BOX1

P700 rear axle

BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY

May 4, 2015
I have a 14 700,it really isn't ridden hard. I believe I have a rear cv joint going out. It only has 475 miles on it. Courious if this is a common problem? The boot is not torn,it feels as if the right rear gets in a bind,not popping just binding

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 14 700,it really isn't ridden hard. I believe I have a rear cv joint going out. It only has 475 miles on it. Courious if this is a common problem? The boot is not torn,it feels as if the right rear gets in a bind,not popping just binding

that would be very uncommon. I guess its possible that something go inside and damaged it.

do you pressure wash it?

are there any signs of grease slinging out?

do you have an extended warranty?

is it lifted? maybe the CV has been over extended.

lastly, it could be a defective part. the replacement is easy if you choose to purchase an entire axle.

here is a link to purchase a replacement. (note, this may not be the correct side)
Amazon.com: 2014 Honda SXS700M4 Pioneer 700-4 ATV UTV Rear Right Complete CV Axle Assembly Rear Passenger Side: Automotive

here is a thread I did on the repair of a P700 CV, there may be some info in here to help you.
P700 - CV repair and boot replacement.

Reactions: Tflynn
BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY

May 4, 2015
Thanks,I don't pressure wash it. Just didn't know if it is a common problem or not. I have never had a problem with it,really love this machine. I will probably replace both rear axles with the beefier units from Rhino axles. I hardly ever wash it,when I do its with the garden hose. The boots are in good shape,no holes or tears. I suppose
It's just a failure. No extended warranty so this one is on me.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks,I don't pressure wash it. Just didn't know if it is a common problem or not. I have never had a problem with it,really love this machine. I will probably replace both rear axles with the beefier units from Rhino axles. I hardly ever wash it,when I do its with the garden hose. The boots are in good shape,no holes or tears. I suppose
It's just a failure. No extended warranty so this one is on me.

good luck with the repair and BTW, welcome to HondaSXS.com hang around if you like, we got lots of info and nice people but always learn something new from new members every week.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
As @joeymt33 said that is an uncommon failure. I put over 3000 miles on mine until I finally tore a boot. And like you are considering, I replaced with Rhino axles. I wouldn't expect this to happen again out of the blue like that, probably just a one time thing. Here is a thread on my rhino axle install-

P700 - SuperATV Rhino axle install

Reactions: joeymt33
Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Are you sure it's not just in a bind from turning? Remember the rears are positive drive with no slack and when you turn one wheel has to slip because the turn radius is different for each tire. the tire with the least traction is going to slip, it has to; its in a bind because of the turn. Just a thought! I've got 2280 miles on mine and never had a problem with CV's or axles and never heard of it until now. Lynn

BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY

May 4, 2015
Are you sure it's not just in a bind from turning? Remember the rears are positive drive with no slack and when you turn one wheel has to slip because the turn radius is different for each tire. the tire with the least traction is going to slip, it has to; its in a bind because of the turn. Just a thought! I've got 2280 miles on mine and never had a problem with CV's or axles and never heard of it until now. Lynn

BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY

May 4, 2015
No,I know how it feels and sounds normally. Something is not right with it,I'm going to pull the axle and try to isolate the problem.

BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY

May 4, 2015
I realize that I didn't get in the correct post,but I am very new to all of this. I pulled the rear axle and found that the outboard cv joint was VERY stiff and hard to move,totally disassembled the joint,didn't see any thing that was visually bad,all the bearings were good cage intact and full or grease,boot had no rips or tears. There was obviously some type of failure. Just got it all put back together with new rhino ales from Super atv,fantastic product and company.It's now smooth as new. Thanks for all of the replies.

Reactions: Tflynn
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!