Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What, from first hand experience is a realistic age range for 50 and 90 cc kids atvs

I have 6yr old twins and a 3yr old. I wanted to get the twins a 90cc for Xmas but I’m leaning towards a 50cc so my youngest can drive.

Can only get 1.

Don’t want a 50 if my girls are gonna grow out of it in a year

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
When it comes to age limits, it depends on size and abilities of the child. They need to be able to reach the controls and have around two to three inches of gap at the seat when standing on the pegs. That said, my seven year old can drive the 125 pretty good and should last a few years. It's really up to your judgement.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My son is pretty good for his age (IMO), but its more of a concern about size and fit. I dont mind doing a 50 (or 70) for all of them as long as the girls wont grow out of it in a year. Im thinking the 90 would be too difficult with the controls. He tried the neighbors 110 and was able to drive it but tough (see video below). even my 6 year olds didnt like the reach for the throttle.

Reactions: elkguide and sharp
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My son is pretty good for his age (IMO), but its more of a concern about size and fit. I dont mind doing a 50 (or 70) for all of them as long as the girls wont grow out of it in a year. Im thinking the 90 would be too difficult with the controls. He tried the neighbors 110 and was able to drive it but tough (see video below). even my 6 year olds didnt like the reach for the throttle.

You got a little dare devil! :) :)

Reactions: Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You got a little dare devil! :) :)

yea, he loves riding. rides that thing almost every day. Which is why i would like to get something gas powered he can ride as well as my 6 yr olds. Im ok if the atv only last my twins a few years, because he should be able to keep riding it for 4 more years id think if i got a 50cc.

im also curious about the 70cc canam and Kymco, how they compare in size.

Reactions: R-Lamm
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
FWIW, I'd get the right size for safety reasons and comfort for the kiddo, upgrade when ready. Around here, those youth ATV's retain their value pretty good. At least the name brand ones, not the Chinese junk!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We just recently got my six-year-old a bike. We still need to get him a real helmet and boots before he can start playing around more. Hes a small kid at six years old but probably could have rode one a year ago. He has had it 200cc HiSun buggy since he was four.

We let him play in the soft freshly tilled dirt in the garden behind my fathers house a few days ago. He had a blast did this for about an hour.

This little buggy is a two seater and possibly something you should look into. It can be governed and we just relocated the seat a little closer. Again, he has been riding this for two years since he was four years old.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We just recently got my six-year-old a bike. We still need to get him a real helmet and boots before he can start playing around more. Hes a small kid at six years old but probably could have rode one a year ago. He has had it 200cc HiSun buggy since he was four.

We let him play in the soft freshly tilled dirt in the garden behind my fathers house a few days ago. He had a blast did this for about an hour.

This little buggy is a two seater and possibly something you should look into. It can be governed and we just relocated the seat a little closer. Again, he has been riding this for two years since he was four years old.

My twins have a Trailmaster Mini XRX go cart- i need to work on the speed for it now that they have gotten better with it. My son still cant reach the pedals yet with it. IM heavily leaning towards the 50cc ATV (Yamaha or Polaris) as i think it would be something they could all use and my son can grow into for a while.

In the video starting at 1:29 is the kids riding around

IMG 0134
IMG 0135

Reactions: sharp and swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Dragon you seem like a hell of a fun Dad.:)
A thumbs up to dads getting the kids into moto sports. It's not easy and it takes a lot of patience,wrenching and cash.
I agree with muddwing on that keep with their right size and I don't believe in pushing young ones too hard or go to big to save a buck.
The kid will show you what he or she is capable of.
Your a good Dad
You will make the best decision based on what you know.And keep the good work up Dad;)

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My son started driving power wheels when he turned 2. By 2.5 we had a 18v power wheels Jeep with RC car motors and a top speed around 12mph. At that point I got him a 50cc ATV and he's been riding it ever since. I think the big thing is starting small and building confidence with slow speed. My son is 3.5 years old now and only 32lbs and just about 3 ft tall. I'm happy with him riding around the yard on the 50 because he can shift gears and he can use the brakes.

Screenshot 20171204 121833

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks all.

My is anyone running a Chinese ATV, i swore id never get one, my nieghbor has one and it has not bottom end power. but im thinking with a few chain ring replacements it would get much better.

the ONLY reason it crossed my mind is I can get a chinese one and lose $300-$400 in value when i try to sell it. where as a 50cc from a name brand i could lose $1000. and since this will be a starter one.... hmm.. anyone have first hand lesson on that?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all.

My is anyone running a Chinese ATV, i swore id never get one, my nieghbor has one and it has not bottom end power. but im thinking with a few chain ring replacements it would get much better.

the ONLY reason it crossed my mind is I can get a chinese one and lose $300-$400 in value when i try to sell it. where as a 50cc from a name brand i could lose $1000. and since this will be a starter one.... hmm.. anyone have first hand lesson on that?

I've had 6 50-90 cc machines in the last 2 years. The little red one I posted above is a Kazuma Redcat 50. It was a $125 on Craigslist and it's just a worn out machine. It starts Everytime, it does wheelies with Dad on it and it's been beat on but it was dirt cheap and the parts are too. I've also has a Yamaha 50 Raptor (paid $200 sold for $400) and it was super slow (13-15mph) but put together a lot better. I had a Can-am DS50 (paid $150 sold for $650) that was a 2 stroke and super fast... Fun for dad but not going to let the little guy ride that for a while. The others were cheap Chinese and despite holding their value around $200-300 they just feel cheap and they can't be repaired without going over the value of the machine

Reactions: Dragon21
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My son started driving power wheels when he turned 2. By 2.5 we had a 18v power wheels Jeep with RC car motors and a top speed around 12mph. At that point I got him a 50cc ATV and he's been riding it ever since. I think the big thing is starting small and building confidence with slow speed. My son is 3.5 years old now and only 32lbs and just about 3 ft tall. I'm happy with him riding around the yard on the 50 because he can shift gears and he can use the brakes.

View attachment 59346

I just picked up a PowerWheels for my daughter she’s not quite 2.5, I’ll probably look into mods for speed over the next year and maybe look at a 50cc or a gocart for her next Christmas.

@kodiakkalem you’ve got a couple ATVs for your boys right?

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just picked up a PowerWheels for my daughter she’s not quite 2.5, I’ll probably look into mods for speed over the next year and maybe look at a 50cc or a gocart for her next Christmas.

I picked up the Razor dirt quad for my son at about that age and he loves it. Loves the rubber tires as well. might be something to consider

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The power wheels are fun. We have had 4 Jeeps and 2 tractors and a Gator over the last year and a half. I typically find them on the side of the road for free and fix them and give them away.

This is 18v Milwaukee powered with RC car motors
Screenshot 20171204 12500101

This has been a fun toy too. Razor drift cart. 24v with a real potentiometer throttle

IMG 20170903 185044750

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!