P1000 RC 50in Light Bar Issues

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do any of you have any experience with Rough Country 50in Light bars? I just installed one tonight on my buggy and I am having some issues. See the attached pictures below. I have several lights that are not quite as bright as the rest when it comes on. After riding a bid, then they come on/go back dim again. The when the buggy was running with the light on, the amps dropped on my second battery to .8 and bounced around then back to 13 amps. I do have a dual battery set up and all accessories are wired to a blue seas fuse block(also wired to a contra V switch). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG 0138 002 IMG 0139 002

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea. It actually came with a harness and relay, but I didn't use it because it is 7 miles long!! The strange thing is it only pulled the battery down twice. The rest of the time it seems to be fine except for the lights in the middle being dim.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea. It actually came with a harness and relay, but I didn't use it because it is 7 miles long!! The strange thing is it only pulled the battery down twice. The rest of the time it seems to be fine except for the lights in the middle being dim.
Definitely install the relay on it first. If it still is the same I think you have a bad light bar.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple more things you can do to test the wiring and the light if you have a voltmeter. You've already mounted the light, but when you receive LEDs, it's a good idea to connect them directly to a fully charged battery (or one that measures at least 12.6 volts). Then all the LEDs should be illuminated brightly as expected. On your installation, if possible, measure the voltage at or near the light. You will likely find it low if you didn't use adequate sized wiring. 12 ga wire would be good, or you routed all the current through the panel switch (no doubt with smaller wire size going to the switch - definitely sub-optimal).

A big light bar will typically draw a fair amount of current. My 54" Nilight draws about 16.5 amps (not the roughly 24 amps that doing the math with their claimed 312 watts would suggest, but still bright). As others already posted, you don't want to run that current through a rocker switch, even though most claim 20 amp rating, that's really pushing it - 10 amps and I'd be using a relay. Use the rocker switch to provide power to a relay coil, then the relay contacts will switch power to the light bar.

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hook your light straight to power if it works fine your under powered OR under grounded some forget about the ground.I had a big light they suck up the juice.I ran into this with a different bike not the honda .The light the plow the heater the bike not enough charging capacity.

advertisement
T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Morning folks!

Alright here's the update. I rewired the light bar using the harness that it came with it(including relay) and the same thing happened, well kind of! This time, when I turned the light on without the machine running it worked fine, but when the isolator kicked on the same section lights went dim again! So it's looks like I have a bad light. I cant think of any other thing it could be at this point(until you all give me some ideas) :).

So I called up RC yesterday and I explained the issue to them and ask if they had seen any issues like this of late. While I was explaining it to them, I could hear the guy typing the whole time. Once I was done he was like no I haven't seen any issue like this, but your replacement will ship out next week! I'm like well that's great, what do I need to do return this one? He was like nope, just keep it and we are sending you a new one! We are sorry for the issues you had with your purchase. You don't see customer service this much any more!

Let me know what you all think!

As always, thanks for your help!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Morning folks!

Alright here's the update. I rewired the light bar using the harness that it came with it(including relay) and the same thing happened, well kind of! This time, when I turned the light on without the machine running it worked fine, but when the isolator kicked on the same section lights went dim again! So it's looks like I have a bad light. I cant think of any other thing it could be at this point(until you all give me some ideas) :).

So I called up RC yesterday and I explained the issue to them and ask if they had seen any issues like this of late. While I was explaining it to them, I could hear the guy typing the whole time. Once I was done he was like no I haven't seen any issue like this, but your replacement will ship out next week! I'm like well that's great, what do I need to do return this one? He was like nope, just keep it and we are sending you a new one! We are sorry for the issues you had with your purchase. You don't see customer service this much any more!

That's great! I use there stuff as well. Good CS.
back to your light tho. Im glad u installed the relay. U can cut and splice that harness to make it shorter you know, wont hurt it. either way, you said without the engine running it was fine? Then when the ISO kicked on it dimmed.
so to be clear, you have it wired completely to the second battery correct? If so, with the light connected and disconnected to the second battery what is your output voltage from that battery DC when the ISO kicks in? sounds like now u have either a second Battery issue or an ISO issue. Your light should work fine hooked up there if its fine before the ISO kicks in.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you done the math on your total amp draw? I've been running the 4 Crees on my Audioformz roof, a 15" bumper LED, and a pair of LED mirrors (in addition to my stereo) off my second battery with no problems.

