Really need EVERY Talon owner to participate in this Power Steering Poll

What is the status of your Power Steering? (check all that apply)...

• My steering assist works perfect all the time. It is never weak or inconsistent.

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Weak or inconsistent steering assist when stopped on asphalt.

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • No steering assist (ever) when stopped on asphalt.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Weak or inconsistent steering assist when stopped on concrete.

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • No steering assist (ever) when stopped on concrete.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Weak or inconsistent steering assist when up against an obstacle (such as when rock crawling).

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • No steering assist (ever) when up against an obstacle (such as when rock crawling).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lots of feedback when going over rough terrain like a dirt road imbedded with 3-6" rocks.

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Steering wheel yanked out of your hand when hitting a medium sized obstacle with 1 front tire.

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Partial/momentary loss of steering assist in the approach or apex of a turn,

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Complete loss of steering assist for more than a few seconds requiring cool down of the PS.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Feel insecure driving with only one hand and/or "guarding" the steering wheel with your second hand.

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other. Please post a comment.

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I want to vote on this but I dont think my vote would really count since I haven't ridden on any trails in over a year. The times I do drive mine is from backyard garage to front garage just to warm the fluids up and keep the gas from going bad. Im all for any improvements on anything for the talon. Since I'm rebuilding mine I really only want to do it once and not to have to do it again. I have seen Raceco USA cooling system for the power steering set up. I scratch my head thinking is it worth doing or just more money to spend on something that isn't needed. Granted my steering box is stock since nothing aftermarket was out yet when mine broke in half. If its worth buying a better steering set up then I'm all for it. Ill keep watching this post to get smarter on the issue and to get feed back on what everyone else issues are with their steering.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I checked other, I really haven't had a problem but I wouldn't call it perfect either. Seems a bit weak at times but can't really give an example. Compared to my P5 w an aftermarket unit the Talon is weak

Reactions: Blownzuki
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I checked other, I really haven't had a problem but I wouldn't call it perfect either. Seems a bit weak at times but can't really give an example. Compared to my P5 w an aftermarket unit the Talon is weak
Well, that just sucks. :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Blownzuki and 906UP
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I want to vote on this but I dont think my vote would really count since I haven't ridden on any trails in over a year. The times I do drive mine is from backyard garage to front garage just to warm the fluids up and keep the gas from going bad. Im all for any improvements on anything for the talon. Since I'm rebuilding mine I really only want to do it once and not to have to do it again. I have seen Raceco USA cooling system for the power steering set up. I scratch my head thinking is it worth doing or just more money to spend on something that isn't needed. Granted my steering box is stock since nothing aftermarket was out yet when mine broke in half. If its worth buying a better steering set up then I'm all for it. Ill keep watching this post to get smarter on the issue and to get feed back on what everyone else issues are with their steering.

Has anyone tried using a bilge fan on it? A bunch of us used them on the pioneer under the seat to blow engine heat out.

Heat is not an issue for the average rider. Before relocating the ECU, my PS sucked stone cold and made no difference as the day went on, even in 100 degree heat.

Now, if you are a racer or run super hard for extended periods AND find your PS actually fading/diminishing as it heats up, by all means, cool that sucker down. If it sucks when cold, adding a fan will not fix anything.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Heat is not an issue for the average rider. Before relocating the ECU, my PS sucked stone cold and made no difference as the day went on, even in 100 degree heat.

Now, if you are a racer or run super hard for extended periods AND find your PS actually fading/diminishing as it heats up, by all means, cool that sucker down. If it sucks when cold, adding a fan will not fix anything.
10-4. I thought u were moving it for heat issues.

