Ownership

1. 1000-3
More from Gabe Suarez;
B8d81072 ec22 414e bf28 3d56b40fd646
S
S S
RULES OF ENGAGEMENT CHECK

Pre-emptive Shooting

Just to be clear, this article is about proactively and preemptively shooting and killing a terrorist or criminal that has done nothing to threaten you directly. It is an event in which you are not involved in at all.

And a situation where a modern socialized male might be quite happy to remain hiding under the desk, or in the dark of a closet, remaining unseen, unchallenged, and unharmed.

But since I doubt such males would have the courage to even read this blog, I suspect my readers are of the other type. Look at the lead image. Remember him? he is one of the terrorists at the ground breaking event in Mumbai some years ago. The photo was taken by a photographer that later said he'd wished he'd had a firearm to kill the man with.

LET US CONTINUE.

American shooters are trained in the concept of legitimate self-defense. Use of force training and de-escalation methods are discussed and trained. Using the vaunted "Big Boy Voice" to challenge the bad guy from ready positions is promoted far and wide. And gun writers admonish the novice gunman about the concerns over legal liability, regaling them with horror stories intended not so much to frighten them into inaction, although they often do just that, but rather to create the need for the book to be bought or the liability awareness class to be attended. And for the most part, unless someone does something stupid (Zimmerman comes to mind), the muggers in the parking lots of America, and the gang members invading homes from coast to coast are defended against efficiently.

But the halcyon days of the J-frame in the side pocket and the "Courtroom Tactics" column in the gun magazine are gone. It is now 2017 and the reality is that within a month of this article being published there will inevitably be another Terrorist event in the USA. And I do not mean solely the now normal Jihadist, but the new terror threats as well coming likely from the violent fringes of the disenfranchised liberals. Liberals whose political pedigree includes the weathermen, the Black Panthers, and other groups whose philosophy feeds modern indigenous terror groups.

But whenever I write about shooting bad guys in the back of the head, or shooting them in the face when they are down as you pass them by on the way to kill their friends, some will scream in protest.

"You will go to prison".

"A jury will never understand".

"OMG, you are insane to say such things".

So here is the reality. Given sufficient information to justify it, proactive and preemptive killing is not only justified, but mandatory in order to save lives. The terrorist, by his actions, and his collective past violent history, gives you that justification the moment he begins his assault. You cannot handle the Jihadist, or the "Crazy Guy Bent On Killing Everyone In The Room", or the Race Terrorist in the middle of their killing spree in the same way you would handle the mugger in the parking lot.

Different threats call for different tactics.

The mugger in the parking lot involves de-escalation, threat management, avoiding bad neighborhoods, and all of those things you learned in the Police Academy...or in basic gun school. Posturing and voice commands, as well as a sharpened level of alertness, and all of that will likely make it so you don't even have to shoot that mugger/gang member. You see, the mugger has an expectation of tomorrow. He wants to rob you and leave to spend his loot. He wants a long thug life. His motivation is not the same as the jihadist's.

The Terrorist (regardless of his political motivations) is committing what is essentially an act of war. Attempting to handle an enemy combatant who has already decided to die in the act of killing you, like a mugger in the parking lot is foolish. And fearing that the legal system will crash upon you as a result of such aggressive tactics is also foolish. The terrorist, by his actions, gives you license to do things that would never be justified if the adversary was different. Keep these things in mind and understand that things are different today and different tactics are called for.

Stop being afraid - You may be at ground zero tomorrow.

Attachments

• S.gif
    S.gif
    271 bytes · Views: 130
  • S.gif
    S.gif
    271 bytes · Views: 129
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Suarez International:
OPTIMIZING THE TUBE FED SHOTGUN
Thursday, February 02, 2017

A). More Ammo is More Better. I like extended magazines that reach to the muzzle. I do not find that they unbalance the weapon in any way. Most quality anti-personnel shotguns come this way now. The new Aridus receiver mounted ammo carriers are a great idea and have changed my mind about "side saddles" and other on bard ammo carriers.

B). Modern furniture. There is no reason other than nostalgia to keep wooden forearms and stocks on the weapon. The new Magpul furniture is excellent and what I currently have on our training Remington 870s. There are those teaching shotgun that do not care for the Magpul line on the shotguns. Only thing I can say there is "follow the money". Magpul shotgun stocks or those wanting a pistol grip, a Mesa Stock Adapter with a Magpul CTR. I find these a better choice than the Urbino type system as you can not only change the length of pull instantly, but you can choose your pistol grip and the color of your stock.

It would be nice if there was a good folding stock for these, but I have not seen one that I would use.

