P500 Really noobie question re Helmets

CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
Disclaimer. We are very new to this, so please excuse our lack of knowledge. We have a Honda Pioneer 500 SxS.
About Helmets.
When we rented a SxS in Moab they had us wear full face helmets. We found them cumbersome and hard to see with. Now that we have our own SxS we are wondering how much of a helmet does one REALLY need.

We are looking at open face one like the attached image. But even that seems over-kill to us, when one is strapped into a seat, with a roll bar, and side door panels.

We're currently wearing our cycling helmets until we figure this out. As they are deemed adequate protection for someone on a bike going fast but without all the other protection.

My question, is there a need for such a heavy helmet in a SxS with roll cage, seat belts, and door side panels?

Thank you.
Screen Shot 2015 11 07 at 101436 AM

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Disclaimer. We are very new to this, so please excuse our lack of knowledge. We have a Honda Pioneer 500 SxS.
About Helmets.
When we rented a SxS in Moab they had us wear full face helmets. We found them cumbersome and hard to see with. Now that we have our own SxS we are wondering how much of a helmet does one REALLY need.

We are looking at open face one like the attached image. But even that seems over-kill to us, when one is strapped into a seat, with a roll bar, and side door panels.

We're currently wearing our cycling helmets until we figure this out. As they are deemed adequate protection for someone on a bike going fast but without all the other protection.

My question, is there a need for such a heavy helmet in a SxS with roll cage, seat belts, and door side panels?.

I understand about always error on the side of safety but in my opinion helmets are usually not necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome @CMFox, We are here to support everyone now matter how small or simple the questions.
Though we have discussed helmets we have not in detail. Many say a full motorcycle helmet is the requirement. Like the one seen here --> http://amzn.to/1MhCpAl. But like you I agree they are large and cumbersome.

The one you posted is the Open Face Helmet as seen here --> http://amzn.to/1kBwjn9. These are popular for the other 1/2 of use who like casual everyday riding and not here for the excitement of a fast trail or tough obstacle.
There is a few other options to look at.
The 1/2 helmet referred to as the skull cap. See that here --> http://amzn.to/1NA5ziG. It offers less protection and is popular with those who only need a helmet because they are required to wear one..
There is also the axle off-road helmets found here --> Gear | Product Categories | Axel Off Road Gear and Apparel // Off Road Clothing + Saftey Gear But some of these are not DOT approved.

All of use have helmets, Our stupid decision of leaving it behind will catch up to use one of these days. I have to say.. I am guilty also only wearing mine when I am required or sometimes when on a difficult trail. Honestly, we all need to do a better job and protect our selves on the trail...

Not sure I answered your question but I hoped I helped some.

Reactions: CMFox
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I’m going to stick my neck out and answer this.
Let me warn you that a lot of people will poo-poo what I have to say, I expect some to even post below about it.

I have ridden with the HondaSxS crew a few times.
I always where my helmet and use the door nets and seat belt.
I use a DOT approved motocross helmet because I ride ATVs and have an old Odyssey as well, so I can jump on another vehicle and the safety gear is pretty much the same (no thinking is better for me).
My personal preference is for a DOT helmet and not a SNELL.
I believe the SNELL approved helmets are harder on your brain when you use the helmet.
They are set up to take a double hit and still protect your skull, but the lining and shell give less.
SNELL might be better for on road use where doing the rag doll on the highway is a more likely possibility.

For strictly SxS usage, an open helmet might be OK.
There are several factors that you might consider when deciding.
If the helmet is a pain to use you are less likely to use it.
I have heard that a full helmet offers more neck protection in a frontal impact.

I would not recommend using a bicycle helmet, they are designed for use on a flat hard surface, like a road.
If you watch BMX or downhill mountain bikes they have helmets that are looking more like a full face MX helmet.
I think the most likely thing your head will contact will be the ROPS or the ground.
From riding my Odyssey the cage has left red striped on my helmet on three sides, the P500 really is much better for this.
But in a roll over event things happen fast, banging your head is easy to do.

And another note on safety gear, use the nets and seat belts.
Most injuries for SxS come from rollovers where the occupant is ejected.
Not rolling over is the best defense but I have rolled 3 times so it is difficult to say this is a good defensive strategy.
The net closes with the door so it is easy to use.
It will keep your limbs inside if you do roll.
The seat belt will prevent you from being ejected, it’s really easy to use, just like your car.

Apart from that, have fun with your new toy.
Used responsibly they are a great way to enjoy the outdoors and can be a good social outlet.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’m going to stick my neck out and answer this.
Let me warn you that a lot of people will poo-poo what I have to say, I expect some to even post below about it.

I have ridden with the HondaSxS crew a few times.
I always where my helmet and use the door nets and seat belt.
I use a DOT approved motocross helmet because I ride ATVs and have an old Odyssey as well, so I can jump on another vehicle and the safety gear is pretty much the same (no thinking is better for me).
My personal preference is for a DOT helmet and not a SNELL.
I believe the SNELL approved helmets are harder on your brain when you use the helmet.
They are set up to take a double hit and still protect your skull, but the lining and shell give less.
SNELL might be better for on road use where doing the rag doll on the highway is a more likely possibility.

For strictly SxS usage, an open helmet might be OK.
There are several factors that you might consider when deciding.
If the helmet is a pain to use you are less likely to use it.
I have heard that a full helmet offers more neck protection in a frontal impact.

I would not recommend using a bicycle helmet, they are designed for use on a flat hard surface, like a road.
If you watch BMX or downhill mountain bikes they have helmets that are looking more like a full face MX helmet.
I think the most likely thing your head will contact will be the ROPS or the ground.
From riding my Odyssey the cage has left red striped on my helmet on three sides, the P500 really is much better for this.
But in a roll over event things happen fast, banging your head is easy to do.

