Really need EVERY Talon owner to participate in this Power Steering Poll

What is the status of your Power Steering? (check all that apply)...

• My steering assist works perfect all the time. It is never weak or inconsistent.

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Weak or inconsistent steering assist when stopped on asphalt.

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • No steering assist (ever) when stopped on asphalt.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Weak or inconsistent steering assist when stopped on concrete.

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • No steering assist (ever) when stopped on concrete.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Weak or inconsistent steering assist when up against an obstacle (such as when rock crawling).

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • No steering assist (ever) when up against an obstacle (such as when rock crawling).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lots of feedback when going over rough terrain like a dirt road imbedded with 3-6" rocks.

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Steering wheel yanked out of your hand when hitting a medium sized obstacle with 1 front tire.

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Partial/momentary loss of steering assist in the approach or apex of a turn,

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Complete loss of steering assist for more than a few seconds requiring cool down of the PS.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Feel insecure driving with only one hand and/or "guarding" the steering wheel with your second hand.

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other. Please post a comment.

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
The steering system is Ok for a stock unit with the small tires. But it only has a 200 amp. system with no cooling of any sort plus up where there is very little air movement. Race Co USA has a 400 amp system with a cooling fan all for a price. They say the rack will put the R3B to shame ( which I find really nice upgrade) and fix the problem but its all for a pretty penny. One more thing to save up for. Just an FYI

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for everyone that has answered the poll so far!!! I know there are a lot more Talon owners in this forum and I would really appreciate it if every Talon owner took a couple minutes to tell me how they rank their power steering. It is important that I test the ECU Relocation and see if it solves the most common issues so I need more data PLEASE!

I built 3 prototype harnesses plus my hacked harness makes 4 test vehicles. I need this data to instruct the testers what scenarios to test most and gauge the improvement in each area.

Again, PLEASE vote in the poll. Even if you don't have problems, just vote for #1 so we know how big each problem really is.

THANKS!!!

Reactions: CID and Blownzuki
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have over 8k miles on mine, on & off road, I have only experienced a loss of assist on asphalt a few times. Same situation, slowing enough to take a 90* turn, tightened up on turn in. Never has happened during spirited trail riding that I recall. Normal rides are 30 - 120 miles long, the couple times I recall were near the end of the ride while heading back home.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have over 8k miles on mine, on & off road, I have only experienced a loss of assist on asphalt a few times. Same situation, slowing enough to take a 90* turn, tightened up on turn in. Never has happened during spirited trail riding that I recall. Normal rides are 30 - 120 miles long, the couple times I recall were near the end of the ride while heading back home.
Consider yourself VERY lucky!!!

The feeling of consistently losing your power assist in the middle of a turn and grazing off a tree or almost going over a sand bank at 35mph is quite unnerving. Pretty much takes the fun out of driving and makes you always "on edge".

Again, consider yourself lucky!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Blownzuki
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
talon x

factory tires

no issues

just picked up a set of 3ox10x15, I guess once I mount them - will have issues

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
X2 and now x4. Both with 32” Carnivores. Piss poor and dangerous. Loss of power steering on roads and descents on trails.seems worse at low RPMs

A

a94cobra

Dec 28, 2021
TX
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I don't recall having any issues. This is my first sxs with factory ps. I added ps to my rhino. Single best mod ever. Are we saying the ps unit overheats?

I'm definately gonna check this out on the next ride and see if I encounter anything.

Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I only have about 300 miles on my Talon at the moment. Have not noticed any loss of PS, driving offroad, offroad in mud, back roads, and a few miles up state road. This was with 28" terrabites. I just put on 30" Megabites, will see if the tire change changes anything over the next few weeks.

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just voted that I have had no issues. Mine is sitting unused at this time, so I can't add anything helpful yet. This all does make me nervous though, to step up to a 30x9.5r15 tire on my stock wheels, if it's going to cause me trouble. What's the hive opinion on this? I don't like the stock tires and I have found some acceptable prices on the 30s.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
When mine fails it's almost always when I'm steeply 'nose down' and almost stopped. If I have to do a 180° K-turn on a narrow jeep road, I back up the bank so I can see what I'm doing going toward the edge. Sometimes it gets pretty steep and this is when mine hangs up. Since I wasn't all that aware of the problem, I didn't take notes on how often it happened.

But this one time at band camp 🤔 - I was in Utah, temps were coolish, the terrain was wide open and easy jeep roads, speeds weren't slow but I wasn't makin' like Robby Gordon either - that SOB failed repeatedly during the day, it freaked me out, mid turn and the PS would quit. It also happened during slow turns on that one day. All dirt and 30" Chicane RX tires with a slightly rounded profile and aired to 10ish pounds. Thankfully, that was a one day event.
scratcher.gif

I'm aware of 'thumb discipline' in case the wheel kicks back when hitting an obstacle but was having trouble remembering it (saw it in my videos) so I taped a Postit to the ROPS over my forehead to help me break a bad habit before I broke a thumb. But the wheel has never kicked back.

I voted - :cool:

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Mine doest fit any one you have posted.
my steering works fine sitting still, but driving down a paved road, and turning left the assist stops, and turning right it weakens, these are sweeping turns in a road.
turning at a light or stop sign there is no assist is I start to move wheel once moving, if I am stopped and turn the wheel It's normal.

some gravel roads where it packed down well and almost as hard as asphalt, I have the same issue. it's easier to turn right than left.
stoped and or rock crawling it's fine.

I run 32" km3 UTV tires at 10 psi, all for front oem wheels.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm shocked that more people don't have trouble with this. I see it reported in the Facebook groups all the time. Seems like those of us with bigger tires have more trouble. Makes sense I suppose.
Only 38% have answered they have no issues. The other 62% say they have some sort of issue. That means that almost 2/3 of the talon owners polled on this forum have some sort of problem with their steering and I would say that is very significant.

This poll is probably a little skewed (people without problems tend not to answer polls) but I think an accurate, random poll would show somewhere between 30-50% have problems and that is still quite significant.

Personally, I have driven about a dozen Talons and none of them had what I would consider as perfect steering. 2 or 3 were adequate and the others I would rank as bad to horrible.

Weird thing is they are not consistent. My 2019 R that started me testing has 30's and was horrible. My other 2019 R with 32''s is one that I consider as adequate.

The other day, I drove a 2021 X4 with 32's and that was the absolute worse machine I have ever driven. It had almost zero assist on pavement even when moving. Owner says it often loses assist in the dirt and his wife refuses to drive it. We will be testing on this machine, stay tuned.

Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
@PaulF Paul, I voted I have no issues but that was with my stock tires. I've since installed 30x10x15's but haven't had a chance to really test the PS with those mounted. We are heading up to Northern AZ for 6 months and I'll have a chance to give you a better evaluation with those tires then.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!