P500 Rattle - metallic clanking

S

swilsontechno

Sep 4, 2017
Hugo
I've read all the threads on the rear differentials clunking on the Pioneer 500's and I do get a clunk/click once in a while.
2016 Pioneer 500 with 400 miles

What I'm trying to find is a rattling, clattering noise at the upper end of the RPM range (every gear). 2nd gear at 8 MPH, 3rd gear at 12-14 MPH, 4th gear at 18-22 MPH and 5th around 28 and higher. It's a horrible noise,I actually find myself shifting way too early because the noise is so bad. We have to wear ear plugs.

It's seems to be harmonic, at a certain frequency.

It sounds like the tranny is about ready to fly apart. I thought that it may have been timing chain slap (I was a Nissan/Infiniti tech for 21 years so I've heard a few noisy timing chains :) ) but the chain is okay.

I love my P500 and I've had many Honda ATV's but I tell you this thing sounds like a bucket of bolts. Very non-Honda like noises. Very unpleasant to ride and drive. Wife says she's done riding until it's quieter

I've removed all the rear plastic, rear rack, check and insulated all the exhaust shields, isolated every little plastic rattle ( I've even replaced all the push-in plastic keepers with black anodized 6mm bolts and lock nuts).

I'm hoping someone reading this can help me figure this out.

Do these things have a limited slip rear diff or is it locked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rustell
Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
Nothing worse than a toy that's no fun to ride. I don't have an answer, but I agree they could have made it quieter.
Suggestions:
Try driving it with your foot on the brake a little to see if it changes the noise. Maybe try the E-brake a little also.

I had a catalytic converter noise on my jeep once from the internals coming loose inside. Try smacking one of those plastic mallets or a rubber hammer on the exhaust system with the motor off.

On my last ride a stick was stuck up near the front fender well and I thought something serious was wrong.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My P5...makes noises. .
it's a Honda..I do the air
& Oil maintenance. ..& ride...
this Dec....3 yrs..old..
not one mechanical. ..problem

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Same here, plus a slight whine from the front differential in 4WD, but so does my Kubota tractor, think that just comes with a rock solid machine, built for what it's intended for. Hope it's just "Gears make noise". Now less noise after synthetic oil change.

Reactions: rocmar
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Try this, it helped alot with the noise. I also just saw Honda's fix for the P1k heat issue, it's all rubber. ;)

Rubber

F

Fox500

Mar 12, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I've read all the threads on the rear differentials clunking on the Pioneer 500's and I do get a clunk/click once in a while.

What I'm trying to find is a rattling, clattering noise at the upper end of the RPM range (every gear). 2nd gear at 8 MPH, 3rd gear at 12-14 MPH, 4th gear at 18-22 MPH and 5th around 28 and higher. It's a horrible noise,I actually find myself shifting way too early because the noise is so bad. We have to wear ear plugs.

It sounds like the tranny is about ready to fly apart. I thought that it may have been timing chain slap (I was a Nissan/Infiniti tech for 21 years so I've heard a few noisy timing chains :) ) but the chain is okay.

I love my P500 and I've had many Honda ATV's but I tell you this thing sounds like a bucket of bolts. Very non-Honda like noises. Very unpleasant to ride and drive. Wife says she's done riding until it's quieter

I've removed all the rear plastic, rear rack, check and insulated all the exhaust shields, isolated every little plastic rattle ( I've even replaced all the push-in plastic keepers with black anodized 6mm bolts and lock nuts).

Our 2017 P500 was doing the same thing in automatic mode. Turns out dealer did not do initial clutch adjustment.Thread on this sight shows how to do . Adjuster is right under front seat. Made a world of difference

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I was thinking it was just some rear-end gear backlash. Rear diff very noisy & pops
The prior clutch adjustment did not fix my chatter, but does shift smoother in AT mode. Glad yours is better @Fox500 .

Last edited:
J

Jabe

Sep 11, 2017
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Heres a link to a video i posted on youtube. Been to several dealers and the diagnosis was the same. The noise is coming from the square cut gears in the transmission and resonating back thru the rear end Sounds like the rear end is going to come apart. No fix. Drives me nuts everytime i ride it. The noise isnt as bad in 4 wheel drive. So i use 4 wheel drive as mutch a possible. hope this was helpful. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CCkwAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

Reactions: USMC8511 and Mudder
J

Jabe

Sep 11, 2017
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
I see the link i posted doesnt work. Search for Honda Pioneer 500 Noisy Rear on
YouTube

Reactions: Chooglin
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It doesn't go away either but it gets a lot better with use. Putting new oil in at first service helped and hoping that going to synthetic on the second service will help even more.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Metallic rattle just started after 1 yr, mainly 3-4 gear low rpm and under strain. Found thread in heat shield rattle, air box and rear end, or regular 87 gas. Very loud. Sounds like from behind and below drivers seat. Synthetic oil in rear diff, switched to 75W-140 same time did the front locker.

C

cisco1

Jul 13, 2016
ILL.

My 2016 makes noise as you described.
Took rear diff out yestiddy and found 2 slight cracks interior only, not all the way through case. Pinion and ring look good .No sharp edges , no pieces. Slight shiny in drained oil. N o accelerated wear. However, pinion to ring engagement are not the same pattern. More uniform wear on full depth of piniom as compared to minimal wear on ring.
Will call Honda . I will replace the diff ass. I am not sure if the sound I am hearing is caused by the cracking.
I would trade in for new 500 if I did not have so many acces.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I changed the differential oil at 650 miles and mine quieted down quite a bit. I just used Honda hypoid oil and not synthetic but it really helped.

Reactions: Stevea83
C

cisco1

Jul 13, 2016
ILL.
I changed the differential oil at 650 miles and mine quieted down quite a bit. I just used Honda hypoid oil and not synthetic but it really helped.

Twodog,

Do you think it will heal my cracked case?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
These are noisy little suckers, aren't they. I guess in my case, it just makes more mechanical/metallic noises than I expected. I swear I'm getting loud valve noise at higher rpms, and I have not had the valves adjusted yet, so when I hit 500 miles I'll have those checked. During the first 50 miles or so I did not get that valve noise, and the engine sounded happy at 35mph in 5th gear. But now it sounds unhappy at 35mph in 5th gear, like something in the valve train is going to break. I hope that goes away with adjustment. My rear diff still makes TONS of noise, even after royal purple synthetic. I guess it's just the nature of the beast. On the positive side, nothing has broken and it has not let me down despite some of the rough stuff I've put it through.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
These are noisy little suckers, aren't they. I guess in my case, it just makes more mechanical/metallic noises than I expected. I swear I'm getting loud valve noise at higher rpms, and I have not had the valves adjusted yet, so when I hit 500 miles I'll have those checked. During the first 50 miles or so I did not get that valve noise, and the engine sounded happy at 35mph in 5th gear. But now it sounds unhappy at 35mph in 5th gear, like something in the valve train is going to break. I hope that goes away with adjustment. My rear diff still makes TONS of noise, even after royal purple synthetic. I guess it's just the nature of the beast. On the positive side, nothing has broken and it has not let me down despite some of the rough stuff I've put it through.

There's a product out there that helps a lot with that noise...:D

Reactions: SouthwestORV
advertisement