P500 Front Axle Ratcheting

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
When I use heavy throttle with the steering fully turned to the right I get a ratcheting from the front of my 2018 P500. It happens when in 2 or 4 wheel drive, I suspect one of the front CV axles. Is there any way to determine which one? What do I look for on a removed axle to determine if it is good or bad? How hard is it to pull the axle from the differential?

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
hey, post some pics of machine, you may be asking for a friend

need miles, machine used hard, etc.....

you can grab axles and see if one feels sloppy

may I suggest jacking it up and checking for loose wheel bearings first

pulling the axle is not bad, just turning wrenches and nothing complicated, use youtube for training first

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Has 2000 miles, moderate use, however it was drowned several years ago with, 500 miles, and sat in the water for about 30 minutes while wrenching out. I have been worried about water infiltration into the CV boots so I will probably pull all the axles and check how the grease looks. I just got back from 6 days/350 miles of riding in Colorado and the steering felt tight, will check the wheel bearings also, good advise, thanks.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
What is the best way to remove the boot clamps from the axle CV joint? The wheel bearings and axles feel fine, but I want to clean out the old grease and regrease while I have the axles off. The boots are in good shape so I would like to reuse them.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now I am back to what is the noise when turning under heavy acceleration!
Unfortunately its hard to diagnose a noise when everything is silent.
Post up a video or the noise then u might get an answer much quicker

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Wheel bearings feel good and axle CV joints feel good and the grease is good ... not contaminated. Now I am back to what is the noise when turning under heavy acceleration!
How big are your tires and what width are you at? Turning under heavy acceleration would compress one side. I had 26x11's on the front with 1" spacers and bent my rock slider, going slow, in reverse with the plow on. Take a look for rub maybe?

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
27 X 9 on the front, no sign of rubbing.

Is the factory grease a yellow color? I was expecting a gray or dark blue. I plan on pumping a bit more grease into the joint but want to use the same type of grease.

Reactions: Mudder
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
don't complicate it - any descent grade moly based grease is fine - most auto part stores have it for car cv joints

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I feel pretty stupid, it was tire rubbing when suspension compressed on tight turns with no wheel spacers. I put my spacers back on and problem solved. The only reason I had the spacers off was because I was riding 50 inch trail. At least I now know my brakes are still like new and the CV joints are well greased!

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well, I feel pretty stupid, it was tire rubbing when suspension compressed on tight turns with no wheel spacers. I put my spacers back on and problem solved. The only reason I had the spacers off was because I was riding 50 inch trail. At least I now know my brakes are still like new and the CV joints are well greased!
always more to the story......generally a lot of problems are the last thing u touch

glad u got it fixed

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520

They do make a bit of a racket, don't they? Glad there is nothing wrong, and thank you for the follow up.

That Keebler is a good elf! ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!