P500 Really noobie question re Helmets

RODNUT

RODNUT

May 16, 2015
Plumber took the words out of my mouth.....

Do you have a full windshield and door? No=Rocks, sticks, mud to the face = full face helmet with goggles or shield.
Yes=Alot more protected as long as the seat belt stops you from eating the steering wheel = You could probably get away with open face.

I just wouldn't feel comfortable with a bicycle helmet.
Just wondering, has any one out there considered using skiing type helmets? Seems that they would provide fairly good protection,(better than nothing) and provide better vision and comfort.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would agree. Something is better than nothing whether it be a bicycle, skiing, rock climbing or whatever. But, keep in mind....nobody wears those in power sports. Nobody recommends those for power sports.

And, I'm not saying that I would judge, but keep in mind, some folks might not be to polite if they see you roll up in an off road vehicle wearing a dainty bike/ski helmet. Right or wrong people will laugh at you.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
There should never be any question you can't ask, never seen anyone abused on these forums or down talked for needing advice.

I only wear helmets if required but I ride on mostly private land and drive like a granny. Having said that I think a helmet is a good idea.

My advice would be to buy one at a shop in person and see how you like the feel. Ordering online could result in a very bad fit or weight issue. It is one item I would insist on trying on before buying. Same with a mattress lol.

Reactions: scottp500
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would agree. Something is better than nothing whether it be a bicycle, skiing, rock climbing or whatever. But, keep in mind....nobody wears those in power sports. Nobody recommends those for power sports.

And, I'm not saying that I would judge, but keep in mind, some folks might not be to polite if they see you roll up in an off road vehicle wearing a dainty bike/ski helmet. Right or wrong people will laugh at you.

Unfortunately that is the mindset of a lot of people, what looks cool is acceptable but what is odd looking is shunned.
I used to wear a skull cap helmet when I rode my cruiser, till one day I was halfway through a 7hr trip and a rock bounced of the shield of the full face i was wearing because of the rain. I threw the skull cap helmet away at the next gas station.

My kids are gonna look stupid, but their noggin will be protected. Most times I ride fairly slowly but with the speed and power of the 1000 I have been considering a helmet of some sort. Gotta lead my kids by example, if dad thinks he is too cool to wear a helmet there's gonna be no way to get my kids to wear one.

Last edited:
Reactions: lee
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Img thingoutjpgsizeltid20604399

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here we go. Nobody will make fun of anybody for wearing one of these. Old time leather football helmet

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
My advice would be to buy one at a shop in person and see how you like the feel. Ordering online could result in a very bad fit or weight issue. It is one item I would insist on trying on before buying. Same with a mattress lol.

Very good point. The OP mentioned uncomfortable and hard to see out of. Once you break one in and wear a good comfortable helmet long enough you might not even know its there after a while.

Look for a racing helmet. They are designed to be lightweight and easy to see out of.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!