P1000 rear diff. Pinion seal

M

Mitch89445

Aug 4, 2018
Winnemucca Nv.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello I’ve got a 1000-5 with a little over 2200 miles on it and an smelling gear oil. It’s coming from the rear pinyon seal. Anyone doing these them selves? Is it real difficult to do? I will be glad to tackle it if it’s just the seal however if it means rebuilding the differential I may reconsider. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello I’ve got a 1000-5 with a little over 2200 miles on it and an smelling gear oil. It’s coming from the rear pinyon seal. Anyone doing these them selves? Is it real difficult to do? I will be glad to tackle it if it’s just the seal however if it means rebuilding the differential I may reconsider. Thanks for any input.
Did you just do this @JTW ?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Did you just do this @JTW ?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
I ended up keeping the pinion in mine when I replaced the shaft as it wasn’t leaking... @joeymt33 replaced his however.

Reactions: BWAF
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ve replaced two or three so far, can’t remember. The first time sucks and the second time sucks less.

Remove the differential and work on it on a work bench. It’s pretty simple to remove. Just disconnect everything and the differential comes out the bottom once you get it oriented properly.

Use some o-ring picks to compress the ring in the piece shown below. Don’t put a puller on it.

There’s a ring in between the splines in this picture. I know it’s hard to see from the pic

F084fcf15306de71c8dfaa7845dd0ee5

Here’s the ring
863fd4676358a259cb6904b4268f3b8b

Here’s a new one next to the old one that I broke trying to use the puller
059bbcab1a67f41dc4b456f45fbb2c9a

After removing that piece you should be able to run a screw in the old seal and pull it out. I recommend using some silicone sealant on the new seal because they don’t fit very tight.

Reactions: Rambo, JTW and BWAF
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your machine happens to be under warranty take it in, they covered mine.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve replaced two or three so far, can’t remember. The first time sucks and the second time sucks less.

Remove the differential and work on it on a work bench. It’s pretty simple to remove. Just disconnect everything and the differential comes out the bottom once you get it oriented properly.

Use some o-ring picks to compress the ring in the piece shown below. Don’t put a puller on it.

There’s a ring in between the splines in this picture. I know it’s hard to see from the pic

View attachment 92785

Here’s the ring
View attachment 92786

Here’s a new one next to the old one that I broke trying to use the puller
View attachment 92787

After removing that piece you should be able to run a screw in the old seal and pull it out. I recommend using some silicone sealant on the new seal because they don’t fit very tight.

The dealer mentioned the seal didn't fit tight after the first replacement started leaking within 40 miles. The second one got RTV'd in place.

Reactions: joeymt33
M

Mitch89445

Aug 4, 2018
Winnemucca Nv.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the good info.
I’m the second owner so I’m thinking the warrantee out. So I will either tackle it myself or take it in and bite the bullet. Not sure yet of all the parts I might need. Nearest dealer here is 120 miles east.
Did your diff. Have any bearing issues causing the seal to fail prematurely?
Seams very quick to lose a pinyon seal.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I’m the second owner so I’m thinking the warrantee out. So I will either tackle it myself or take it in and bite the bullet. Not sure yet of all the parts I might need. Nearest dealer here is 120 miles east.
U dont know joey and his normal driving habits lol. Check the vent line for plugging first.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Seems that the tolerance on the rear diff pinion seal bore is a little loose. My dealer had to put a bit of RTV on the seal before pressing the second replacement seal in. The original seal lasted 600 miles, the second one 60, and the third (with rtv) now has 1100.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Seems that the tolerance on the rear diff pinion seal bore is a little loose. My dealer had to put a bit of RTV on the seal before pressing the second replacement seal in. The original seal lasted 600 miles, the second one 60, and the third (with rtv) now has 1100.

That’s what I did. When I pushed the seal in by hand I knew there was no way it would stay in place with out some adhesive

Reactions: JTW
Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this is an old thread. But has anyone done this without removing the entire diff?

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I couldn't get the coupler off, could I use a puller, the only way I can figure to get it
From memory if you unbolt the diff and slide it to the back of the machine, this will allow the propeller shaft to come out of the diff.
It's kinda a tight fit but you can then remove the pinion seal, just hook the seal with a pick or a seal puller.
When you say coupler are you talking about the cover that is on the propeller shaft, if so no need to remove.
One thing to note when putting the new seal in, don't push it in to far. It should set flush with the diff housing.

Reactions: TripleB
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a few picture from where I recently did mine. I tried to do by sliding back and just ended up taking out of the machine and doing on the bench. You can see below what the seal looks like after you get the cover off - I tried but could not get the snap rings off like Joey did.. at that point I was a little frustrated and lightly tapped the side with a mallet and it just popped off Yea! I did have to drill and insert a screw in the old seal to get it out
IMG 6151 IMG 6153 IMG 6154 IMG 6152

O yea just know this stake is suppose to be there because I thought i did that at first.
IMG 6155

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!