P500 front and rear gear ratio

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am working on another project and notices the 500 and520 have different gear ratios front and back. front diff 21x53. the rear has 13x53. Same tires diameter front and back. Always thought this was a bad idea unless spinning all the time. Anybody know why this is not a problem in the 500 and 520

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think those numbers are right, far too much difference. It's common practice to gear F/R slightly differently - engineering wants the front pulling the rear, not the rear pushing the front. If F/R are the same, harmonics become an issue IIRC.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
every online parts house has list and Honda shop verified it. in this situation rear would be spinning slower more torque but front would be spinning faster. I always thought without different tire size this was not a good thing . 700 are exactly the same f/r

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I believe one of those numbers were confirmed as a typo (that keeps getting repeated) by a member here who did a tork locker install. I just don't remember which one it was.

I noticed this when the 500 first landed. As said, two different ratios don't work well with the same size tires.

Reactions: CID
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
That is what I was thinking but I have been to 3 Honda dealerships and the parts department has the same info. I always thought it was a bad idea with the same size tires. By the way sorry for my ignorance what is JWB short for. Anyway, would be nice if to find out for sure.

Reactions: DG Rider
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is what I was thinking but I have been to 3 Honda dealerships and the parts department has the same info. I always thought it was a bad idea with the same size tires. By the way sorry for my ignorance what is JWB short for. Anyway, would be nice if to find out for sure.
JWB is a member here. If you proceed a member's name with @ it will send them an alert letting them know to check in. Same thing happens when you quote someone, an alert is sent to notify (upper right corner). @CID

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes...all the parts listings show the differing ratios, but this is probably a case of simply copying parts #'s from year to year and nobody catches it. That's all they have to go by unless they physically have one apart in front of them.

The person I mentioned...whoever it is, was aware of this, since it's been discussed before, and confirmed the numbers were wrong. I just don't remember which ratio it was.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The T case might have a different ratio for one of the outputs. The final gearing front and rear should be a very close match.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It might have been here...

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
JWB is a member here. If you proceed a member's name with @ it will send them an alert letting them know to check in. Same thing happens when you quote someone, an alert is sent to notify (upper right corner). @CID
As the great Carnack ( spelling) would say " I did not know that" Thanks

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
The T case might have a different ratio for one of the outputs. The final gearing front and rear should be a very close match.
you would think so wouldn't you? Have wondered if it was internal on the transmission side

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The front and rear are both 13 teeth on the pinion and 53 teeth on the ring gear.
The catalog has a typo (that impacts no one except people reading internet forum posts).

The 'transfer case' as it were is just a straight shaft on ATV/SxS engines.
The 4WD clutching is done at the front differential case - it's just a splined dog clutch.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
You would think Honda would update their catalog after all this time. Had 3 different Honda parts people tell me it 21 on the front.. Now I know. Wouldn't make much sense to try to engineer to different output from transfer when you can make diffs same. Didn't make sense to me and wanted to verify

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!