P500 Rattle - metallic clanking

Saunch

Saunch

Sep 8, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I've read all the threads on the rear differentials clunking on the Pioneer 500's and I do get a clunk/click once in a while.
2016 Pioneer 500 with 400 miles

What I'm trying to find is a rattling, clattering noise at the upper end of the RPM range (every gear). 2nd gear at 8 MPH, 3rd gear at 12-14 MPH, 4th gear at 18-22 MPH and 5th around 28 and higher. It's a horrible noise,I actually find myself shifting way too early because the noise is so bad. We have to wear ear plugs.

It's seems to be harmonic, at a certain frequency.

It sounds like the tranny is about ready to fly apart. I thought that it may have been timing chain slap (I was a Nissan/Infiniti tech for 21 years so I've heard a few noisy timing chains :) ) but the chain is okay.

I love my P500 and I've had many Honda ATV's but I tell you this thing sounds like a bucket of bolts. Very non-Honda like noises. Very unpleasant to ride and drive. Wife says she's done riding until it's quieter

I've removed all the rear plastic, rear rack, check and insulated all the exhaust shields, isolated every little plastic rattle ( I've even replaced all the push-in plastic keepers with black anodized 6mm bolts and lock nuts).

I'm hoping someone reading this can help me figure this out.

Do these things have a limited slip rear diff or is it locked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Steve - i know we exchanged on this issue as I have the same annoying sound. Wondering if you ever figured out a solution (besides selling the machine)? Cheers

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Proven P500 noise reductions include synthetic diff oil and a trigger shield. Other than that, its an entry level utility machine built for durability. Lastly, a good sound system helps.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe Honda designed the P500 planning on the riders wearing helmets. Wearing a helmet drastically mitigated the horrible mechanical noises for me on the P500. Add a Trigger shield, synthetic gear lube, rear window...and that's about as good as you're going to get. I'm curious if the new P520 is improved in this regard.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe Honda designed the P500 planning on the riders wearing helmets. Wearing a helmet drastically mitigated the horrible mechanical noises for me on the P500. Add a Trigger shield, synthetic gear lube, rear window...and that's about as good as you're going to get. I'm curious if the new P520 is improved in this regard.
Not exactly going out on a limb here when I say...
No, I'm certain they didn't.

Edit--> to be clear, I'm certain they didn't improve it in the drive line noise department.

Last edited:
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Steve - i know we exchanged on this issue as I have the same annoying sound. Wondering if you ever figured out a solution (besides selling the machine)? Cheers
I had a similar noise. At the upper end of the rpm range it would rattle and sound like the engine was about to come apart. It would start at 35 mph . On my machine it was the heat shield mounted to the frame over the tail pipe and below the tail light. I put some plastic strips between the heat shield and the frame and it fixed the problem.

Saunch

Saunch

Sep 8, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I had a similar noise. At the upper end of the rpm range it would rattle and sound like the engine was about to come apart. It would start at 35 mph . On my machine it was the heat shield mounted to the frame over the tail pipe and below the tail light. I put some plastic strips between the heat shield and the frame and it fixed the problem.
Thanks I’ll check that on mine and shim to make sure. It’s annoying and my buddy and I bought the 2020’s at the same time and his doesn’t do it. Almost sound like ignition ping but only when lightly on gas

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks I’ll check that on mine and shim to make sure. It’s annoying and my buddy and I bought the 2020’s at the same time and his doesn’t do it. Almost sound like ignition ping but only when lightly on gas
My 500 would always ping lightly under light throttle. The warmer, the more pronounced.

Saunch

Saunch

Sep 8, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
DG Rider - did you ever try and track down the cause? Looks like you got rid of it for a 700

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
DG Rider - did you ever try and track down the cause? Looks like you got rid of it for a 700
EPA leanness and s***ty AZ fairy piss being sold as gas.

Look in the owners manual and it will tell you "pinging at light throttle under load is no cause for concern". Or something to that effect. Mine would do it until I got heavy on the gas and it would stop. Premium didn't help. Honestly, probably would need a tuner to get rid of it.

Saunch

Saunch

Sep 8, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
EPA leanness and s***ty AZ fairy piss being sold as gas.

Look in the owners manual and it will tell you "pinging at light throttle under load is no cause for concern". Or something to that effect. Mine would do it until I got heavy on the gas and it would stop. Premium didn't help. Honestly, probably would need a tuner to get rid of it.

ya i read that - stupid that it doesn't do it on all machines. How do you like the 700 from the 500?

Reactions: Mudder and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
ya i read that - stupid that it doesn't do it on all machines. How do you like the 700 from the 500?
I'd had a 700 before. I enjoyed my 500, but definitely like the 700 better. If they could somehow get actual ride quality from it and add a locker, I'd certainly consider a 500 again.

Actually, what would be cool is to see something like an XC version of the 520. Maybe 54 to 56 inches wide with some more travel and a locker.

B

Boyd050

Feb 14, 2021
BC.
Ownership

1. 500
Same issue with mine contacted honda,square cut gears , told them they should fire that engineer ,honda makes an amazing product but failed in this rattle... no reason a utv should be noisy with today's technology .. but I still love it, its very dependable!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Same issue with mine contacted honda,square cut gears , told them they should fire that engineer ,honda makes an amazing product but failed in this rattle... no reason a utv should be noisy with today's technology .. but I still love it, its very dependable!
The person who designed/OKed the rear end in the 500/700 should have committed suicide long ago.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
That's part of the reason it's reliable is square cut gears, they are way stronger than bevel gears. I'll take noise with longevity, reliability over beveled gears less longevity and less reliability everything. Call honda back tell them it's all good.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's part of the reason it's reliable is square cut gears, they are way stronger than bevel gears. I'll take noise with longevity, reliability over beveled gears less longevity and less reliability everything. Call honda back tell them it's all good.
It has bevel gears. Strength and reliability have nothing to do with it. Low cost of manufacture and ease of set up do.

Reactions: Fischer
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It has bevel gears. Strength and reliability have nothing to do with it. Low cost of manufacture and ease of set up do.
I should clarify myself by saying it has straight cut bevel gears, as I guess you can have helical and hypoid "bevel gears" as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!