I went a bit over the top with a pair of 6" light cannons added on, and they're drawing too much and causing my radio to cut out. 😫

I really like those blasters, and may still try to figure out how to make them work...or maybe downsize to draw less.

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's great! I use there stuff as well. Good CS.
back to your light tho. Im glad u installed the relay. U can cut and splice that harness to make it shorter you know, wont hurt it. either way, you said without the engine running it was fine? Then when the ISO kicked on it dimmed.
so to be clear, you have it wired completely to the second battery correct? If so, with the light connected and disconnected to the second battery what is your output voltage from that battery DC when the ISO kicks in? sounds like now u have either a second Battery issue or an ISO issue. Your light should work fine hooked up there if its fine before the ISO kicks in.

Yea, I cut down the harness to make it more manageable! Yea to start with it worked fine the first time I turned it on. But since, it just stays dimmer and when the isolator kicks on in gets even dimmer. Yes I have it wired thru a fuse block to the second battery. The second battery is running around 13.3 when the light is on and motor is not running. When the motor is running(isolator on) it is up to around 13.6. I have had no problems with the 2nd battery or the isolator before this. 🙄

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Morning folks!

They did the same thing with a couple of 4" pods I bought from them. Had a short where the wire entered the light. Sent me new ones and when I asked about sending the old ones back he said " they don't work right so we don't want them either". Lol, good people.

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you done the math on your total amp draw? I've been running the 4 Crees on my Audioformz roof, a 15" bumper LED, and a pair of LED mirrors (in addition to my stereo) off my second battery with no problems.

I went a bit over the top with a pair of 6" light cannons added on, and they're drawing too much and causing my radio to cut out. 😫

I really like those blasters, and may still try to figure out how to make them work...or maybe downsize to draw less.
I have not done the math at this point. I'm running lighted mirrors, radio, CB, pods, light bar, under seat fan and Honda store back up light kit and add a light kit (12 bar). Have never ran all of them at one time, to see if tis going to create any issues(I just finished everything today)! We will see how it goes!

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wanted to follow up on this and let you all know that I got my new light bar in today. Hooked it up and it works perfectly! Looks like I just had a bad light! Thanks for your help.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not done the math at this point. I'm running lighted mirrors, radio, CB, pods, light bar, under seat fan and Honda store back up light kit and add a light kit (12 bar). Have never ran all of them at one time, to see if tis going to create any issues(I just finished I
If you haven't installed one, I suggest a second battery. :c)

A heads up, you can't "do the math" to arrive at your total current draw using the advertised wattage figures for LED lights on places like Amazon. It's almost like an advertising bidding war, with each mfg/seller claiming more watts than the other guy - as if wattage translated directly to light output.

My 54" NiLight light bar on-line description stated 312 watts! (The formula is Current = Watts / Voltage), at 13 volts the light draws a bit less than 16.5 amps which comes to 214 watts. Thus my advice is to measure actual current draw. Note most DVOM's (digital volt/ohm meters) will only measure to 10 amps through the leads, so a clamp-on meter is good to have when measuring higher current.

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you haven't installed one, I suggest a second battery. :c)

A heads up, you can't "do the math" to arrive at your total current draw using the advertised wattage figures for LED lights on places like Amazon. It's almost like an advertising bidding war, with each mfg/seller claiming more watts than the other guy - as if wattage translated directly to light output.

My 54" NiLight light bar on-line description stated 312 watts! (The formula is Current = Watts / Voltage), at 13 volts the light draws a bit less than 16.5 amps which comes to 214 watts. Thus my advice is to measure actual current draw. Note most DVOM's (digital volt/ohm meters) will only measure to 10 amps through the leads, so a clamp-on meter is good to have when measuring higher current.

Agreed!!

I do have a dual battery set up. Thanks everyone!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!