Rear diff very noisy & pops

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
Just picked our Pioneer 500 up Saturdy. About 2 hours into our first ride the rear diff became very noisy and made popping sounds on deceleration. Let it set overnite-checked fluid level (ok) went for a ride. Once the gear box warmed up noise & popping returned.
Anyone else had this problem?
What a cool machine-sadly his problem appeared.

Reactions: mountaindawg
BDI01

BDI01

Feb 24, 2015
Mine made a popping noise after a long ride, but it was only when I accelerated and only lasted for a few feet. I stopped, got out and walked behind it while my wife drove. The sound was coming from the area of rear brake disk, but I could never pin it down. It has not done it since, of course I have not been on a 3 hour ride since then either.

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
We have not ridden that long since. However, all interested & local dealer assures me it will quiet with use! So here we go-let the fun begin!,,,,

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I saw one post where a guy said his front diff noise was coming from a bolt under the diff. It was the wrong size. Posted a link might be the problem maybe not. Just posting for just in case..

Last edited:
M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks all! After your responses and reading this forum and a conversation with the Dealer-I am good to go, the Honda quality will carry us through........ride on

M

mountaindawg

Aug 16, 2015
Just picked our Pioneer 500 up Saturdy. About 2 hours into our first ride the rear diff became very noisy and made popping sounds on deceleration. Let it set overnite-checked fluid level (ok) went for a ride. Once the gear box warmed up noise & popping returned.
Anyone else had this problem?
What a cool machine-sadly his problem appeared.
I just bought a used P500, it makes the rear end noise when you let off, when you hold steady on level terrain, this isn't normal, even with straight cut gears it shouldn't make that much noise, I've checked the oil level and it's OK, everyone I've talked to has complained about this noise and so far everybody that has a P500 that I know owns this noise, I have checked the gear backlash and it seems normal, anyway miles are not going to fix the noise problem, mine has 2,200 miles and the noise is getting louder, I am waiting to hear from a service manager and see what he says, I like the P500 but this will be a burr under their saddle, bet next year it will be addressed.

Reactions: Mdcer
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just asking, but are you sure it isn't the rubber CV boot(s) making the popping noise? I read on another post here that's what the member narrowed it down to on his.

M

mountaindawg

Aug 16, 2015
Just asking, but are you sure it isn't the rubber CV boot(s) making the popping noise? I read on another post here that's what the member narrowed it down to on his.
I used a broom stick held to the rear end while it was jacked up, my wife ran it up to 20mph in 5th gear and the noise was in the rear end , I am going to continue to drive it but I want to remove the rear caliper and run it without the rear brakes and see if this makes a difference. I plan on draining the rear end and replace with Amsoil 80-90. I'll keep working on it until I can figure something out.

M

mountaindawg

Aug 16, 2015
I used a broom stick held to the rear end while it was jacked up, my wife ran it up to 20mph in 5th gear and the noise was in the rear end , I am going to continue to drive it but I want to remove the rear caliper and run it without the rear brakes and see if this makes a difference. I plan on draining the rear end and replace with Amsoil 80-90. I'll keep working on it until I can figure something out.
I just finished checking out the rear diff, the noise seems to come from the rear of the pinion shaft, I checked the parts fish and it shows a roller cage bearing, I'm betting this is the problem, with the way they angled the pinion shaft in relationship to the ring gear it looks like the bearing may be under too much stress for its size, just guessing

advertisement
C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
This can't be real... only UTV's that are powered with a rubber band have problems, never team red.

Reactions: mountaindawg
M

mountaindawg

Aug 16, 2015
This can't be real... only UTV's that are powered with a rubber band have problems, never team red.
It is real, I'm a Honda guy and I've owned mini-trail 70, several trail 90's, Honda generators, 2 Rubicons, and now a very disappointing Pioneer 500, I called customer service and they said it's the first they have heard of this, REALLY? I'm almost sure that it's the cage bearing on the pinion shaft as that's where the noise is loudest, just too many complaints about rear end noise, look at the weird angle the pinion shaft is positioned then look at the ring gear, just doesn't look right to me, maybe I'm too old school, anyway I'll get to the problem and post what I find but it will have to wait until I'm done hunting.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I just bought a used P500, it makes the rear end noise when you let off, when you hold steady on level terrain, this isn't normal, even with straight cut gears it shouldn't make that much noise, I've checked the oil level and it's OK, everyone I've talked to has complained about this noise and so far everybody that has a P500 that I know owns this noise, I have checked the gear backlash and it seems normal, anyway miles are not going to fix the noise problem, mine has 2,200 miles and the noise is getting louder, I am waiting to hear from a service manager and see what he says, I like the P500 but this will be a burr under their saddle, bet next year it will be addressed.

Did you know the previous owner? Alot could have happened in 2200 miles, could have gotten water/grit/etc in there with a busted seal, caused a bearing to fail... Mine makes some gear noise too like most of them but just assumed thats the way they are as I havent heard of a failure yet...time will tell.

M

mountaindawg

Aug 16, 2015
Did you know the previous owner? Alot could have happened in 2200 miles, could have gotten water/grit/etc in there with a busted seal, caused a bearing to fail... Mine makes some gear noise too like most of them but just assumed thats the way they are as I havent heard of a failure yet...time will tell.
Yes I know the previous owner, he and I are good friends, he takes care of his things, mostly drove this around town, came to see me in Colorado this year and sold me the Pioneer because he wanted the full size, I checked the diff oil, it is clean, don't know what to think, as you say time will tell

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneers have straight cut gears they are loud by nature but stronger than the alternatives. When you let off they growl. My 700 got quieter using full synth 80-140w gear oil.

Reactions: jak9922
Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
My 500 makes these noises but not as bad as that Rzr I traded ! I'm just gonna keep it serviced and ride it ! Lol love the P500

Reactions: SBuckJ and p500fan
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
its prob the same noise every other pioneer on the planet has I was also worried about that when I first get her but its just the play in the gearing nothing to worry about

A

Ahanson

Dec 31, 2015
My neighbor and I both bought 15 500's his rear end made noise out of the box Honda will warranty but no parts till February-16. I smell a problem with the locker or ring and pinion

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My neighbor and I both bought 15 500's his rear end made noise out of the box Honda will warranty but no parts till February-16. I smell a problem with the locker or ring and pinion

@Ahanson Welcome to the Club! Multiple people have commented on noises from the Rear diff or CV boots etc. all with the popping noise you describe. I have not noticed any popping noise from my '15 P500 yet, and I have strained it pretty good on some long steep hills at low enough speed I thought I would have heard something.

On your neighbors P500 being warranty repaired - what was the dealer diagnosed issue causing the noise?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!