona or Nevada trails. Do you know the trails at Johnson Valley where KOH happens ? that's what we have around.

Reactions: CID and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sure i'll update as i go. I haven't thought about packouts yet. This stuff gets expensive very quickly, Damn.
I don't have dunes around i'll have to take the trip to Pismo Beach, but our trails are dusty as heck, lots of rocks and dirt everywhere like Arizona or Nevada trails. Do you know the trails at Johnson Valley where KOH happens ? that's what we have around.
Yeah thats dusty. Thought in one of your other threads u said dunes? My bad. Close enough where u will be lol.
We have sandy trails here and its gets bad. I have the Dirts filter set up and its up high not under the fender and dosnt take long to plug up. I have one of those skin covers for the filter, it helps some. Might want to look into one of those.
As for adding up 🤣😂 sure does! We aint joking when we say youll be re mortgaging the house soon! 🤣

T

TalonRSM

May 5, 2024
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah thats dusty. Thought in one of your other threads u said dunes? My bad. Close enough where u will be lol.
We have sandy trails here and its gets bad. I have the Dirts filter set up and its up high not under the fender and dosnt take long to plug up. I have one of those skin covers for the filter, it helps some. Might want to look into one of those.
As for adding up 🤣😂 sure does! We aint joking when we say youll be re mortgaging the house soon! 🤣
I have a filter sock somewhere in the mess i have on top of the trailer. Trailer fitted in the garage but we had to shift a lot of crap around to give it room, you can imagine where everything ended up after the trailer came in :)
when it comes to mods i try to do everything myself and it's similar to what i do with my Jeep and RAM truck to a point except now i have to worry about oiling my damn air filters with some freaking goo, lol I'll take the trip tomorrow to my local Cycle gear store to pick some foam filter oil and cleaners. I ordered from Amazon and ended up paying more to what my cycle gear shop will charge me and on top of that they failed to deliver today. Never bought anything for SXS so i didn't know that store ever existed. good to know because eventually i'll need Motor oil and the oil filters and all that stuff.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The problem with that ^ is that the rear tire is still throwing all kinds of dirt, dust, sand, and mud up there.

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I may look into that 10-80 pre-filter later on. I must confess i didn't know it existed until You guys pointed that out :) oh well, i'm trying to learn as i go. For now i'm using the BVC cover with with a shaved OE snorkel and the Uni6300AST filter.
I did the cut already
View attachment 42838420240508_151547 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

View attachment 42838520240508_153345 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

View attachment 42838620240508_155906 by RAM RSM, on Flickr
I did the BVC on my '19. It worked good but was still in a horrible location. Filter changes were frequent but very fast and easy, plus it keeps the filter out of the rain. But when I changed from a storage box held in by bungee straps to the Moose box that I bolted to the bed, it became too much of a pain to change the filter. The Moose box had to be unbolted and removed to be able to remove the BVC plate. I went with the 10-80 Dirt sports filter on my '23.

T

TalonRSM

May 5, 2024
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Added the Hess seat belt bypass and the Hess I4wd override. The instructions for the override are simple but without any pictures and somebody who had no idea what the blue plug in the front bay in the or the green plug on the front diff would have been a long ordeal of phone calls to the vendor ,so Youtube university came to the rescue :)
Also i'm glad i started with the seat belt bypass because i also wouldn't have any idea how to separate the green little plug from the big one at the front diff for the override. In both videos that i found that show that green plug people said they had a hard time getting the plug separated. In the one video for the seat belt bypass the guy explained exactly how the tab holding the little plug work and between that and a little pick to pull that tab back made the job a breeze.

Blue plug in the front bay area

53711275205 a2342f2fe7 o20240509_185026 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

53711054773 e6087d9889 o20240509_181802 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

and the green one by the front diff
53710840361 238533c75c o20240509_180515 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

53711054613 bb5fdd7eee o20240509_180510 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I did f..k up with the opening for the rocker switch. Got carry away with the tool i used and made the opening a little bigger than needed so i ended up wrapping the back of the rocker switch with electrical tape to add more material for the thing to fit better and then i used a little glue to hold it in place. Next time i'll know how to cut the next opening to perfection.

