Warranty denial

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah - part of what I don't understand. If it was somehow missed in PDI you'd think the guy that put it on the trailer to bring it to my house would have noticed and said "uh - this needs to be fixed before I take it, so the customer doesn't say something when I drop it off".

I think I went .10 miles before my OCD kicked in and went back to garage to remount steering wheel

PDI means the wash boy gets the machine ready and they charge lotsa $$'s

Reactions: Backwoods and Scoop
Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
To me, a crooked wheel is a massive obvious issue. And if I had the right tools I would have done it. But I didn't.

I also wouldn't have expected to find oil on my garage floor after I brought it home from the first service. They spilled some, didn't clean it up and it leaked out while sitting after I bought it home. When I bought it home this time, they didn't put the cover back over the electrical connectors under the driver's seat. It was folder in half and shoved under the seat. For $150 an hour I expect better. Obviously too much...

They come in crate. Don't they have to do something other than put gas in it and wash it?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
To me, a crooked wheel is a massive obvious issue. And if I had the right tools I would have done it. But I didn't.

I also wouldn't have expected to find oil on my garage floor after I brought it home from the first service. They spilled some, didn't clean it up and it leaked out while sitting after I bought it home. When I bought it home this time, they didn't put the cover back over the electrical connectors under the driver's seat. It was folder in half and shoved under the seat. For $150 an hour I expect better. Obviously too much...

They come in crate. Don't they have to do something other than put gas in it and wash it?
Is this your first new SXS?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

It took years of therapy and and handful of meds to get my brain right after experiencing exactly what you are going thru - 😂

When mine was new there were a couple of recalls due and I said the heck with it - change the oil as well……

They shorted me a quart, oil everywhere and when I called - they said bring it back - must be something wrong with motor - I said service tech musta ran out of fingers - I know the owner and got him on the phone so all he could do was apologize at that point - service isn’t what it used to be I’m afraid to say

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I had the FLV light go on on my first 3 rides. The next day it was ok each time. I was thinking one of the shocks needed some break-in. I have 3,800 miles on it now and the light hasn't come back on. I have the 2023 Talon R 4-seater. I haven't checked the codes but will if I have another problem.

Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
It took years of therapy and and handful of meds to get my brain right after experiencing exactly what you are going thru - 😂

When mine was new there were a couple of recalls due and I said the heck with it - change the oil as well……

They shorted me a quart, oil everywhere and when I called - they said bring it back - must be something wrong with motor - I said service tech musta ran out of fingers - I know the owner and got him on the phone so all he could do was apologize at that point - service isn’t what it used to be I’m afraid to say

Service is a lacking word about everywhere. But they sure don't reflect that in their invoicing!

Reactions: Backwoods
Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
I had the FLV light go on on my first 3 rides. The next day it was ok each time. I was thinking one of the shocks needed some break-in. I have 3,800 miles on it now and the light hasn't come back on. I have the 2023 Talon R 4-seater. I haven't checked the codes but will if I have another problem.

Took mine in as the warranty is running out. And the fact that something was off as it definitely rode different. The "Live Valve" wasn't so alive.

Reactions: Backwoods
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Be careful messing with the steering wheel and alignment on newer machines. I believe they require a steering angle sensor relearn. I believe the procedure is in the service manual for 22+ Pioneers. I would have to check a newer Talon manual to see what it says.

22+ Pioneer 1000
View attachment 431976
Service manual has 3 or 4 pages of procedures. I am not going to copy/paste them all.

His machine has the older power steering/ angle sensor setup so no rack center learning needed.

He could however have a steering angle sensor that isn't centered and causing the listed codes.

advertisement
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
always the last thing that gets touched for the most part - jeez - good luck

what I know from the smart honda tech that was on here there was some calibration procedure that could only be done at the stealership with the diagnostic tool for the steering angle sensor

Tis a major pia for the end consumer and even shops who aren't dealer affiliated.

The Honda MCS is a very useful tool in the right hands or a necessary tool is these cases

Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Tis a major pia for the end consumer and even shops who aren't dealer affiliated.

The Honda MCS is a very useful tool in the right hands or a necessary tool is these cases

The SA made the comment when I asked if it was an OBDII port that all off road connections are proprietary… Definitely sucks for the indy shops.

I’ll be doing as much myself as possible going forward. And looking for an indy shop too if I need one.

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The SA made the comment when I asked if it was an OBDII port that all off road connections are proprietary… Definitely sucks for the indy shops.

I’ll be doing as much myself as possible going forward. And looking for an indy shop too if I need one.

