Rear Axle Help

L

longbeards

Feb 25, 2014
HELP...,,I was hualing a load of wood with a trailer today and messed up,,unhooked the trailer with a good pick up of wood on it,,,went in and filled my woodstove leaving the UTV running,,,came out and it had drifted back and hit the trailer hitch,,,KNOCKING a sensor off the rear axle,,it is right in the top center of the axle,,,

Can you tell me what this sensor is, broke it off!! Any idea if I can change it myself or do I need to go to Honda?? And how much are they?

THANKS GUYS!
longbeards

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey long. Its the speed sensor. Tells the computer how fast it is traveling. I'm not sure if it is used for shifting or other things though.
It can be easley replaced as long as the wireharness side is not messed up.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Part # 37700-HP5-601 it's $46 from Rocky Mountain ATV. But dealer may be able to get it faster for $55.

L

longbeards

Feb 25, 2014
Thanks guys,,,took a little sweat off of me!! I assume I can drive it till I get a new one?

Does it just plug into axle?
thanks again

longbeards
wv

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Long..
not 100% sure.
You said it broke completely off?
The shift mapping and other systems could be linked to it. Or could not....
Also it should give a error code as well on the display after a short time.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Its just held in by the screw.
Its job is to count the rotations of the ring.

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 465
L

longbeards

Feb 25, 2014
HONDASXS

Thanks for the diagram,,have it out and calling my closest dealer in the am,,,snow coming so I need to get it up and running!!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Now after seeing that this could be a potential problem eg: out trail riding in the middle of the bush and say having to back up and lets say a stick or log in just the right spot ends up doing what your trailer hitch did. So now what is a person stuck out in the bush not being able to drive the machine out, or will it still run and work to get you back home. If it ends up being a non running machine then I'll have to fab some sort of shield / protector for that sensor. I'll have to take a look at mine today just to see how exposed it actually is to a potential hit from a stick etc: Thanks for posting and sharing this problem with us.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Slow, your right. Hopefully Long will take it for a short spin and report back.

There is always the emergency bypass. I guess it would be a good idea to post a write-up on it. It could come in handy in more instances then one wishes to think about.

L

longbeards

Feb 25, 2014
First thanks for all the help!

I ordered a new sensor from my local dealer,will be in Friday,,,told me no problem running it,,but should be replace asap,,Honda should have a steel guard in from of it so it is protected!! longbeards

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Longbeards,
You never said and we would like to know in case it ever happens to us.

Did you drive it broken?
Did it effect the drive any?
Gear shifting or give any display errors?

Thanks

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Guess if we just unplug our's it'll be the same thing,just to try to see what happen,s. It's to cold right now for me to try -30 c or -23 f don't feel like doing much except staying in doors. Once the holidays are over will start doing stuff regardless of the cold. LOL Drove the pioneer around yesterday [took the dog for her daily run] plus pulled the trail drag at the same time , and it sure warmed up nicely in the cab. All the pioneer needs to do is work a bit and you get lots of heat out of the heater.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!