Talon front differential leak - covered under warranty?

T

TouringTheRockies

May 15, 2021
Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a 2021 Talon and the front differential was leaking. After a bunch of research I found that this is common and sounded like it would be covered under warranty. I drove all the way to the dealership and when I dropped it off, I was told it would be covered under warranty. When it came time to pick it up, there was a balance due for the part and labor. The reason, gaskets and seals are not covered under factory warranty. I have owned it less than three months, it has less than 300 miles on it. I called Honda Powersports customer service. They said they said the dealership determines warranty coverage and provided no further information.

For those of you that have had differential seals replaced, was it covered under warranty?

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Warranty is parts and labor as far as I know. Sounds like they may have done a goodwill situation where as you pay for the parts and Honda pays the labor.

Reactions: Smitty335
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have a 2021 Talon and the front differential was leaking. After a bunch of research I found that this is common and sounded like it would be covered under warranty. I drove all the way to the dealership and when I dropped it off, I was told it would be covered under warranty. When it came time to pick it up, there was a balance due for the part and labor. The reason, gaskets and seals are not covered under factory warranty. I have owned it less than three months, it has less than 300 miles on it. I called Honda Powersports customer service. They said they said the dealership determines warranty coverage and provided no further information.

For those of you that have had differential seals replaced, was it covered under warranty?
100% covered by Star Island Motor Sports In AZ . They have done several of my friends too .

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
What the heck is a warranty if they don't cover parts and labor for abnormal failures. Compare to a car where normal wear and tear items such as oil and brakes would not be covered but everything else would be. Methinks you need to have a discussion with the dealer and ask for your warranty money back if they don't pick it up.

Reactions: CID
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Either the service writer dont know what hes doing or they just wanted to doop you for more money. P&L is just that P&L especially with that time and miles. I see this alot with hack HVAC companies with a system under P&Ltell the customer “oh this part of it isn't covered mam” to double dip you cuz they figure you dont know better. They will still turn in those parts and the labor for the warranty all the while charged u for them so they get extra again. Total BS and disrespectful IMO dam Cockeaters!!
Id take my bill right back there and talk to the General Manager and get reimbursed or tell them you wont be coming back again! And you WILL be telling friends and multiple colleagues not to patronage at this dealership! And you know alot of them! See if that helps.

Oh and welcome from Michigan. When u get a chance, post some pics of your Talon so we can se it, thanks and good luck!

Reactions: Udaman and Mudwing
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well, if Honda paid for everything and they charged you for the parts, that's considered fraud.

Reactions: Remington
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Welcome to the site, also from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

The link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon information.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes the dealership determines warranty coverage. They have to do the correct paperwork. The work you had done should be covered. There is dealerships and stealerships. .

Reactions: Smitty335
Adam_20_Adam

Adam_20_Adam

Aug 25, 2019
Western Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

Mine was. Heck the second set was as well.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Soooooo is the moral of the story, make sure you ask about warrnty coverage on front differential seals and gaskets before you take ownership. Can this be negotiated before the close of the sale ??????

Mudd-man1000

Mudd-man1000

Aug 17, 2019
Morgan co
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon R
My front and rear leaked and they covered them

M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
As far as I know honda comes with a 1 YEAR warranty bumper to bumper! They repaired my pioneer and my talon leaky seals also covered fresh sub tranny and diff oils!!!!!! I would question your dealer, not much of one if you ask me....

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Read your warranty statement,,, show them the coverage and advise them you are going to take them to small claims court or better yet contact your State Attorney general they should handle it my state AG would. A business should never be allowed to screw over a customer.

Reactions: CID
DylanJones

DylanJones

Jul 7, 2021
Clermont,Fl
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I've replaced my left front seal when it started leaking mid ride about 500 miles on the odo. I questioned myself using the warranty but I didn't even bother with it. I will say what i noticed about the seal once i got the axle out. it looked like someone installed it with a flat head screw driver... bent and mangled like you can see where someone used some tool way too rough/improperly from the factory. it seems like left front diff seal leak is common but, i haven't had another seal issue since. roughly 2000 on the clock now.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Read your warranty statement,,, show them the coverage and advise them you are going to take them to small claims court or better yet contact your State Attorney general they should handle it my state AG would. A business should never be allowed to screw over a customer.
Or, you can just pay the bill and take Honda and the dealer to small claims court.

Huntndogs

Huntndogs

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2021
San Diego, Ca.
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had an appointment to get mine replaced tomorrow but cancelled and instead decided to do it myself. Speaking with the dealer they would not commit to saying it would be covered and said they would submit to Honda. I was told just over $200 if it was not covered. I have the seal and the oil here already and have a sneaky suspicion I would have been screwed over anyhow. I agree it should be covered, machine has around 200 miles. Glad I did not buy an extended warranty..Good excuse to go to Harbor Freight and buy a seal driver set too.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!