Creaking noise from front end

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Need some help on a remedy. 2015 Honda p500 creaking sound coming from front end. Noise when you turn right or left and flex the machine. I jacked up the machine and no sound when turning right / left with wheels off the ground. I also tested movement in the wheel and none. Seems like it’s coming from the steering boot. Thoughts? Could I slide a needle oiler and shoot some grease in there? Let me figure out how to link a video and I’ll show or allow you to listen.

Creaking wheels on ground

No creaking where off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JenElio
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Either the crapy stock shocks and or your control arm bushings.
Remove the shock and try it.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Need some help on a remedy. 2015 Honda p500 creaking sound coming from front end. Noise when you turn right or left and flex the machine. I jacked up the machine and no sound when turning right / left with wheels off the ground. I also tested movement in the wheel and none. Seems like it’s coming from the steering boot. Thoughts? Could I slide a needle oiler and shoot some grease in there? Let me figure out how to link a video and I’ll show or allow you to listen.

Creaking wheels on ground

No creaking where off

Shocks/springs, mine do it outta the blue also. Stock shocks/springs suck

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Shocks will do that where the spring meets the bushing on top. Sprays some lube on them and arm bushing.

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
I sprayed it down in all bushing points still creaking. Now thinking it could be a ball joint. Anyone have tips on how to pin point the source. I think I narrowed it to the rack joint or ball joints. Going to spray the whole shock as well to see if that helps. Trying to get by this weekend - last weekend of rifle then I’ll either tear it down or out in a shop to fix.

Reactions: JenElio
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I sprayed it down in all bushing points still creaking. Now thinking it could be a ball joint. Anyone have tips on how to pin point the source. I think I narrowed it to the rack joint or ball joints. Going to spray the whole shock as well to see if that helps. Trying to get by this weekend - last weekend of rifle then I’ll either tear it down or out in a shop to fix.

If it’s in the front, then it could be a ball joint or a tie rod in. Best way to narrow that down is when you jack up the whole front end with the tires off the ground and loose you can wiggle the wheel side to side like you’re turning the wheel that will move the ball joints as well as the tie rod ends to let you know if those are drying out or have an issue. You can also move the wheel, Tire back and forth from top to bottom to see if there’s any play in that will tell you that you have a bad ball joint. But if everything is tight and you still have the squeaks in those areas I’ll guarantee you when you go through all the trouble to replace them it will be back soon. Spraying WD-40 in a ball joint for a tie rod in Will not solve your issue

Reactions: Backwoods
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Buy a cheap stethoscope and hit the points while turning or squatting the machine. It's probably the ball joint.

My last 2 pioneers (which includes a 500) had one start creaking. Typically, big movements like bumps wouldn't bring it out, but turning the wheel, esp slightly at a standstill, or moving around in the machine while stopped would get it pretty good. Drives you nuts!
I was able to carefully get a grease needle under the boots and pump them full of grease and it went away after a few miles.

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
@DG Rider when you say carefully greased with a grease needle - did you slip the needle under the boot or pierce the boot? I have everything you mentioned on order and plan to get to the bottom of it this weekend. Thanks for feedback on your experience.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@DG Rider when you say carefully greased with a grease needle - did you slip the needle under the boot or pierce the boot? I have everything you mentioned on order and plan to get to the bottom of it this weekend. Thanks for feedback on your experience.

I was able to bend the needle a bit, lift the bottom of the boot with a small screw driver, and get it in that way. If you had to pierce the boot...well, you figure the joint is dry and wearing anyway, so its probably no harm.
Be advised that it probably won't stop it until you put some miles on and the grease gets good and worked in.

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Reporting back. I was able to get the needle grease fitting in there. I’m pretty sure the boot has a small tear. After some miles the noise went away as others said it would.

Plans are to have it looked at in a few
Months trying ti close out hunting season then off to the shop to have a mechanic look over the entire front end.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reporting back. I was able to get the needle grease fitting in there. I’m pretty sure the boot has a small tear. After some miles the noise went away as others said it would.

Plans are to have it looked at in a few
Months trying ti close out hunting season then off to the shop to have a mechanic look over the entire front end.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

I would worry about it until it starts getting some slop...

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Hahahaha that’s pretty funny right there

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!