And another note on safety gear, use the nets and seat belts.
Most injuries for SxS come from rollovers where the occupant is ejected.
Not rolling over is the best defense but I have rolled 3 times so it is difficult to say this is a good defensive strategy.
The net closes with the door so it is easy to use.
It will keep your limbs inside if you do roll.
The seat belt will prevent you from being ejected, it’s really easy to use, just like your car.

Apart from that, have fun with your new toy.
Used responsibly they are a great way to enjoy the outdoors and can be a good social outlet.

@CMFox Welcome to the Club! and on your P500 purchase, it is a highly versatile machine.
Great post by @lee . and very sound advice.
I am guilty of wearing helmets mostly when required or its just so cold they help keep me warm. The seatbelts I ALWAYS wear, I am a strong proponent of 4 point restraints over just a seat belt. for one they really keep you put when adjusted properly actually makes a rough ride far more comfortable and on the odd chance you roll it even on its top you stay exactly where you were without any chance of hitting your body on other parts of the SXS or terrain. Aside from the helmets I lean towards the better designed safety restraints and suspension seats for comfort, safety and protection. Even the little P500 can have such features like I installed in mine.

Here is what I am referring to on the 4 point restraints and suspension seats in a P500:
20150912 132204 zpsyap9ntcu

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
When my daughter visits, (she's 15 and required by law to wear a helmet) I wear a helmet. If I am going to a rough trail, or one with tip hazards I wear a helmet. When I ride a motorcycle I wear a helmet (even though it's not required in Maine). My brother had a motorcycle accident when he was 28 and he was not wearing a helmet, he had a long road to recovery and struggled a lot, so now I wear a helmet when I should and I always do when my daughter is around cuz I want to show her how important it is. If I am just putt putting around the yard and the kid is at her moms, I don't wear the helmet.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I high-sided a motorcycle about 10 years ago now, wearing leathers and a helmet. The amount of damage done to the helmet and not to my head was astounding (an argument could be made there was some damage done but I think it was previous to this) I will always wear a helmet on a motorcycle, I've considered it on a SXS. Even if it's just a full face downhill MtBike helmet to keep my skull off the ROPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33 and CMFox
CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
I high-sided a motorcycle about 10 years ago now, wearing leathers and a helmet. The amount of damage done to the helmet and not to my head was astounding (an argument could be made there was some damage done but I think it was previous to this) I will always wear a helmet on a motorcycle, I've considered it on a SXS. Even if it's just a MtBike helmet to keep my skull off the ROPS.

ROPS?

advertisement
CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
@CMFox Welcome to the Club! and on your P500 purchase, it is a highly versatile machine.
Great post by @lee . and very sound advice.
I am guilty of wearing helmets mostly when required or its just so cold they help keep me warm. The seatbelts I ALWAYS wear, I am a strong proponent of 4 point restraints over just a seat belt. for one they really keep you put when adjusted properly actually makes a rough ride far more comfortable and on the odd chance you roll it even on its top you stay exactly where you were without any chance of hitting your body on other parts of the SXS or terrain. Aside from the helmets I lean towards the better designed safety restraints and suspension seats for comfort, safety and protection. Even the little P500 can have such features like I installed in mine.

Here is what I am referring to on the 4 point restraints and suspension seats in a P500:
20150912 132204 zpsyap9ntcu
The souped up Polaris Rzr 1000 that we rented in Moab, had these kinds of seats and seatbelts. The rocks in Moab are larger then what we are riding over here in Central Oregon. But I do like the look of this set up. Thanks.

CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
I have destroyed 2 helmets coming off my bike (pedal). I'm a helmet believer....its just the size & weight of even the open face is a big difference from a bike helmet. These comments are helpful and we will prolly go ahead with the open face helmets, and wear em.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have destroyed 2 helmets coming off my bike (pedal). I'm a helmet believer....its just the size & weight of even the open face is a big difference from a bike helmet. These comments are helpful and we will prolly go ahead with the open face helmets, and wear em.

I meant full face MtBike helmet.

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
I dont wear a helmet but where we ride we only go a few miles an hour and no real steep hills. BUT if you ride fast and its a possibility to roll your head will split open like a watermelon from either the roll bar itself or the ground.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

And MX helmets are more suited to off-rd use.

Reactions: Buckster
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got this HJC FG-Jet Open-Face Motorcycle Helmet | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC open face with sun visor for spring-summer- fall trail rides. If it sits comfortably then no pain to wear it. For my head it was always to find the right shape :) . Always wear my Shoei when ride on motocycle , I work in the field where I see crashed skulls from moto accident a lot and have been a witness of HD guy wearing bandana and crushed his skull over dividing town road concrete barrier. This made me a beliver to wear it no matter how sweaty my head gets in the summer. In Montana mostly of riders I observe wear no helmets, and unfortunately most of them HD owners, which I belong myself. And I had unpleasant occasion when I skid about 50 yards and thanks to God did not low or high sided. Anyway helmet is a must for long day rides, especially when u get fatigued and dont pay attention so much and prone for accident.
When I hunt I use 2-3 gear mostly and go no more thne 12 miles/h, then no helmet for me, just ear plug protection.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't wear a helmet, if I didn't have a full windshield I would. If you ride with others there's a very good chance that they can easily kick up a rock and knock your teeth out or an eye. I've caught a few rocks on the atv and one busted my goggles. Also sticks and branches can get you easily in the face, but a windshield has saved my bacon a few times.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Plumber took the words out of my mouth.....

Do you have a full windshield and door? No=Rocks, sticks, mud to the face = full face helmet with goggles or shield.
Yes=Alot more protected as long as the seat belt stops you from eating the steering wheel = You could probably get away with open face.

I just wouldn't feel comfortable with a bicycle helmet.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!