53711055018 9387eb3c3f o20240509_193645 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington and CID
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Added the Hess seat belt bypass and the Hess I4wd override.
Any of this kind of stuff in the future, please check the club store first. You prob get a better deal and you support the forum😉
And the tech support and destructions are pretty cool too. No LubeTube needed

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CID and TalonRSM
T

TalonRSM

May 5, 2024
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Had the rig out this past weekend for the first time. My son and i had a blast with it. Learned a few things from strapping the thing down, i'll remove the trailer spare tire from where i put, it hangs to low in there, literally 5" or so from the ground.

53718760314 d8bb8dc807 oUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

53718870921 b425a2892e o20240511_143119 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Asides from that we had one issue where the engine died on me when we where at an incline and i stopped to take a picture. I remember the engine idle went up a little bit like it will for example if i had an intake leak and then the engine died. Restarted without any issues and continued on, i stopped the Talon again like 200-300ft from where it died initially and it did it again. rpm went a little higher then the engine stalled. I didn't want to take the chances so we back to the truck and back home. At home i checked the prefilter just in case , battery cables, ground points etc. Didn't find anything loose although my prefilter was oiled to heck. Cleaned that out and went back to the same place yesterday.

We played for about 1 hour or so getting a feel for the rig without any issues. So i'm not sure what it was but i was reading around that sometimes the motor can have a fluke like this ? I went WOT couple of times and holy cow she's got lots of power to peg us back to our seats. I can only imagine how thing will do with a Turbo lol.

53717518817 8dc67c5209 oUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

53719199589 e11e5e5523 o20240511_145434 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

53718638688 33ec14a166 oUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

For the packout i kept things simple
30-qt Igloo cooler for $30, Bauer large tool box from HF for $39, and one of the bags i have in my Jeep to keep tools :), used 2 ratchet straps to keep things secured down there.
53717994167 78d876a91e o20240513_110818 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB and CID
advertisement
T

TalonRSM

May 5, 2024
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
My filter held up without any issues with the BVC cover, i don't see it dirty at all, the outer sock i added on top of the UNI did what it needs to do and i ordered a 2nd one cause i'll need it.

But, i can see the point where having to change that filter will be a tad more cumbersome and that dirt may accumulate rather quickly given the location, but more importantly for me i did cut a little too much of the OE snorkel down (closer to where the pipe has the elbow) and i don't like how the filter is held up in place so i ordered the 10-80 UNI pre-filter kit. I should have it this week. I'll pay especial attention when making the hole. It seems i'm too quick making cuts only to realize i f...d things up after the fact. I don't want to mess this one up.
Thinking to use a small drill bit and make little holes using the template they provide. I don't have anything that can make round holes so hopefully that will be ok..

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thinking to use a small drill bit and make little holes using the template they provide. I don't have anything that can make round holes so hopefully that will be ok..
It doesn't matter how bad you mess up the hole, the 10-80 flange covers all of it.

But here's how I cut my hole (not a 10-80 Sports, he hadn't invented his yet) -
I R5KVWnT X2

I hZgkGhP X3

Reactions: TalonRSM
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I did f..k up with the opening for the rocker switch. Got carry away with the tool i used and made the opening a little bigger than needed so i ended up wrapping the back of the rocker switch with electrical tape to add more material for the thing to fit better and then i used a little glue to hold it in place. Next time i'll know how to cut the next opening to perfection.
I don't know if this specific holder will work for the switch you have (measure and compare), and they do have several other sized holders/bezels as well ... but this might clean up the dash where you accidentally hacked a little too much plastic away:

Or maybe the single-gang one here:

Reactions: TalonRSM
T

TalonRSM

May 5, 2024
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't know if this specific holder will work for the switch you have (measure and compare), and they do have several other sized holders/bezels as well ... but this might clean up the dash where you accidentally hacked a little too much plastic away:

Or maybe the single-gang one here:
Awesome, i ordered the one from Amazon i'll have it tomorrow.

Reactions: Scoop and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!