P1000 Rear control rusting bad

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve noticed that the front side of the rear control arms are very rusty. It appears that the front tires must throw a lot of debris directly into the rear control arms, shocks, and springs. Anyone else notice this on their machines? I’ve never had this on any other ATV before.

85C9EA4A EB50 4B96 998F 3C9BB7A1B4CE

Reactions: BWAF
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had it happen on all my machines, never really bothered me before but this one seems as bad and I was hoping it would be better.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And salt water?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks completely sandblasted. Bare steel.

The only thing worse is having full A-arm guards and having all the powdercoat pop off the weld joints. I don't have the sand blast effect which is really common riding in Northern WI and MI, but the paint finish sucks. I have a spare set of a-arms on the shelf so someday they'll look less used again.

Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve noticed that the front side of the rear control arms are very rusty. It appears that the front tires must throw a lot of debris directly into the rear control arms, shocks, and springs. Anyone else notice this on their machines? I’ve never had this on any other ATV before.

View attachment 90177
Is it toed out or in ?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
It's because Honda is trying to build their machines as cheaply as possible, cutting corners on not prepping the metal as necessary for adhesion and corrosion resistance. Powder coating is crap without the metal being treated with a phosphoric acid conversion coating or by sandblasting.
You can't paint right over shiny smooth steel and expect a good result.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Powder Coating. One of the worlds greatest scams.

I wonder if you could rhino line those areas when you're done riding for the season. Stuff takes months to cure but when it does it's tough.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Buford That doesn’t look like the coating started peeling that looks like it’s been blasted by rocks.

I don’t know what coating or prep you think will hold up to that.

I have 1500 miles on mine and the shock springs are shiny as new and a-arms only have powder coat gone from the bottom where I slide over rocks. I avoid high speed gravel though I like to ride dirt and trails. I know others with double or triple whose suspension other than scuffs looks like new.

I rode a good bit of high speed gravel at windrock in my 700 ONCE and THAT looks exactly like the damage I incurred. EVERYTHING was pock marked afterward. I had to rattle can everything.

Last edited:
advertisement
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Powder Coating. One of the worlds greatest scams.

I wonder if you could rhino line those areas when you're done riding for the season. Stuff takes months to cure but when it does it's tough.

I'm not a fan at all for powdercoating. It's probably fine if the proper prep work is done, but most of the manufacturer's are too cheap to do that.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
@Buford That doesn’t look like the coating started peeling that looks like it’s been blasted by rocks.

I don’t know what coating or prep you think will hold up to that.

I hadn't pulled up the pic and looked closely at it, and I agree that's what it looks like. But there are several cases of paint peeling off of areas on the frames, roll bars, racks, etc. (atv's and sxs's) that haven't been blasted with by any rocks. Spots that once moisture gets underneath it goes to work and big pieces will peel off. Metal that's treated or blasted and has a good quality primer, preferably epoxy, would not do that.
Besides the previously mentioned catalyzed bedliner material, there are some real high quality automotive paint products that I will bet money on that can hold up significantly better that what Honda is using in areas such as that control arm.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well my rig defiantly sees a lot of gravel and at higher speed. Northern WI has a lot of old rail grade and gravel road routes. My Pioneer has never seen any kind of salt or even snow. The front tires were toed out when I first got the machine, but I corrected it once I noticed the tire wear. I ride this machine as I’ve always ridden my other ATV’s. Same terrain, conditions, and pace. Never noticed any wear on the arms and shocks like this thing has. Kinda poor....

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As you can maybe tell in the pics, I just installed a new set of original Bighorns yesterday. That probably won’t help the sandblasting effect one bit.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hadn't pulled up the pic and looked closely at it, and I agree that's what it looks like. But there are several cases of paint peeling off of areas on the frames, roll bars, racks, etc. (atv's and sxs's) that haven't been blasted with by any rocks. Spots that once moisture gets underneath it goes to work and big pieces will peel off. Metal that's treated or blasted and has a good quality primer, preferably epoxy, would not do that.
Besides the previously mentioned catalyzed bedliner material, there are some real high quality automotive paint products that I will bet money on that can hold up significantly better that what Honda is using in areas such as that control arm.

I am not above criticism when it’s due but blasted by gravel is abuse few coatings that are economical enough for mass production are going to hold up to. There are some EXPENSIVE specialized coating that will hold up to more abuse but gravel I think would still beat them away.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am not above criticism when it’s due but blasted by gravel is abuse few coatings that are economical enough for mass production are going to hold up to. There are some EXPENSIVE specialized coating that will hold up to more abuse but gravel I think would still beat them away.

Good point. Over time not much will hold up. Have you ever seen how moving corn and beans eat through metal?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 90177
Not at all.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!