Computer/electronics issues AND Extended warranty purchase

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
That thread title might not make much sense. Here is the deal: My Talon is coming up on a year old. I don't often buy extended warranties, but I am thinking about it for this Talon. Time is running out. 2900 miles so far and no issues that have required a trip to the dealer. I MUCH prefer to deal with things myself when possible. I have been concerned about the electronic complexities of the Talon. Repairing any of that will likely be beyond my capabilities. Looking under the driver's seat is somewhat frightening. That is the main reason that I was considering buying an extended warranty. But then I was thinking (that is sometimes dangerous) that I have not read of many/any issues with the computers/electronics. Maybe I am worrying about nothing?

The other thing that makes me think about the extended warranty is resale. I might want to sell my Talon in another 3 years or so, likely to buy a new one. Then I can have the fun of accessorizing all over again! At 4 years old, I might have 12,000 miles on it. Nothing like Hondabob, but still more than average. I think having a year or so of extended warranty left would be a significant benefit for resale.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
That thread title might not make much sense. Here is the deal: My Talon is coming up on a year old. I don't often buy extended warranties, but I am thinking about it for this Talon. Time is running out. 2900 miles so far and no issues that have required a trip to the dealer. I MUCH prefer to deal with things myself when possible. I have been concerned about the electronic complexities of the Talon. Repairing any of that will likely be beyond my capabilities. Looking under the driver's seat is somewhat frightening. That is the main reason that I was considering buying an extended warranty. But then I was thinking (that is sometimes dangerous) that I have not read of many/any issues with the computers/electronics. Maybe I am worrying about nothing?

The other thing that makes me think about the extended warranty is resale. I might want to sell my Talon in another 3 years or so, likely to buy a new one. Then I can have the fun of accessorizing all over again! At 4 years old, I might have 12,000 miles on it. Nothing like Hondabob, but still more than average. I think having a year or so of extended warranty left would be a significant benefit for resale.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Bob and I got extended warranty . As for miles driven I AM AMAZED AT THE MILES YOU HAVE PUT ON ! Never heard of a four year old driving . When you get to HondaBobs age you will have 8000000000 miles at least .

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My Pioneer will be one year old in several days. I have also weighed the Hondeacare decision.

Hondas are generally well designed and manufactured and both Pioneers and Talons have good reputations for durability. My Pioneer has had no issues in almost 1700 miles. I'm not aware of any common failures likely to occur like rubber band drives on Polaris and Can-Am models. I drive my Pioneer on pavement like an old man - which I am.

An extended warranty would cost me close to $1000 the last time I priced one. Perhaps more now.

My Pioneer is a low-risk machine. I've decided to keep my money. Chances of needing the warranty or small.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
7500 miles on my '21, only problem to date was the front drive shaft caps needed welded. I run them until i am concerned about reliability, sell them for what i can get and move on. Prior '19 talon disappointed me at 16000 miles. pretty sure the warranty would have been useless, have never bought one and probably never will. As always, your milage may vary.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi Tom -
Like Hondasxs, I've heard too many situations where Honda or their dealerships reneged on warranty claims. IF, and it's a big IF, my Talon has a failure, I can afford to have it fixed - I might have to bend over but it's better than throwing away $$$$ up front betting that it's going to fail. And for me, it's not if it fails, it's WHERE it might fail and the warranty will do me no good there.

I did a campsite oil change yesterday at 5500 miles, just south of St. George, Utah.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
December 19th will be one year for me. I’m thinking the same as op. 1500 miles and no issues till a few days ago heard some clinking noise on right rear area. Not sure what I’ll do, I’m gonna see what $$ the dealership asks…..btw he told me to come to him when the expiration date arrived that he would help.

Reactions: Lady01
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
December 19th will be one year for me. I’m thinking the same as op. 1500 miles and no issues till a few days ago heard some clinking noise on right rear area. Not sure what I’ll do, I’m gonna see what $$ the dealership asks…..btw he told me to come to him when the expiration date arrived that he would help.
I think HondaTech just said that Honda won’t replace rear axles anymore just because they’re clicking/popping, if that’s true and I have no reason to believe it isn’t, the warranty won’t do you any good anyway. :(

PaulF just started a thread showing his CV joints disassembled and the inner joints aren’t holding up very well. He believes it’s poor QC letting some poorly treated components get into assembly, this explains why some are failing and some aren’t. Mine just started popping at 5000 miles.

Reactions: Lady01 and Dankathy
Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
If they won’t warranty the issues I may replace them myself. Any recommendations on aftermarket upgrades?

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
It was $600 at the time on my 2015 P500......never needed it.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi Tom -
Like Hondasxs, I've heard too many situations where Honda or their dealerships reneged on warranty claims. IF, and it's a big IF, my Talon has a failure, I can afford to have it fixed - I might have to bend over but it's better than throwing away $$$$ up front betting that it's going to fail. And for me, it's not if it fails, it's WHERE it might fail and the warranty will do me no good there.

I did a campsite oil change yesterday at 5500 miles, just south of St. George, Utah.
How long are you going to be there? Maybe we'll be home by then. Can't keep old retired people in one place for very long you know.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!