P700 rear brakes bind up after 10 minutes of riding

S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
I have 2014 700-2. The rear brakes start binding up after 10 minutes of riding. I replaced the brake pads and still continued to bind up. I then replaced the master cylinder and rear rotor. I bled the brakes making sure no air in lines. Worked ok first couple of rides . Now it's doing the same thing. The brake pedal gets tight and I have to go to the bleeder valve to release the pressure. I can then go for another 10 to 15 minutes before they begin to lock up again. Anyone had the same problem or have any ideas.

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have you cleaned and greased the caliper pins, they have to slide freely so the pads can retract 'a bit'. If not, they'll drag, heat up the fluid and squeeze the brakes.

S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
Have you cleaned and greased the caliper pins, they have to slide freely so the pads can retract 'a bit'. If not, they'll drag, heat up the fluid and squeeze the brakes.
Failed to mention that i also replaced the caliper.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
Sometimes the rubber hose collapses a bit and acts like a check valve. Usually on older stuff, but worth a shot.
I will check that out. What's odd is my hunting buddy has a 2018 Pioneer 500 and his front brakes started doing the same thing. at about the same time. He just drained his brake fluid and ended his problem. Doesn't have any brakes but they don't stick now. I prefer to have brakes. Thanks

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I will check that out. What's odd is my hunting buddy has a 2018 Pioneer 500 and his front brakes started doing the same thing. at about the same time. He just drained his brake fluid and ended his problem. Doesn't have any brakes but they don't stick now. I prefer to have brakes. Thanks
Yeah...brakes are kinda nice sometimes.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh...and please let us know what the fix is.

So many people ask questions and never come back or tell us what fixed this or that. Following up really helps the poor sucker down the road with the same issue.

1950Willys

1950Willys

Apr 4, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2014 also had rear brake issues over the weekend. Riding Buckhorn trails in NW Arkansas and about 9 miles into a 23 mile ride the brakes started sounding like pure metal to metal contact. It sounded like front left brake grinding and at the time was more concerned of getting it back to trailer than trail fix. It made the noise several times when brakes were not being applied so I was thinking major issues. Once home and washed off I drove on street and only when brake pressed did it grind. Sounds were coming from rear. I checked rear rotor and it was freshly gouged. I searched forum and found video from Youtube called "hillclimb and rear braking noise. It was exactly what I was hearing except mine sounded much louder but that may have been the 45 degree headed down a mountainside scared feeling. My question is how do you get the rear brake rotor off? I downloaded shop manual but it doesn't cover rotor removal only brake pad replace. Do you have to remove rear diff enough to get it off or does driveshaft slide somehow?

IMG 4062 IMG 4063

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 2014 also had rear brake issues over the weekend. Riding Buckhorn trails in NW Arkansas and about 9 miles into a 23 mile ride the brakes started sounding like pure metal to metal contact. It sounded like front left brake grinding and at the time was more concerned of getting it back to trailer than trail fix. It made the noise several times when brakes were not being applied so I was thinking major issues. Once home and washed off I drove on street and only when brake pressed did it grind. Sounds were coming from rear. I checked rear rotor and it was freshly gouged. I searched forum and found video from Youtube called "hillclimb and rear braking noise. It was exactly what I was hearing except mine sounded much louder but that may have been the 45 degree headed down a mountainside scared feeling. My question is how do you get the rear brake rotor off? I downloaded shop manual but it doesn't cover rotor removal only brake pad replace. Do you have to remove rear diff enough to get it off or does driveshaft slide somehow?

View attachment 263765 View attachment 263766
I’m not sure but I think you are correct. Pull the rear final drive and then the drive shaft should pull out. The rotor bolts to the shaft. 😎

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!