Reactions: Remington
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
10-4. I thought u were moving it for heat issues.
Background - Paul's theory is that the wire gauge is too small for the load of the motor and distance between the EPS ECU and the PS motor. He's moved the ECU up by the PS motor and increased the wire gauge. Initial results have been very promising.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It's only happened to me once. One of the front tires must have been pushed sideways by a rock. The wheel twisted fast and hard. It hurt my thumb. I now hold the wheel with my thumb on the outside of the wheel on rocky roads. I was probably going about 5mph at the time.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Background - Paul's theory is that the wire gauge is too small for the load of the motor and distance between the EPS ECU and the PS motor. He's moved the ECU up by the PS motor and increased the wire gauge. Initial results have been very promising.
I wonder if that is the issue, why not just increase the wire gauge size even more to avoid having to move the ECU? Is there that much power drain even with a larger gauge wire?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wonder if that is the issue, why not just increase the wire gauge size even more to avoid having to move the ECU? Is there that much power drain even with a larger gauge wire?
Paul gives his reasoning and a LOT of useful information here -

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
UPDATE:

Lots of testing happening. 10 day trip in Nevada, Arizona and Sand Hollow. Some very good and some not so good. Trail riding was great, Rock crawling at Sand Hollow was a disaster.

Steering assist is greatly improved but overheating is now a real problem, especially when doing technical maneuvers. The motor and ECU are too close to each other and they both generate heat causing limp mode (ECU reduces/completely kills assist to let it cool down) more easily.

Steering came and went on Wayne's World but then overheated badly and completely lost assist on Double Sammy at the worse possible place. Took me forever to finish the last part. Cooled down at the top while we watched a bunch of Jeeps struggling on the Chute and the assist returned just fine.

Mine is going worse than most, I have a completely closed firewall from hood down to the skids so there is little air flow. I removed my cowl and it improved it somewhat but still overheated on West Rim the next day.

So, back to the drawing board. I have notified my other testers about the issue and am currently working on Prototype #2. Should have new test kits out by the end of the week for more testing and I am headed right back out to Moab for 10 days starting this Saturday so I will be able to thoroughly test the new prototype in the conditions that are giving me the worst problems.

Stay tuned!

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
IIRC, you previously mentioned that the computer allowed higher current to the PS system when in i4WD, and there was a way to bypass it for high current in 2WD. Did you have this bypass on during this ride, or were you always in i4WD?

Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
IIRC, you previously mentioned that the computer allowed higher current to the PS system when in i4WD, and there was a way to bypass it for high current in 2WD. Did you have this bypass on during this ride, or were you always in i4WD?
My test rig has a switchable bypass so I can set it low power (even in 4wd), normal or full power all the time. Because the TorqLocker does cause some steering stiffness, I have tried with mine bypassed to full power all day at the dunes and trail riding without any issues. It is the slow speed stuff that is problematic.

Problems started during crawling in 4WD Low at slow speeds during technical sections. The more turning, the quicker it overheated. Even happened on West Rim and that is very tame (rated 4) but there are couple switchbacks that caused a shutdown. I had the cowl off at this point so as soon as I started moving again, assist returned pretty quickly.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I saw where the pioneer is getting the whole power steering system upgraded on the '22. Wonder if the Talon will follow suit. I haven't looked but imagine its close or the same parts between the 2.

Reactions: Remington and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I saw where the pioneer is getting the whole power steering system upgraded on the '22. Wonder if the Talon will follow suit. I haven't looked but imagine its close or the same parts between the 2.
I saw that too. It appears the motor and ECU are combined into one unit. There are some differences in the u-joints and shafts too. As soon as my dealer has one on the floor, I will investigate and see how much better the pioneer is, what the differences are and if it is feasible to retrofit.

What baffles me is the pioneer is not known for steering issues and the Talon is yet they upgrade the Pioneer??? Honda needs to do more consumer research IMO.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I saw that too. It appears the motor and ECU are combined into one unit. There are some differences in the u-joints and shafts too. As soon as my dealer has one on the floor, I will investigate and see how much better the pioneer is, what the differences are and if it is feasible to retrofit.

What baffles me is the pioneer is not known for steering issues and the Talon is yet they upgrade the Pioneer??? Honda needs to do more consumer research IMO.
My Pioneer steering sucked in the rocks when it got hot. I pulled both arm muscles every ride. Pretty much had to roll to get it to turn. 32" stickys though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!