Honda has recently listed a Generic Scan Tool option in certain sections on certain units to read codes, i've tried an Autel I own but it might be too smart to read the code without inputting a model that it doesn't recognize.

Supposedly Europe is mandating standard motorcycle diagnostic connectors, hence Honda moving everything to 6 pin from 4 pin even without CanBus. They've also said that they may be pushed to OBD in the U.S soon.

Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Honda has recently listed a Generic Scan Tool option in certain sections on certain units to read codes, i've tried an Autel I own but it might be too smart to read the code without inputting a model that it doesn't recognize.

Supposedly Europe is mandating standard motorcycle diagnostic connectors, hence Honda moving everything to 6 pin from 4 pin even without CanBus. They've also said that they may be pushed to OBD in the U.S soon.

You sound well versed in the topic at hand sir.

I need to take a look at the service manual which I have not yet had a chance to do.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
SA claims since they weren’t ”active” when I took it in it’s not a warranty item.

Anyone ever have a similar experience?

Thanks very much.
Ive been a service tech for 25yrs now and nothing has changed in this process. This is normal procedure for any warranty, Auto, sxs, HVAC Etc. you can pull old codes all day and it indeed helps but only if the system is replicating the/a problem if it exists at the present time. Any tech will tell you that an intermittent issue is the hardest problem to diagnose. Sucks for you and us. We call them ghost problems. Some are just a glitch pass through with no issue at all. The system/computer is reading multiple things at a time and changing from one set point to another and the slightest down or uptick in voltage can cause a system/computer/circuit board to throw code with no problems to the system and may never show up again. Its The price we pay for technology right? Lol
Manufactures will not give us any kind of warranty pay for labor or parts if we dont have a so called “hard” (NoHmo) occurring issue that is physically worked on or replaced with full documentation and correction of the issue.
The Boss or Owner of the company issnt happy doing things for free, we and they have to get paid for our time as well. Sometimes you have to see the other side of the coin.

Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Ive been a service tech for 25yrs now and nothing has changed in this process. This is normal procedure for any warranty, Auto, sxs, HVAC Etc. you can pull old codes all day and it indeed helps but only if the system is replicating the/a problem if it exists at the present time. Any tech will tell you that an intermittent issue is the hardest problem to diagnose. Sucks for you and us. We call them ghost problems. Some are just a glitch pass through with no issue at all. The system/computer is reading multiple things at a time and changing from one set point to another and the slightest down or uptick in voltage can cause a system/computer/circuit board to throw code with no problems to the system and may never show up again. Its The price we pay for technology right? Lol
Manufactures will not give us any kind of warranty pay for labor or parts if we dont have a so called “hard” (NoHmo) occurring issue that is physically worked on or replaced with full documentation and correction of the issue.
The Boss or Owner of the company issnt happy doing things for free, we and they have to get paid for our time as well. Sometimes you have to see the other side of the coin.

Technology is great. Stinks when it doesn’t work right - just like when you have a PC problem. An intermittent problem does suck - as me how I know. :) The light turning on four times tells me there’s been something wrong. And I can feel the suspension not working correctly. I’ll see if the alignment and clearing the codes did anything.

I’m going to go for a ride again today. The steering angle sensor makes complete sense to me. If it continues the same way they will never be able to do anything as every time I have turned the machine off the light doesn’t stay on when it’s turned back on.

Thanks very much for all the feedback and suggestions. I really appreciate it!!

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Technology is great. Stinks when it doesn’t work right - just like when you have a PC problem. An intermittent problem does suck - as me how I know. :) The light turning on four times tells me there’s been something wrong. And I can feel the suspension not working correctly. I’ll see if the alignment and clearing the codes did anything.

I’m going to go for a ride again today. The steering angle sensor makes complete sense to me. If it continues the same way they will never be able to do anything as every time I have turned the machine off the light doesn’t stay on when it’s turned back on.

Thanks very much for all the feedback and suggestions. I really appreciate it!!
If you are feeling something they had and that suspension and that lights come on a couple times then some unsolicited advice would be to take it back to the dealer you had it at and suggest you ride with a technician to hopefully describe and replicate the issue. That helps us out a lot then just saying here this is what I got.

Reactions: Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you are feeling something they had and that suspension and that lights come on a couple times then some unsolicited advice would be to take it back to the dealer you had it at and suggest you ride with a technician to hopefully describe and replicate the issue. That helps us out a lot then just saying here this is what I got.
I was gonna reply with something along those lines, but was too lazy this AM 😄

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
advertisement