C). Lights. The shotgun is predominantly a CQB weapon and so a light is a good thing to have. In years past that meant a Surefire light unit build into the fore end. But going back to the modern furniture discussion, one can add a mini-tactical light such as a Surefire X300 to the hand guard...or remove it...quite easily. And the new M-Lok system on the forend gives many more options.

D). Slings. If the weapon is to be used outdoors, a sling is important, but again...given the development of the market, I would opt for a removable two point sling. This facilitates going sling-less when the situation calls for it.

E). Sights. Again, a great deal has changed both in technology as well as our learning to use it since 2005. If I was equipping a combat shotgun today...one that I wanted to "optimize" rather than minimize, I would add a red dot system.

That red dot would be organized in a similar fashion to what is seen on modern hand guns, with the prevalence of back up iron sights (either rifle or ghost rings according to preference), etc.

F). Barrel treatments. With the advent of low recoil ammunition, I don't see a need for the various choke systems that became so popular years ago. If its something you want, then by all means add it. Manufacturers learn from the secondary market and many new barrels come from the factory shooting very nice patterns.

My suggestion is to pattern your shotgun at various distances from 5 to 50 yards in 5 yard increments and develop some knowledge about what your barrel can already do. Then go for additional barrel treatments if necessary.

Remember, we want predictable uniform patterns increasing in size, not necessarily tight and small patterns.

The shotgun can be a fine weapon and in the hands of a skilled man can do amazing things. But it functions in its special niche and not in competition with other weapons in their own niche. Making sure the fight happens in the area your weapon will have the advantage...well, that is what tactics are all about.

16403016 1189086354540432 6666163342293443591 o

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
advertisement
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow!!! I think I'm in love. I just picked up a Tac Grey G34 for 3gun. I can handle the slide work and all, but the stippling is what scares me. Beautiful work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree on the stippling.. I've been wanting to do that on my G22.Looks easy but screw it up and ya gotta buy a frame.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree on the stippling.. I've been wanting to do that on my G22.Looks easy but screw it up and ya gotta buy a frame.
Suarez does not just stipple. They take the original grip down and then add an epoxy to it and work it to there specs. You can leave the finger grooves or have them taken off. I opted to keep them.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Suarez does not just stipple. They take the original grip down and then add an epoxy to it and work it to there specs. You can leave the finger grooves or have them taken off. I opted to keep them.
I thought it looked like something had been applied to the hand grip

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
LOOK BEFORE YOU HOLSTER!
Thursday, November 17, 2016

The issue is looking at the holster on the reholstering. I know....I know...we are told its bad its wrong, ect. But why? Let me lay my case out.

1). According to our research, half of all unintended discharges resulting in shooter injury occur during the holstering process.

Sure...sometimes it is due to trigger fingers not being properly indexed, but there have been many times when it has happened due to some sort of obstruction in the holster, or misplacement of the pistol into the holster.

2). If the threat was still a threat, only a fool would be holstering his pistol. Read that again guys. Please enlighten me if there is any tactical reason to holster the pistol while facing a threat because I cannot think of any.

3). Often the police guys (I was once one) will say they have to holster to handcuff someone. That changes nothing. You do not point a gun at someone and then holster to handcuff. You hold them there, proned out, face down in the dirt, until your back up arrives and he points his gun at the bad guy. Then you holster and go handcuff. So the ability to keep eyes on target before holstering is of dubious necessity.

And, if you do decide to approach and handcuff alone, the bad guy MUST have cooperated with you to get into a tactically untennable position, proned out, facing away from you, flat on his face with his hands out and feet crossed...otherwise, the fight is still on and holstering to close is not a smart move.

So, is it a big deal if a shooter looks at his holster briefly prior to holstering his piece?
No, I don't think so.

Now we are not saying to sit there gazing at the kydexial splendor of your holster for hours as you slowly holster, but simply a quick glance to verify everything is as it should be before introducing the pistol into the holster.

I spent 15 years in LE service and I saw many many guys who had been drilled to NOT LOOK at the holster, still do so very briefly when holstering. It is the same principle we see in other actions under duress. The eyes want to see what the hands are
doing.

So are instructors being foolish to tell the students that "there is no threat in the holster"? That they should keep their eyes downrange while they holster the pistol?

In my never humble and always opinionated opinion, yes. There is nothing wrong with looking at the holster when placing the pistol back into the holster. If there was a threat, your pistol would remain in action. If there is no threat, your safety is better
served by holstering safely.

When you train with me you will be looking at the holster briefly prior to re-holstering. Why? Because it makes more sense, cost you nothing tactically, and gives immediate feedback .

Samsung Galaxy 7 Active

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!